Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Re: Update 1.4: Where is it?e

Wild Images, you don't get off that easily.  You said I'm "kinda weird" because I don't criticize the Nook Color enough.  I cited 2 instances when I criticized it in the past week, but apparently only twice in a week still qualifies me as a "fanboy."  So now it's incumbent upon YOU to define how much criticism one must direct at a device to not be "kinda weird."

Distinguished Correspondent
Wild_images
0 Kudos

"You said I'm "kinda weird" because I don't criticize the Nook Color enough."

Really?   Could you point out where I said that?    I said, you were weird.  Not KINDA - just weird.  Don't sugar coat it.   

As for the other nonsense you bring to the table, it is, for the most part, nonsense.   I try to ignore most of it, but it's like a wreck on the highway.  You just have to look, but in the end, it's always the same, just another wreck where you pity the poor souls involved.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

Really?  I think those who have been here a while will say that I've posted far more items to help people better use their Nooks than you have.  In fact, I don't remember you EVER posting anything to help someoe use their Nook.

Wild_images

That's because most of the time, you are too busy talking or patting yourself on the back for your witty repartee or dissing of any other device that might compete with your beloved NC.  

Richy, here's a clue.  I think the NC is a great little device.  Not perfect, but pretty darn nice.   However, I wont turn it into an idol that I have to worship seven times a day while bowing towards Wall Street to pay homage to the B&N exec's who brought it to the market place.

And finally, in case you missed it, this is a discussion forum, not a help desk.   Though it is nice that people here help each other, and for that, I will bestow upon you a coveted Laurel.  

But you're still weird.   

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

Wild, the fact that you cannot talk without insulting or using what I presume you think is a derogatory form of my name shows a certain lack of maturity that I probably should not continue trying to reason with.

To you "weird" means someone who doesn't insult. 

Wild_images
0 Kudos

Yeah, I do like to have fun.   If that makes me immature, then so be it.   I just don't take things so seriously.  

I apologize for calling you "Richy",  Richard.    It's just that I find you trite, boorish, and, well...... weird when it comes to this love affair you have with a piece of plastic, glass and metal.   

It's just not, I say it's just not, just not natural son..........LOL

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

Re: Update 1.4: back on original topic

[ Edited ]

Getting back on topic (NCDBP Badge #123093004)... when I went into B&N last night to try to wreck one of the new tablets...in chatting with another nc user, his wife and two of the Nook experts, the update came up in conversation. Nook expert number one mentioned the December timeline, but the second Nook expert (who was helping me to unwreck the tablet) mentioned a new communique that mentioned it could be late November. Now...November 2011 or November 2012, he did not specify...but he said that he was looking forward to running Netflix in the NEAR future on his personal Nookcolor. Just doing my bit to fan the flames of gossip and rumor!

Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

[ Edited ]

Whatever, Wild. You have zero credibility now.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

Wild_images wrote:

>  No. I did not revisit that thread. <

Probably a wise decision, since it allows you to maintain your misperceptions, unclouded by reality.

> It isn't worth the aggravation to argue with these people over an e reader LOL <

That's hilarious, considering I was agreeing with you!  :smileyvery-happy:  :smileyvery-happy:  But I have no trouble believing you could have an argument with yourself.  :smileywink:

- Mark

Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

Can get in on this?

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

scosgt asked:

> Can get in on this? <

Sure.  Give me a minute to dig up a link... OK.  Here is where I 'started trouble' by agreeing with Wild_images:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Tablet-General-Discussion/Where-are-those-quot-Thousands...  

It was all downhill from there.  After spending considerable verbiage pissing into the wind and knocking down straw-men he had set up, he never returned to assess the damage.  

Which is good because it enables him to continue his rant elsewhere against imaginary 'board police', puffery, and 'cyber slaps', unhindered in any way by the facts.

- Mark 

Frequent Contributor
davidwb
0 Kudos

Thanks for some actual information, Normysmom -- even if it is based on guesses (perhaps informed) by B&N folks.  I'm heading over to my local B&N store tomorrow (not interested in fighting Black Friday crowds) and will ask about 1.4.  If I can get any useful intelligence, I'll report back here.

Wild_images
0 Kudos

Wow, my own personal stalker.   

Sorry Mark, if you were agreeing with me, you sure have an obnoxious way of showing it.

Maybe after your little slam  you came back and said something different, but I just didn't bother to go back and look.   Again, it just isn't worth it.   I do wish you would quit stalking me on this board though. 

Contributor
ddlbugmom

Re: Update 1.4: Where is it?

Cripes. Get a room, boys.

Anyone have any more "intelligence" on a release date for 1.4?

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

Yesterday, a B&N saleswoman in Davenport, IA store mentioned the update late December - early January.

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG
0 Kudos

On Friday, I was told that the release was scheduled for the 26th.   Since it was not released yesterday he must have meant December 26th.....

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,257
0 Kudos

MusicmanGG wrote:

On Friday, I was told that the release was scheduled for the 26th.   Since it was not released yesterday he must have meant December 26th.....

Especially since Nov 26 was a Saturday (companies normally do not do releases over a weekend, especially a holiday weekend), and Dec 26 is a Monday (companies usually do releases on a Monday or Tuesday).  Of course, during the Christmas season, all bets are off.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Except Dec 26 is a holiday for most companies also since Christmas is on Sunday so you can't go by that either.  Of course I don't know for sure that it is a holdiday for BN.

I would suspect that like everything else Nook related, store personnel don't know much more than anyone else.  Also, it might have been schedule for Nov 26 until they found out about the browser "hole" on the NT and now they are delayed while they "fix" that issue.

HumbleCorrespondent
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

Except Dec 26 is a holiday for most companies also since Christmas is on Sunday so you can't go by that either.  Of course I don't know for sure that it is a holdiday for BN.

I would suspect that like everything else Nook related, store personnel don't know much more than anyone else.  Also, it might have been schedule for Nov 26 until they found out about the browser "hole" on the NT and now they are delayed while they "fix" that issue.

Another scenario is that store personal are pulling dates out of thin air like with the 1.2 update. They may still be targeting early December like the press release said, or not.
That's just my opinion, you can take it for what it's worth, or just leave it alone.
Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

HC wrote:

> Another scenario is that store personal are pulling dates out of thin air like with the 1.2 update. <

Yeah, I like the hypothesis of them pulling them "out of thin air", better than the alternative source they could be pulling them from.  :smileyvery-happy:

- Mark