Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

Re: VIDEO + UPDATE 1.2 = FAIL !

[ Edited ]

No problems with Handbrake here. Smooth as silk running 1.2. :smileyhappy:

Reader
JayMar8
0 Kudos

Also want to note that since the update the movies restart to beginning on mine.  This is pretty frustrating with my 4 year old complaining how it didn't pick back up where she left off.  Do others have this as well?

Inspired Contributor
Savoir_Faire
0 Kudos

I've yet to see any indication that the video issue is going to be addressed ( or any of the other issues reported as well ). A B&N response would be welcome.
"Savoir Faire is everywhere."
Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

Savoir_Faire wrote:
I've yet to see any indication that the video issue is going to be addressed ( or any of the other issues reported as well ). A B&N response would be welcome.

I received an e-mail from Nook_Engineer saying that this would be addressed in a futrue patch.

But honestly there are two reasons why I'm currently running Cyanogenmod 7 on my Nook Color.

1) Under the stock reader app, books crash if they have extensive highlighting.

2) The degraded video issue introduced with the 1.2 update

I'd consider reverting to stock if those two issues were addressed, but until tha time. theer's not much point, IMHO.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

I did bring the video issue to B&N's attention, and last I heard (2 weeks ago) was that they were working on it with their chipset vendors.

Inspired Contributor
Savoir_Faire
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I sincerely appreciate the efforts of all ( dvdcatalyst, Serolf_Divad, and any others ) who have managed to get an "engineers ear" but it would still be nice to see the issue acknowledged here by someone at B&N. I don't expect a commitment to a date for a fix or a guarantee that it can be fixed at all but a lot of posts across the boards could be eliminated by someone stepping up and saying "we are aware of the issues some are experiencing and are making an effort to address them". I imagine many posters besides myself would like to know that we are being heard. It may be viewed as being too demanding and unreasonable by some ( if so then hopefully they will at least be polite when they tell me so ;-) ) but as I've previously stated I'm not "up in arms" or kicking and screaming. I have already put some considerable time into converting a video library of mp4s for the NC that played flawlessly before the update and am hoping that time wasn't wasted. Thank you again to all who are working towards a resolution.

"Savoir Faire is everywhere."
New User
tomnookling
0 Kudos

I'd like to add my personal testing results - hopefully they'll be of some use to the BN engineers, too.  I did a clean wipe via 8 failed boots to 1.0.1.  Then I upgraded directly to 1.2. I rooted with manualnooter 4.5.25 and used rockplayer to test my files since it offers both software and hardware decoding.

videos with specs of: h.264 codec, 3000kbps video, 48khz, 160kbps audio, up to a resolution of approx 854x480 plays with these results: smooth framerate, perfect audio/video sync, but plays back with a degraded video quality  (lower-res, grainy)

any video with a higher resolution will not be recognized in hardware decoding mode, just like 1.1 - which I'm fine with.

videos with the same specs as above can also play in software mode, but have the opposite effect: laggy playback, naturally off-sync playback with audio, but the resolution is spot-on and sharp just like 1.1.  The most unusual thing that I found is that software decoding mode allows playback of resolutions of 1024x600! (albeit with very low framerates)

Since software mode offers a sharp resolution, I tried testing videos at lower bitrates to try to solve the framerate problem.  I haven't tried h.264 at lower bitrates yet, but the .mp4 codec (not just .mp4 container!) seems to allow smoother playback at a relatively high bitrate. 

Hope this helps.

New User
tomnookling
0 Kudos

btw, I'm using Handbrake to convert my videos.  All the videos I've had for 1.1 played with the stock 1.2 player, but 1.2 seemed to force my existing videos to render in a lower quality.