Scribe
dvdcatalyst

Re: VIDEO + UPDATE 1.2 = FAIL !

Neeta-san wrote:

Could just be because I don't watch videos on my NC all that often, but I just converted the first episode of Bones to the specifications listed by MaluhiaKana and it seems to work perfectly fine (watched the first 20 minutes). Could be because I'm not "trained" to see the difference, or maybe since it's a tv dvd it's just easier to convert because it's not HD.

The only "video" (really Flash) issue I noticed it that web video seems to have a lag between the video and audio playback.

In any case, I'm sure we'll get some sort of "fix".

That is one possibility, or, it could be that the update affects different nooks in a different way. For some devices, like the HTC HD2, more than one factory is used to build them. While the same specifications are true for both, there are minor differences that can cause complications. Something like a different brand memory-chip, while the same speed and same capacity, could factor in. In the case of the HD2, there was an issue with audio-lag on ones that came out of one particular factory, while ones created elsewhere did not have any issues.

However, I am unaware of the NOOK being created in more than one factory, and the fact that for me it played video files perfectly before the update, makes me think it is part user perception.

Similar as when people walk into an office with tube lights, some see flicker and get headaches, some do not, or people that have a hard time noticing the difference between 1080 and 720 HD movies on a similar-sized TV. Its not a bad thing, many people don't notice slight variations, but for the people that do, it is quite appearant. For me, I have used the nook consistently for quite some time for movies on a daily basis (I estimate about 120 hours of movie watching), and I instantly noticed the difference after the update.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

@DvdCatalyst:

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for

1) providing a great product, and

2) trying to make the NC a better product as well.

This issue may not be extremely noticeable to some people, but I'm glad somebody notices an error and is taking steps to let BN know about and providing info on it

I only wag my finger at you for the harshness of your OP, but I would probably be upset too when the cool new gadget that worked so well with my product now had an issue  :smileytongue:

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Schwa wrote:

@DvdCatalyst:

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for

1) providing a great product, and

2) trying to make the NC a better product as well.

This issue may not be extremely noticeable to some people, but I'm glad somebody notices an error and is taking steps to let BN know about and providing info on it

I only wag my finger at you for the harshness of your OP, but I would probably be upset too when the cool new gadget that worked so well with my product now had an issue  :smileytongue:

Thank you Schwa,

I am sorry about the harshness of the OP. I should have been a bit more tactful on my wording, but my main intention was to warn people. Maybe part selfish on my part, because I had received a fair amount of emails regarding the issue, but I just wanted to make sure that the people who rely on their NC for video playback on a daily basis might end up getting something else than that they were expecting from the 1.2 update.

Anyway, unfortunately I haven't heard anything back from B&N yet on this, but I will contact them again tomorrow.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Thanks DVDCatalyst,  I was wondering last night how it was going on getting B&N to fix the video.  Last night I was watching some youtube videos, the very first one played in sync or I didn't detect out of sync voice and video, however the resoluction was still below pre 1.2, then I tried 2 or 3 more videos  and they were all out of sync voice/video.  I even rebooted and played several more and still out of sync.

What is annoying though petty, is my son's wife has a IPad 2, bought 3 weeks ago.  We did a comparison pre1.2 and though the NC had no apps (this NC not rooted) it really was very comparable to the IPad for video, browser speed, etc.  I said to my son wait till we get the update then we will do the comparison.  On Thur  son & his wife were here for my daughter's birthday, the one big thing I wanted to show off after the update was FLASH, without an app IPad2 can't load flash videos from Youtube and the app they had could only load/play certain videos.  I chose a 2006 video that was #2 or #3 video of the year, which played fine on the Nookcolor but even with their Youtube app they couldn't play it, we tested several other videos and again discovered not all videos play on IPad2, but they would all play on the Nookcolor.  The sad part though was the video quality and voice sync issues with the Nookcolor.

While the 1.2 update is a significant step for B&N to fully realize the Nookcolor potential, some of the glaring bugs related to the update really tarnish it, and make some think "one step forward two steps back".

Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

dvdcatalyst wrote:

Anyway, unfortunately I haven't heard anything back from B&N yet on this, but I will contact them again tomorrow.

Please keep us informed. Whether I upgrade to 1.2 or do a wholesale switch to something like CM7 will depend upon the resolution of this issue.

Contributor
TomMewborn
0 Kudos

I just got tired of fighting the limitations of the stock operating system and flashed the eMMC to Phiremods version of CM7.(Phiremod 6.2) The difference is unbelievable. It is much faster, both online and off. The touch screen is much better and smooth as silk. The B&N reader app works perfectly except for magazines which I did not do anyway. It takes a little experimenting to learn the new interface, but it is well worth it in my opinion. By the way, I am not a 20 something computer geek, I am a 66 year old man that can read and follow instructions. Some of the steps necessary to make the change are not intuitive and require a little research on line to figure them out. I am not recommending that anyone do this unless you feel very comfortable with the process, however it has made the Nook Color a real joy to me, both as a reader and as a fantastic toy.

Tom

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

I posted this in a thread on the Nook Color tech board, thought I'd re-post here

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had had my NC rooted using autonooter 3.0     I un-rooted it and went back to 1.1 (because of potential issues with an auto-update OTA when 1.2 came out).    I sideloaded 1.2 and "checked it out."    Video was horrible, I uploaded a HQ video to YouTube and also looked at some websites.  (all via the web browser)  Stunk.   I had a DVDCatalyst copy of the movie "Chicago" on my SD, when I tried to play it...it was jerky.  

So I reverted back to rooted 1.1.    Movie looked fine as did the video on YouTube (via the YouTube app in the rooted NC).  

I started following the threads on the video quality issue and noted that some people had better success after they had let their NC's sit for a while then did a power off/on sequence.

Humm...I hadn't tried that.

Oh well....what's a little time.   I took my NC back to full factory reset.   Back to OS 1.0 via the 8 failed restarts and the re-install of the OS.   I then did the Power-Home button reset also.   Ok, back at "brand new" 1.0 OS.    I did a sideload of 1.2 and after it was done, waited about a half hour.   It seemed to be working just fine.   I did the power off/on thing as some of the messages suggested.

Ok, now the the "fresh" 1.2 install (remember...on top of 1.0...no intermediate updates) and checked out the movie Chicago.   Played PERFECTLY.  Wow...ok via the web browser, where last time I was running 1.2....the HQ video I uploaded stunk.   It was PERFECT.   NOT the slightest pixelated or any other issues.

In other words....a completely clean install of 1.2 on top of my totally cleared and reset 1.0 OS worked far better than the sideload of 1.2 on top of 1.1.    

I can think of several reasons that the update ontop of 1.1 wasn't as good as the update ontop of 1.0 worked out to be.    Among other things, the update on top of 1.1 *may* try to preserve configurations that shouldn't be preserved.   Whereas laying 1.2 ontop of a "fresh" 1.0 install may have avoided saving configurations...that as of yet, didn't exist.

That is a pure GUESS.    And I can think of a lot of other things that could hav caused problems, but I'd suggest you try a full reset all the way back to "original" and then try to install 1.2 ontop of that...and see if your video works better or not.

I was very unsatisfied with the original 1.2 update (on top of 1.1) but the 2nd run (exact same sideload file) is far better and I'm satisfied with it.

Could have been a quirk, or not.   YMMV

---------
Don
Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats
0 Kudos

Just watched a movie and everything was fine. No problems.

Unrooted, manual update the morning it came out.

Nook Color Wallpapers
Distinguished Correspondent
DaveAvl
0 Kudos

donc13 wrote:

I posted this in a thread on the Nook Color tech board, thought I'd re-post here...

Thanks for putting in the detective work and reporting the results.  This kind of info has gotta be of use to those doing the debugging.

User communities rock! :smileyhappy:

TNTLamb
0 Kudos

donc13 wrote:

I posted this in a thread on the Nook Color tech board, thought I'd re-post here

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

..........................I was very unsatisfied with the original 1.2 update (on top of 1.1) but the 2nd run (exact same sideload file) is far better and I'm satisfied with it.

Could have been a quirk, or not.   YMMV

I don't think it was a quirk Don. I suspect you are right on the money.  I  installed 1.2 on top of 1.1 and had the video problems that have been noted along with the other nucsiance problems (disppearing icons wifi coming and going etc. etc. ) Figuring I had nothing to loose and thinking back to the old days of windows update. I did a wipe. Its been flawless since. I was even on wifi when the big auto reset came along. Nada happened to me. There is something in the configeration. I suspect its with what they are TAKING OFF rather than what they are PUTTING ON. It reminds me of the "fix" programs we run with large data bases to get rid of unaddressed files and packing the good ones.

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

TNTLamb, you said you did a wipe, which reset instructions did you follow please link.

TNTLamb
0 Kudos

REMOVE SD CARD and don't reinsert until done and apps reloaded,,,,

Turn it off. Hold down the power and the N home button until on screen notification appears. Then follow prompts.  At least thats what worked for me.

I didn't have any sideloaded stuff I wanted to save, but you may so be sure and back it up. Also it took a good 15 minute befor it resynced with my online account (fully)

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Reader 4
Schnitzelmeyer
0 Kudos

I was having the same video issues after the 1.2 update (most noticeably the missing frames, and occasional audio/video sync problem).  I was at 1.1 before I updated.

Tonight, I took my NC back to 1.0.0 using the method described in the "How do you do a Hard Reboot on Nook Color 1.2" thread from the NookColor General board.  I then reloaded 1.2.

Video is better than the previous install of 1.2... but still not as good as on 1.1.  There are definitely still missing frames.

Hopefully the engineers are hard at work at a true solution.

Thanks to everyone who is working toward a fix!

Correspondent
Glitchster
0 Kudos

So I reverted back to rooted 1.1.    Movie looked fine as did the video on YouTube (via the YouTube app in the rooted NC).  

I started following the threads on the video quality issue and noted that some people had better success after they had let their NC's sit for a while then did a power off/on sequence.

Oh well....what's a little time.   I took my NC back to full factory reset.   Back to OS 1.0 via the 8 failed restarts and the re-install of the OS.   I then did the Power-Home button reset also.   Ok, back at "brand new" 1.0 OS.    I did a sideload of 1.2 and after it was done, waited about a half hour.   It seemed to be working just fine.   I did the power off/on thing as some of the messages suggested

Great Troubleshooting! :smileyvery-happy:

Do you think you good post  step by step instructions?

I'm a patient worn, shaky, fat fingered disabled vet, who has to take things step by step. Plus, I can't afford to mess up my NOOKCOLOR that's become a constant companion.

Thanks for your time!!

"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy... so, take it easy..." the Eagles

... If knowledge is power, why do I have to keep recharging my ereader ?
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

[ Edited ]

Glitchster wrote:

Oh well....what's a little time.   I took my NC back to full factory reset.   Back to OS 1.0 via the 8 failed restarts and the re-install of the OS.   I then did the Power-Home button reset also.   Ok, back at "brand new" 1.0 OS.    I did a sideload of 1.2 and after it was done, waited about a half hour.   It seemed to be working just fine.   I did the power off/on thing as some of the messages suggested

Great Troubleshooting! :smileyvery-happy:

Do you think you good post  step by step instructions?

I'm a patient worn, shaky, fat fingered disabled vet, who has to take things step by step. Plus, I can't afford to mess up my NOOKCOLOR that's become a constant companion.

Thanks for your time!!

Taking the NC back to full factory reset step by step

YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR CONTENT TEMPORAIRLY!   YOU WILL LOSE ANY SIDELOADED CONTENT THAT IS STORED ON THE NC's INTERNAL MEMORY (but not on your external SD card).  The loss of the B&N content is temporary!   Once you re-register your NC, it wll all be available once again.   Sideloaded content will have to be re-sideloaded.

while it is not necessary, it is always a good idea to remove the SD card if you have one installed.  Remove it if you wish AFTER you have your NC totally powered down.

1. Wake your NC up.    Touch the power key (or home key) and then slide the green arrow to the right.

2. Power off, complete power off your NC.   Hold in the power button until you get the screen dialog asking if you wish to power off your NC.   Answer YES. and WAIT until the NC is full OFF.

3.  Hold in the Power button until the screen flashes.   Let the power button go.   Wait for the moto screen (under 1.2 is says "Read Forever" and then HOLD in the power button once again.   

4.  The NC should power off again after 10 seconds or so.    If you get to the white "Nook Color" screen....you have to start all over again.   This is ONE of EIGHT times you must do this.

5. Repeat step 3 and 4 EIGHT times.   Again, if you get to the white "Nook Color" screen, you must start over.

6. On the 9th time, you will get a screen telling your that your NC is being updated.   BE PATIENT, let it finish the update and reboot itself.   This will take a few minutes.

7. At this point, your NC is partially wiped back to the OS that was current when your NC was built.   This, in most cases is version 1.0.   However it is NOT full wiped out.  

8. You can skip the video but will have to re-connect to WiFI and re-register your NC.   Don't worry, this won't hurt anything.

9. Go to Settings and ERASE AND DEREGISTER your NC.    Your NC may stil for quite a while as this occurs.    IF it takes more than 2 minutes or so....hold in the POWER key once more and when asked, POWER OFF your NC.

10.   Now, with your NC powered off, hold in the HOME key (the "n" key) and then hold in teh power key.    HOLD BOTH until the screen flashes.   KEEP HOLDING the HOME key but let go of the power key.    The NC will jump to an erase to factory reset page where you can now let go of the HOME key.    You will be asked if you wish to reset to factory and you hit the HOME key to answer YES.   You will be once again asked if you wish to reset to factory and once again have to hit the HOME key to say YES.

11.  The NC will go through another cycle of erasing data and restoring the ROM image.   It will once again reset and turn itself on.   At this point, you once again have to setup your WiFI and re-register your NC.   

12.  Once you re-register your NC, all your books and magazines that you have purchased from B&N should show up, although many of them won't be "installed" on your NC and you'll have to re-download them. 

DO NOT UPGRADE TO 1.1 AT THIS POINT.   SideLoad (or wait for the WiFi update) and upgrade to 1.2.   

you're done.

---------
Don
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

donc13 wrote:
In other words....a completely clean install of 1.2 on top of my totally cleared and reset 1.0 OS worked far better than the sideload of 1.2 on top of 1.1.

I've been ready to throw my NC in the trash. Had devastating battery loss, badly deteriorated performance, 2-3 seconds between page turns, and lots of other issues, after the update. I could sit and watch the battery drain while reading a book. Was down to 1.5-3 hours on a charge and losing 8-13% overnight. Wi-fi is always off unless books need to be downloaded, I shop from my computer and not the NC. I used to only charge the NC about once every 10 days or so. So I finally tried your idea of the fallback and straight to 1.2 after not being able to get any kind of help from elsewhere.
I copied my original file structure to my desktop before the reset and right away noticed a couple of things. Normally after an update, there are no files left in the LOST.DIR. Others have said if there were files leftover, then the install didn't go right. I've been fortunate enough to not have any "leftovers" until now.
There were two files in the copyover:  51531 and 219363  (no file extensions)
After the 1.2 update, there is only one file in the LOST.DIR:  1941
Any thoughts on this? Does it mean the install didn't "take"? I'm just getting ready to repopulate my library. It was loads of fun archiving 518 books. I also have not unarchived or set up any of the apps yet. Figured I'd hold off and see what happens first.
Thanks again for your post.
A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

@donc13

Hmm, well after the reinstall it wouldn't see the sd card. When I reintstalled, I didn't have the card in the first time. I'd reformatted the card with the sd formatter program and it kept saying the card was bad.

Soooo ... decided to leave the card in. Deleted that LOST.DIR folder and dragged the 1.2 update back over to the root directory.

Guess what, new LOST.DIR folder is empty and I was able to format the sd card from within the NC settings.

Maybe this will finally get off the ground.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Correspondent
Glitchster
0 Kudos

Outstanding! Thanks! For writing up step by step proceedtures of how to reload/reboot v1.2 NOOKCOLOR OS.
"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy... so, take it easy..." the Eagles

Correspondent
Glitchster
0 Kudos

Donc13, I printed out your detailed instructions which were easy to follow(thanks for the time you spent on them...) Following each step, I had no error or glitches occur during the process. Everything went smoothly. I allowed several days for checking out the operations of my restored NOOKcolor from V1.0 directly to V1.2 without reloading intervining OS Version 1.1. In an effort to improve video playback and slightly better overall OS perfomance. I've noticed a slightly better synching of the voice tracked. I believe some of the remaining video problems maybe due to my router configuration dealing with streaming media, i.e. port forwarding. I copied all NOOKcolor directories into new folders on my laptop. One folder containing the NC's memory & another for the SDcard which really did not need a copy. As I nooted above restoring to the factory based OS Version 1.0 was flawless and the download from B&N went swiftly, as did the download of V1.2. Moving the Zip file of version 1.2 from my laptop download directory to the "media" directory of the NOOKcolor, triggered the unzipping and reloading of V1.2 with no error indications. What has occcured is the Anroid type apps I've download and added to those contained with the latest OS do not function. The additional apps were restored by auto downnload of my library. These offending apps are reported by NC OS as ebook files when reporting a failure to read them. I attempted to re-download them.I couldn't a link at MY B&N to do this. This sums up my OS reloading experience....

Contributor
Boltzmann
0 Kudos

FWIW, add another data point...  All videos play with a stutter (dropped frames) and look atypically pixellated.  All were MP4's made with HandBrake and a mixture of iPhone and Nook settings and it doesn't matter if they are stored on the internal memory on an SD card.  It's bad enough that it renders my NC unusable for movies.

I did try reverting to 1.0 and then sideloading the 1.2 update (skipping 1.1), but the problem is still there.