Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
BallFour

Unrealistic Expectations

From my brief browsing of the forum, it appears that many are disappointed with the Nook Color update.  This may be just due to the nature of an internet forum where the the majority of people who take the time to go to a forum, do so because they have strong feelings to start with.  But, I think the real reason for disappointment is unrealistic expectations. 

The NC is not an IPad Competitor.  No one should expect the NC to compete with an Ipad. I rooted my nook for a couple of weeks and it is simply not as robust as an Ipad.  Even the Nook has powerful hardware for an e-reader, it is not equipped to run the apps that an Ipad can run.  For that reason, I brought my Nook back to stock and decided to simply use as an e-reader until the update.

No one should be surprised that B&N is controlling the number of apps.   They will want to ensure that the NC is capable of running the app without frustration before approving it.  I was surprised at the number of apps initially available.  After my experience rooting, I expected 10 - 20 apps to start.  I've seen a couple of comments regarding Netflix.  I do not see anyway this will ever happen on the NC.  First Netflix is not currently available as an Android app due to the lack of appropriate DRM.  

Overall, I've been pleased with the NC update.  (and I had the reset issue).  I've downloaded 4 or 5 apps that run fairly well on the NC.  However, I am basing my judgment on the NC as an e-reader with additional features rather than a tablet.

B&N Bookseller
Brad_W

Re: Unrealistic Expectations

I agree with you.  In fact, reviewers are often misleading others because they just don't understand where to place the Nook Color and what to actually compare it to. 

I love the selection of apps and the features with the new update.  The Oceanhouse Media Dr. Suess apps, the PopOut! Peter Rabbit, and Boyton's "The Go to Bed Book" app really show off the amazing ability to truly bring children's picture books to life.  As well, you really begin to see the great educational piece for children. 

Also, if you haven't noticed . . . Vook ebooks are in the Nookbook store as well.  You'll see the designation of "Enhanced Version".  These are wild because they embed video into the ebooks and really make the reading experience far richer. 

The social aspects are great because reading is social. That just keeps getting better with Nook Friends (beta). 

Great points.

With purpose and on purpose
Frequent Contributor
ratman6161

If you have been following what's going on in the Andoid phone world, Google has been comming under a lot of fire lately for failing to put any kind of controls on the quality of Apps available in the Android Market.  The problem with that is that the platform itself often looks bad when apps aren't well done.  Also, devices like the Xoom often come under fire because you can load any Andorid app on them but most apps are not optimized for the larger screen on a tablet (as opposed to a phone) - which many of its users don't seem to understand. 

By controlling its own market, B&N protects itself and its platform from being cast in a negative light by things that it didn't build; much like Apple has done with iOS.  The downside of course is that the numbers of apps are going to be lower too. 

But it all goes back to expectations.  My expectation when I bought the Nook Color was that it would be a great reader that could also do a few other things on the side.  The 1.2 update finally gives me those "other things on the side", particularly email - so I'm happy with it.  Anytime I'm going to do something more robust, I wouldn't be reaching for a tablet of any kind anyway - I'd be reaching for a full fledged laptop or desktop.

Frequent Contributor
apachedug
0 Kudos

But it all goes back to expectations. My expectation when I bought the Nook Color was that it would be a great reader that could also do a few other things on the side. The 1.2 update finally gives me those "other things on the side", particularly email - so I'm happy with it. Anytime I'm going to do something more robust, I wouldn't be reaching for a tablet of any kind anyway - I'd be reaching for a full fledged laptop or desktop.

Ratman, that sums up the NC experience so well--very nicely said.  

Contributor
BallFour
0 Kudos

I did forget to mention in my original post that I do wish B&N would allow trial use (1 day) or even a couple of hours apps so that you could delete the app within that time frame and not be charged for the app.  I believe the androin marketplace offers this? or offered it in the past?.  It would be helpful in the B&N marketplace until more reviews of apps are available.  

Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats

The only expection (or wish) I had was the landscape mode for books.

I could care less about the apps.

Sigh.........

Nook Color Wallpapers
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I completely agree on the landscape mode reading.  There are so many customers that would benefit from that, especially since most of the cases only stand up on their own properly in landscape orientation.

I also hope that BN figures out what's wrong with the new network client and sorts it.  I'm surprised by how many folks are having so much trouble with it - some to the point of needing to buy a new access point to suppor the nook post-update. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Correspondent
DrAstro
0 Kudos

I have a feeling that all the people that are dissapointed with the number of apps would be just as dissapointed if they got a full market where not every app would work and some apps would cause their system to crash.  I'm running CM7 from an SD card and can install all the apps that I want.  Some of them work, some of them work for a while and then cause the whole thing to crash, some of them just don't work at all.  I realize i'm running software that isn't technically intended to be run, so I can understand these little issues and i'm fine with them. 

If BN allowed full market access on their stock software, I imagine these types of problems would occur for all users.  While I'm fine with it happening on my non-suported software, it shouldn't happen on the official software.  I would imagine that apps have to be tested in a myriad of different situations and that they have to be confirmed to not do anything strange that might cause a crash.  It would be a disaster for BN to respond to all the complaints that would happen from apps not working.  Just look at the XDA forums where rooters are trying to fix their app issues and you'd get a taste of what BN would have to deal with if they gave full market access.  They're controlling the experience to assure its quality (just like apples app store).  I've said it before, if you want something that just works, you have to pay for it.  If you want more functionality and will be your own tech support, then root.

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

The Android Market allows 15 minutes to change your mind once you buy an app.

As of the landscape issue, I think that has to do more with ePubs than with B&N. Does anyone know of an ePub reader that allows landscape mode?

Inspired Contributor
crabbybob
0 Kudos

I agree with your observation regarding unrealistic expectations, but I think it's a consequence of B&N deciding to market an e-reader+.  It's more than an e-reader but less than a tablet, so I can see where people would get frustrated trying to figure out exactly what it is they bought and what it should do. 

I saw a post where someone said it needed a VPN client, and another post where someone was bothered because he couldn't log out of his email client.  VPN and a full featured email client have limited value without a full size key board, a lot of expandable disk space, and a faster processer.  So I don't see their reasoning.

On the otherhand someone in this thread complained that books are can't be read with the device held horizontally, which is something I also find annoying.  To me that's a significant deficiency because it goes to the core of what B&N is marketing.

Clearly in trying to find a niche for the NC B&N has found a grey area where consumers from both markets are unhappy.  I think B&N should scuttle the app store and keep just the e-reader along with a basic web browser and email client.  They should stop development on anything that doesn't improve the core functionality of the device.

DrAstro
0 Kudos

I agree that they're in a grey area here!  They're marketing it as a "readers tablet".  I can understand why they came up with this marketing term, but its not very well thought out.  Readers want more reading functionality.  They really need to make sure that works and address the reading functions, no matter what.  By sticking the word "tablet" they're walking a fine line.  The readers are saying "I only want a reader, what are apps?  i dont need them" and the tablet people are saying "no camera, no 3g, not enough apps, this thing sucks".  I like the app store idea but they need to back off a bit on the tablet speak and push the reader-tablet angle...i.e. that this is not a full-fledged tablet, but a tablet with lots of great features for readers!  And then of course, they need to make sure that all the reading functions work well!

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif

[ Edited ]

Ballfour,  you stated  ("From my brief browsing"), then you went into your speculation from what you admit is a tiny sample, which is: many are disappointed with Nookcolor and/or the update due to unrealistic expectations.

First to discern if NC owners suffer from unrealistic expectations regarding the update, somehow you will have to separate the B&N Server Reset fiasco from those that have successfully updated to 1.2. A lot of noise was created (justifiably) when the B&N server reset occurred, that noise starting on this forum and twitter, was picked up and amplified by bloggers who are looking for anything to print and they incorrectly repeat like many who were wrong on this forum, that the Server Reset was related to the 1.2 Update. Even some legitimate news sources reprinted the bloggers claims adding even more noise and misinformation.

So for the sake of discussion let’s just stick to the 1.2 update and Nookcolor in general.

Prior to the Update, and since the update.  I haven't seen very many posters on this forum say: "I wanted an Ipad, but I bought a Nookcolor because it is a cheaper tablet that does the same thing".  I have yet to read in any news sources the same: "buy a Nookcolor because you save at least $250 and it does the same thing a Ipad does".

I have seen posters and news sources say:  I bought a Nookcolor because it is a great ereader and can also pass as a tablet with a lot of features/functions similar to a Ipad, plus it sells for only $250.

You're assumption is that people thought they were getting a Porsche but got a VW beetle instead.  I disagree; most of us knew we were getting a Porsche ereader and a VW Beetle tablet.

As too the update, there is disappointment because the update is lacking or actually broke a few things.  Here are a few of the known issues.  Again there will be a fix from B&N, hopefully soon.

-video resolution and voice/video sync issues.
-Slowness in the library loading
-possible slower browser responsiveness.

The great thing about the Nookcolor is that it can be a variety of things.  First it’s the best ereader available provided you want color (many tech sources claim the NC is the best ereader PERIOD), I'm not declaring this almost the entire tech world has.  2nd the stock NC is a decent tablet with the apps now from B&N.  (However there are bugs that need to be tweaked or fixed, and will.)  3rd if someone wants to really open the NC up, the NC can be rooted to a variety of configurations and even overclocked delivering performance superior to any current Android tablet.
Most buyers of the Nookcolor know they are getting what I describe.

In the end, the Nookcolor is a HUGE BANG for BUCK device, with a lot of great potential.  Hopefully that potential is realized.

Frequent Contributor
Danuke
0 Kudos

Seeing as how I come from a purely Apple world, since the Apple II, I confess that I know nothing about Droid land. I appreciate your educating me in the quality control failures of Google regarding apps. This in turn enables me to understand what i considered to be a limited offering by B&N and why they are taking their time. However, i would rather that they also took even more time and if possible offered better apps; for instance there are far better Sudoku apps that offer more options and colors, while Escape From Rosecliff Island is a vastly superior "find the objects/solve puzzles" game compared to Grisly Manor. How closely does the Droid app offering match the iPhone/iPad listings? I know that Angry Birds (all offerings) and Grisly Manor are available on Apple. Honestly, when I bought this nook color last thursday, I knew nothing about the update, apps, email etc. I had lent out my old nook and was upgrading. I also had hopes that i would be able to read color graphic novels say Ender's Game and comic books, which i have loved since the '50s. No joy there yet; perhaps the Comics or Marvel app will be out soon seeing as how B&N's offerings are so poor? ~DN
For naught doth kill a man so soon as death!
DrAstro
0 Kudos

If you were so inclined, you could put an alternative OS on an SD card to read your comics.  This is one of the main reasons I got a NC and my comics look FANTASTIC on the NC screen.  I look forward to going to bed to read now!

Frequent Contributor
ridgrnr
0 Kudos

mariel9898 wrote:

As of the landscape issue, I think that has to do more with ePubs than with B&N. Does anyone know of an ePub reader that allows landscape mode?

Alkido for sure and I believe Moon Reader does also.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm usually amused by the fact that I frequently lurk these boards as well as the facebook fanpage.

The difference is night and day.

Then again, that is a fanpage and this is tech support, so maybe the difference is to be expected  :smileyvery-happy:

Wordsmith
dparrothead1

Aldiko, Kindle and the funny thing is that the Nook app for android will let you read in  landscape.

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

For some it is an issue of unrealistic expectations.  For some it is an issue of bugs and other problems that didn't used to be there.  For others it is an issue of B&N not addressing the much-needed fixes to the reading functionality.

There's something for everyone.  :smileywink:

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My 2 Cents:  Nook Color is still, IMO, the best $250 you can spend. It is def not competing with full blown tablets(least not til the price wars start) Even then it should stay in the top 3

I AM disappointed in the fact that the update downgraded video quality.

The lack of a good File management APP and a better browser is kinda disappointing too

Hope B&N will do something bout that...soon.

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Correspondent
zenaxe
0 Kudos

mariel9898 wrote:

The nook (for Android) app does. I <heart> irony.