Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47

Using The Vertical Swipe/Scroll Function

On the Library screen, is there any way to adjust the speed of the scrolling up/down? I've tried moderating the gesture using a fingertip, but the screen still moves faster than I'd like. I wish the Nook Color had a small vertical space on the RH side of the screen to allow for scrolling. The way the screen is set up It's hard to do without accidentally calling up a book I don't want to see/read.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Re: Using The Vertical Swipe/Scroll Function

[ Edited ]

I don't think there's any way to adjust the scrolling speed or the screen sensitivity on the NC.

It's interesting to me how different people's experiences are.  I see a lot of people here who feel that the NC touchscreen is too sensitive.

I've only had my NC since Thursday night (the 30th), and I find the NC screen to be not sensitive enough.  I noticed I have to put more pressure on it for it to react than I do on my Droid X.  And my Droid X has a screen protector on it while my NC currently does not.  I also feel that it doesn't flick scroll nearly as well and just isn't as accurate.  The screen itself doesn't feel as smooth as what I am used to, either; my finger feels like it drags a bit on the screen instead of running over it as easily.  When tapping to make selections, I have to touch my selection for about half a second before the screen reacts.

The keyboard is definitely not as responsive, which is the reason so many people have issues with double presses of keys.  I can't type fast enough or accurately enough on it because there is no multi-touch keyboard.

I also have trouble with the NC screen reading touches along the right edge at times, which is most apparent when using the keyboard.  It seems to be less sensitive along that edge, which I think is probably a hardware issue with how the screen was installed.

Some of these issues are the result of me being used to using a device with a touch screen that is so much more responsive.  I know I just have to get used to the differences in these cases.  But the keyboard and the issue with the right side of the screen are something else.  I find it ridiculous that there is no multi-touch keyboard available for a device of this caliber.

Ugh, sorry for the rant on your thread.  I didn't realize these things have been annoying me as much as they so obviously are. 

Contributor
cjmacs
0 Kudos

I sometimes have the same problem, opening up items when all I want to do is scroll. I'm trying different touches on the screen, seems like I need to be gentler.

Inspired Correspondent
pen_name19
0 Kudos

• I guess you tried swiping, but doing it more slowly.
  • Maybe try scrolling instead of swiping?
  • Swiping is dragging and releasing while still moving.
  • To scroll, touch the screen and drag, but don't release until you stop moving your finger.
    • Tho this will only let you scroll one screen full at a time....

-- bye

Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

On the Library page I found an option in the upper RH corner of the screen that helps with this problem. It has several options for displaying how your books appear onscreen, and a couple of these leave sufficient space on the right side for a fingertip scroll up or down.

Sorry I didn't see/try that before I posted, but I do appreciate your replies!