Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
pjafla

V1.1 Autonooted 3

Is there any reason at this time to change from O/S 1.1 and Autonooted 3? 

I could care less about Flash capabilities. The 50 or so apps I have installed, mainly in the areas of travel, news/current events and (lest one forget) Angry Birds work just fine. 

On the philosophy of "if it ain't fixed don't break it" - is there any reason at this time for me to do anything with v1.2 and manual rooting?

Thanks for any feedback and suggestions.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
0 Kudos

Re: V1.1 Autonooted 3

If you like the Google Calendar, Contacts, and eMail programs that are part of the 1.1. autonooter package, you will be very disappointed by their replacements in 1.2.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik
0 Kudos

I admit that I'm tempted to unroot and do the 1.2 upgrade . . . . and then do the manual Nooter thing . . . but I don't know . . . I think the OP's point is VERY rational.

Nook Color Wallpapers
Frequent Contributor
Origamist
0 Kudos

I am so glad you asked this since I am in the same boat.  For now holding off until things are more up to par since my nook does everything I need it to right now... But really interested to hear other opinions!

Contributor
audioscience
0 Kudos

I'm in the same boat here.  I'm quite happy with my 1.1 autonootered Nook Color.

About the only thing I'd like to add is Netflix functionality which requires Android 2.2+.  I might just add a CM7 uSD card that will allow me to run Netflix but I'm not sure how performance will be.

I've been waiting for the Manual Nooter/AutoNooter process to be streamlined with minimal issues.  It's just about there right now but I'm not sure if I want to dump 1.1 rooted.  I like running the stock launcher and book reader and don't really want to swtich to Zeam to access all of my other apps.

Frequent Contributor
cristiansmom
0 Kudos

Is there a way to run netflix when running CM7 from SD?? I tried it (from the huskermania video on youtube) and it wouldn't work.. I tried asking for help on the facebook page "customizing your nook color) where I found out about it but have not heard anything.. If you get it to work please let me know..

Debi

Frequent Contributor
pjafla
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

If you like the Google Calendar, Contacts, and eMail programs that are part of the 1.1. autonooter package, you will be very disappointed by their replacements in 1.2.

Are you saying that the calendar, contacts and email in1.2 are worse than 1.1? 

They are not so hot in 1.1, either. But for my own needs, they are not all that important. I use gmail to read from my pop3 mailboxes so that the pop3 mail can follow me on my droid phone and on the NC. But I seldom initiate an email from the NC.

Another respondent mentioned wanting the newer NC software for use with Netflix. Again, for my needs, viewing videos on the NC or a phone, for that matter, is not all that appealing, especially when my local library has about 30,000 DVD's available for no-charge borrowing.

I don't watch DVDs or TV on my desktop machine (but do admit to running a YouTube cat video now and then to entertain the cat when she decides to be my assistant.)

I am inclined to stick with what I have and to see what develops. I do use Titanium to backup all apps and data and other stuff to Dropbox and hope that I do not have to find out how well it can restore from scratch in the future.

Frequent Contributor
whimspun
0 Kudos

I took the leap, also wary bc I was extremely happy with AN 3.0 on NC 1.1.  Yet curiosity and an interest in understanding the tablet and root process better.  With help from boards, and good links to XDA, I do have what appears to be the same NC, just much faster.  There are some kinks I have not worked out, but I think they are no different than kink before I went to manual nooter. At first I didn't follow through with the steps to access the whole android market, and I was disappointed.  I didn't care for the Zeam launcher, and I couldn't find my apps I had prior evenin market.  I didn't know how my backup of the 1.1 sd card would work on manual nooter, so I didn't want to screw it up that way.  But the "fix" to access entire google/android market, amazon market etc. was simple as two steps, one of which was rebooting.

So far no regrets, and I have a SD card flashed with the clockworkmodrecovery, which will be helpful in future whichever way I want to take my nook.  I couldn't add evernote as app before, and now I have. I also found some nice links to narrow which apps (free) were worthwhile.  Though the link is a UK tech journal I found some great apps.  

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/top-150-best-android-apps-2011-...  

I have a battery issue, which I really am unsure if I had before- cannot turn off 3G- but I just posted for help on that.  Good luck and feel free to ask anything else.  whimspun

"Real generosity towards the future lies in giving all to the present." Albert Camus