Contributor
SwartzJA
0 Kudos

Unrooting the Nook Color and the Rerooting

A few questions for the more savvy android crowd here:

I rooted my Nook Color and installed Cyanogenmod 7. It was not really that hard, but unfortunately, I had wanted to install for the dual boot option when instead I installed it to run from EMMC, overwriting the Nook Color boot. I have been playing with it for a week or so, installed apps from the Google app store, etc. My main reason for rooting was so I could run Kindle on the Nook Color and that works generally ok. But I have noticed that the Nook Color app does not run as well as when I was booting into the Nook system and I have lost my subscription to Vanity Fair (incompatible file formats).

So I was wondering if it is possible to unroot, get the Nook Color 1.2 system back onto EMMC, and then re-install Cyanogenmod7 onto the microSD card (I have a 32 gb class 4 Sandisk) without losing what I have done already. I am not quite sure what is running on EMMC and what is on the Sandisk card, so I imagine that will be the trickiest part in making sure  that I get what I have already installed up and running again.

Any pointers, advice that can be offered for what I see as a 4-step process (especially appreciate any Youtube links). I think there are links to unrooting, but not sure about links to how to preserve a system and then re-install it as a dual boot option:

1) Backup image of current system to Mac so it can be reinstalled

2) Unroot Nook Color and re-install 1.2 on the EMMC

3) Create dual-boot Cyanogenmed to run from SD card.

4) Reinstall apps, wallpaper, settings, etc. that have been created in current system

Thanks in advance,

james

Inspired Correspondent
UndeadPoet
0 Kudos

Re: Unrooting the Nook Color and the Rerooting

I don't know the particulars to all of your questions, but I believe you will want to download Titanium Backup before you unroot, back up your stuff (to SD card or Dropbox), and then you will probably be able to restore your apps.

I am sure one of our helpful Devs will jump in here and guide you...

(Undead)Poet / Wizard / Teller-of-tales
Contributor
SwartzJA
0 Kudos

Thanks for that tip Poet... I will look into Titanium Backup.

Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

Can you actually accidentally root to the emmc?  It sounds like you had the SD card in the whole time?  Have you taken the card out and looked at your NC to see if it is actually rooted?  I've only got the side loaded cm7 so don't know if I'm off base here or not.  I didn't think it was possible to internally root to the emmc without going through CWR and a lot of other steps.  I realize that CWR is on the side loaded cm7 but.....

Contributor
SwartzJA
0 Kudos

It wasn't by accident. I got part way through the instructions and realized that the way I was going would install CM7 on emmc. I just decided what the hell and went with it.

I recall downloading CWR as part of the process but I am not sure i actually used it at any point during the install.

It was pretty simple to do this actually - the longest part was waiting for the image file of CM7 to get written over....

Inspired Correspondent
nickels
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

When I crashed the nook making it dual boot CM7 and stock, I had to get it back to stock. You can DL the stock OS, you put it on an SD card with Clockworkeecovery and the original OS zip, then with a few steps you can flash the internal memory back to stock OS.

So, when it comes back you are at 1.0, then you can update the system back to 1.2. Then reformat the SD card and put CM7 on it.

I can post all the files somewhere if you have trouble locating them and the directions via google.

Here are the steps I followed:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=931720

Contributor
SwartzJA
0 Kudos

Thanks Nickels. That is very helpful...  One more question, did you save whatever you had installed while you had the first dual boot working?  That is, had you downloaded apps and books that you would want to restore once you got it back working again?

Contributor
n879
0 Kudos

I've got to ask...if you looked into rooting so that you could use the kindle app, why did you choose to install CM7?  Now, I love...I mean love CM7 on my phone...hell, I'll flash and reflash nightlies on a ridiculous basis, but I kinda like my nook to be what it is, just with a few perks. For me, having stock 1.2, and then rooting with manual nooter (4.5.25 at the moment) gives me the best of both worlds. I don't have the time to go all android tablet, but it's not far of. 

Anyway, to help with your questions, it sounds like you need to get your emmc back to it's original os/image, which is done by interupting the nooks boot process (turn it on and off before it can fully boot) untill it reinstalls it's self. This should do the trick, but you may want to make sure to unregister then too. You then install 1.2, whether through B&N's directions, or by adding it to the sd card with clockwork, and flash this. This should put you at stock 1.2. Then, follow the instructions for nootering at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1054027, and bam, you can bounce between stock nook and whatever launcher of your choice to run your android apps...like kindle.   

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

There is a one step restore to 1.2 stock which you can use also.  It's a flashable CWR image;  if you have a bootable CWR disk, format /system and /data and reflash and you're good to go.  You can then root that OS if you have the manual nooter on your CWR card, and come back up rooted. 

If you have a Titanium backup of your system files, you do NOT need to reregister or erase and deregister first -- skip OOBE at first boot, reboot into CWR and install the Ham and Cheerse apk enabler, then sideload the Titanium APK and you can restore your settings.

Reboot, and your subscriptions will sync right up and all your wifi data are restored.  For me, a big timesaver. 

The 1.2 clean install process is outlined at nookworks,

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/clean-12-install.html

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.