Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
ask76
0 Kudos

Update 1.4: Where is it?

Why wasn't update 1.4 released on the same day as the Nook Tablet? BN, please do not forget about your existing customers.

Inspired Wordsmith
TigerShawk
0 Kudos

Re: Update 1.4: Where is it?

They announced it was coming in Dec.

Distinguished Correspondent
Wild_images
0 Kudos

Yeah right.  Been down this road with B&N before. 

It'll get here when it get's here.   The last thing B&N has ever been concerned with is Customer Service or Support for the NC, and now that the NC is yesterdays news, I wouldn't bet on them being the least bit concerned if it doesn't come when they say it will. 

Also, if the glitch with the Tablet that allows you to down load 3rd party apps is a software problem, if indeed it is a problem and not a feature, my bet is that we will never see a 1.4 update.   They will fix the problem and the update will be 1.4.1 or something like that, and that could take some time.   

Just a guess on my part, but upgrades for the NC have been woefully dismal at best.   I would not get my hopes up that the next update would break that trend.  

Frequent Contributor
Nookie_Nookerson

I remember B&N updates running to the very last minute of the expected date but I don't remember them not comming out when THEY said. This is excluding times that others speculated of course. I find it promising that they are giving a specific month.
So I got that goin for me........which is nice.
Wild_images
0 Kudos

"but I don't remember them not coming out when THEY said."

Oh please.   Just do a search on 1.2 update.    It was due out in January, then Feb, then 1st quarter, then.....it showed up around April?   

I waited and waited for the 1.2, finally gave up and bought a Tab.  Nice, but....

Now that the new Tablet is out, I am looking at that.  You just cannot beat the screen on the NC and from what I hear, the Tablet is better yet.   But I have high hopes for the 1.4 update, as I would like to use the NC again, but honestly, B&N doesn't have a good track record with updates.

I'm holding off buying a Nook Tablet to see what the 1.4 will do for my "old" NC, and compare them side by side at my local B&N store.  

Bottom line is, no one knows when the 1.4 update will be out, least of all B&N

Frequent Contributor
Nookie_Nookerson

Re: Update 1.4: Where is it?e

Oh trust me I remember the update. But as I recall B&N's only official date was the 1st quarter. Which I think they met that deadline (albeit by the skin of their teeth). The Jan or Feb deadlines were speculation or "some random store salesperson told me" etc.. not official B&N dates. Here's hoping the 1.4 breathes new life into your nook. I have been happy with mine but my needs were never super specific so I have been easy to please. I also am excited by the NT but my budget and I suppose the landfill would be best served if I stuck to updating every other model at most.
Wild_images
0 Kudos

The 1.2 update was released April 25th, almost a full month after what the majority of the world would consider the 1st quarter, though there was some debate that B&N was on a different schedule?

The only thing I've known to as late as a NC update was a girl I knew in college...................but that's another story.

(keeping an eye out for the "Puffery Police" now.......<00> 

Correspondent
Perry_Mason
0 Kudos

There is no reason to put off or delay the 1.4 update.  It exists and is released on the Tablet.  There should be no reason not to release it in the stated time frame for the NC.

Frequent Contributor
Nookie_Nookerson
0 Kudos

In retrospect I may have to concede that you may be correct about the 1st quarter. I however am still optamistic about the december date because they are usually more vauge about dates until it is close.
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Perry_Mason wrote:

There is no reason to put off or delay the 1.4 update.  It exists and is released on the Tablet.  There should be no reason not to release it in the stated time frame for the NC.

I think you are assuming 1.4 for NC is identical to 1.4 for NT.  I would guess it is not.  NC runs on Android 2.2, the NT runs on 2.3.  The devices have different hardware and likely the 1.4 versions will have similar but different capabilities based on the ability of the devices.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

[ Edited ]

>>Yeah right. Been down this road with B&N before. It'll get here when it get's here. The last thing B&N has ever been concerned with is Customer Service or Support for the NC, and now that the NC is yesterdays news, I wouldn't bet on them being the least bit concerned if it doesn't come when they say it will. Also, if the glitch with the Tablet that allows you to down load 3rd party apps is a software problem, if indeed it is a problem and not a feature, my bet is that we will never see a 1.4 update. They will fix the problem and the update will be 1.4.1 or something like that, and that could take some time. Just a guess on my part, but upgrades for the NC have been woefully dismal at best. I would not get my hopes up that the next update would break that trend. <<

They don't call you "Sunshine" for nothing.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

>>I think you are assuming 1.4 for NC is identical to 1.4 for NT. I would guess it is not. NC runs on Android 2.2, the NT runs on 2.3. The devices have different hardware and likely the 1.4 versions will have similar but different capabilities based on the ability of the devices.<<

As I recall, 1.1 ran on Eclair and with 1.2 came an updated Android.......FROYO.  Why would we not expect to see an updated Android with 1.4?

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240
0 Kudos

What was that word?

[ Edited ]

richardwrite25 wrote: ...  expect ...

I'm sorry, but you cannot use that word on this forum, when referring to anything having to do with B&N.

I will have to report you for sure ...

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Sardonic

My thinking is BN is focused on supporting the NT (and 1.4) right now and releasing 1.4 for the NC too might be a little overwhelming for Customer Support...better to wait a couple of weeks (or more) to be sure CS can handle the volume and issues/questions.
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Sardonic wrote:
My thinking is BN is focused on supporting the NT (and 1.4) right now and releasing 1.4 for the NC too might be a little overwhelming for Customer Support...better to wait a couple of weeks (or more) to be sure CS can handle the volume and issues/questions.
Exactly, not to mention data resources. As far as I know BN does not use any third party download sites.
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

richardwrite25 wrote:

>>I think you are assuming 1.4 for NC is identical to 1.4 for NT. I would guess it is not. NC runs on Android 2.2, the NT runs on 2.3. The devices have different hardware and likely the 1.4 versions will have similar but different capabilities based on the ability of the devices.<<

As I recall, 1.1 ran on Eclair and with 1.2 came an updated Android.......FROYO.  Why would we not expect to see an updated Android with 1.4?

It may come with Gingerbread but I wouldn't expect it. I thought (but could be wrong) the NC originally came with Eclair  (firmware 1.0) which means 1.2 is the only update that changed the Android version.  I would suspect that BN will keep the firmware different to help differentiate the NC from the NT. 

But let's say it is a Gingerbread fork for the NC, they still need time to finish testing it as I am sure they worked on the NT first.  However, I am sure they will meet their deadline since it is possible that not putting out the 1.4 for NC could be holding back sales on both the NT and NC.  It is kind of hard for folks to make an informed decision between the 2 devices when one doesn't know what the differences are going to be.

Wild_images

They don't call you "Sunshine" for nothing.

Exactly what I would expect from the fanboy who posted two pages of why people hate the Fire, in the NC forum.  Everyone knows you have this "thing" with your NC.  It's sort of - well, weird.  Really.   Anyway, some times the truth hurts.   Take a couple aspirin and annoy someone else in the morning OK Richy?

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Wild_images wrote:

(keeping an eye out for the "Puffery Police" now.......<00> 

Did you not revisit that thread?  The word "puffery" as re-explained by Mark was actually aimed at B&N and not you.  It appears you should join "Richy" in taking some aspirin...

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

>>Everyone knows you have this "thing" with your NC. It's sort of - well, weird. Really.<<

I know, I know.....all the "NORMAL" people praise only the iPad and the Fire. That's perfectly ok. Only weirdos like me praise the competition. But hey, it's my lot in life.

Oh, I'm guessing you didn't see my posts in the past week, criticizing the NC's browser and the fact that it won't let me open Taptu, whereas on the Android side, Taptu works fine.

There....does that make me part of the Cool Club now? 

Wild_images
0 Kudos

No.  I did not revisit that thread.   I figured once Mark came along, Deemure would be close behind with Richy in tow.

It isn't worth the aggravation to argue with these people over an e reader LOL

They have been assimilated.............