Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: Unrealistic Expectations

Lanscape (and good night mode, too):

Aldiko

FB Reader

CoolReader

Nook App for Android.

In short, everything but the onboard reading app on an electronic reader sold by BN for a device that will put mechanical strain on its charger if it is charded while upright, yet must be held upright to read books. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Correspondent
TNTLamb
0 Kudos

Well I bought an eReader......  I onl say that because at the time I didn't KNOW I wanted a tablet. I bought my wife a droidX at the same time. I was jealous. Now other than the navigator thing for what we do, and know with flash, Guess whos jealous now. The problem I may end up having to buy a full blown tablet so I can have key board for writing.................

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
New User
Jenwilly
0 Kudos

As silly as this sounds, the main reason I got the NOOK Color was so I could load all my D&D and White Wolf PDF's (books AND character sheets) onto it.  My Kindle 3G is awesome, but in B&W, PDF's with graphics look like crap and are almost unreadable :/

Inspired Contributor
zozoroshi
0 Kudos

My first ereader was a sony, and I still say it is one of the best ereaders out there in terms of really understanding how a person reads and what they want.  A lot of people talk about how the nook is a great ereader, but it still lacks the very basics. But I don't think it would be that hard to make it great.

The sony ereader:

1) lets you decide how you want to turn the page. You can can choose to swipe from left to right, or right to left.  Or you can use buttons on the bottom of the reader to turn pages.  That might seems like a silly thing to want, but there are times when it really is more convienent to turn the page swiping your thumb to the right,  or to push a button.

2) It has two dedicated dictionaries that give word definitions, but also let you look up words. It's not an app, it's just there in the ereader for free.  Also, there are four or five "english to other language dictionaries.  And this is free. Two dictionaries built in for free. ahem.

3) Library and sideloaded books show with their covers PLUS it lets you know how much time you have to read them before they expire.

4) You can delete books off the sony ereader after you finish reading them. 

5) And then of course you can take notes, highlight text, bookmark  pages etc...

6) AND it even comes with its own stylus.

Those are such simple things, but I think that if Sony can do it, then Barnes and Noble surely could have such things on the nook. It's the difference between a good ereader and a great ereader.  Imagine all that plus the dazzle of apps, and wireless connection etc...wow.

Inspired Contributor
Whyy42
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

aldiko does landscape.  The only problem I have with it is that turning from one to the other reformats the text this means that it resets to the beginning of the chapter with each turn.

My problem with the Sony reader is the lack of folders.

It puts each book in one big list. Yes you can tag and list and other things to help organize it but even if the books are in folders on the SD or MMD card they would all sort to one list.

You can delete the book from the NookColor also. Called Archive. As for sideloaded content, well you put them on with a PC or MAC take them off. :smileytongue:

I went with the Astek reader as it does 23 different formats. I bought the Nook Color to read my color manga that for some odd reason don't read well in 16 shades of grey.:smileywink:

Daughter has the iPad, ITouch and the iPhone. I went non-apple :smileyhappy:

For the cost of her iPad I got the Sony, the Nook Color, my LG Optimus and a year of service on the phone.

B&N Bookseller
Brad_W
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The landscape mode for reading regular books is interesting, but I personally do not see the advantage.  It usually comes down to the experience of a normal book, but actually has major disadvantages if one has ever done this on another device.  Remember that once you turn the Nook Color, you have about half of the screen height.  At which point far less of the text can fit on the screen.  If you increase font size up you end up with barely any words on the screen.  Then it just becomes annoying.  Likewsie, actually holding the Nook Color in landscape mode for long periods of reading is not very comfortable in my opinion.  In portrait mode, you can easily and comfortably hold it in one hand.  I do really like the new page scroll feature when going from page to page which is far more seamless compared to a screen refresh when turning pages and reading.  

With purpose and on purpose
Contributor
junefaramore
0 Kudos

That's not silly about the D&D stuff, in fact, thanks for another weapon towards convincing my brother he needs to get a nookcolor. The fact that I'm switching to ebooks won't matter till he makes it through my library, but I have messed with all the roleplay stuff, it is a pain with all the shuffling of paperwork and books. I bought mine for a variety of reasons, largely to do with the promise of eventual on the go editing of word docs without having to pull out my netbook-it's quick but a dinosaur compared to this thing. I am thus happy now after sieloading the update, even though it(or their weird problems with the magazine server on reset night) broke my reader for mags and I had to factory reset and redo all my content and had to rebuy an app that loaded as a book cause it came on the device at 1.0.1 factory. Quickoffice is all I wanted, Angry Birds is oddly addictive, and I figured out how to get sideloaded pdfs from Baen to show with their covers(renamed it). I also bought because the potential to root was there. Figured it worked as an insurance policy if I needed more or something promised wasn't good enough for me. Haven't done so yet, and probably won't. I understand wanting everything, but I love the proprietary interface(as much as I thought I wouldn't), and I feel overloaded with info most days anyway, so like the limits. Pulse will import reader feeds and QO will do the same for Google Docs, so there goes my need for google apps. But everyone's mileage varys and yeah, the complainers are gonna be the most vocal. Thanks to the inforative posters on this board I got through my factory reset rather painlessly. If anyone else needs to do so, I suggest strongly you archive your apps before reset. Things may change, but for now, I'm firmly in the best 250(300) I've spent in a long time camp.
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Brad (and anyone else interested in landscape mode)

Take a look at FB Reader.  It's landscape mode is fast to ajust from portrait.  I haven't yet seen it reformat at the beginning of a chapter as you flip it. 

The pages are - unlike the BN nook app pages - one wide page in landscape, one tall page in portrait.  You lose very little text on the page when you rotate.  Im pretty sure that's true of Aldiko, Cool Reader, etc. as well. 

On holding device:  One, you're coming at this from the perspective of someone who CAN hold the device unaided.  My mom has advanced arthritis.  She has to use a stand to hold her tablet up. The case can do this - it can be a freestanding easel. 

For her - arthritis and mobility issues - being able to charge and read at the same time is very helpful.  You can't safely charge this device while propping it in portrait mode, the USB connection would be too strained. 

Finally, most or all of the "book style" covers sold only support being used as a freestanding easel in landscape mode.  Including almost all the ones BN sells.

I'm not 100% what the BN target demographic for the device is, but in general the folks who use ereaders who I know are older than the "early adopters" who are out there buying the devices to root.  There have been posts here from folks in analogous situations to my mom's.  (Mom is stoked with the easel I located for her on Amazon for her tablet, which is a 10" and lower resolution than the Nook - another thing people tend to forget is that super-high DPI screens get harder and harder to use, not better and better, once you have enough years in the rearview....)

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.