Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Inspired Correspondent
Niteryder
Posts: 258
Registered: ‎03-17-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Video: Foxnews (ugh I know), First digital book signing on nook


geatdanemomDT wrote:

 


Niteryder wrote:

geatdanemomDT wrote:

Relax, remember: Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me. 

 

Harmless exchange of views and ideas. Kinda like fightingt with those nerf sticks.:smileyvery-happy:


That may be how it starts, but usually does not end that way, no one is satisfied with with just simple exchanges. Watch this will turn ugly at some point.


Oh, so maybe some of their computers are equipped with death rays or something. I have my shields up so I am ok. 

 


???

"Keep me, Protect me, Share me, and I Will Live Forever"
From the Kodak Gallery, A powerful & Moving Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdWwqAI6x9A
Distinguished Correspondent
DeeV
Posts: 140
Registered: ‎04-10-2011

Re: Video: Foxnews (ugh I know), First digital book signing on nook

 


Niteryder wrote:

This thread is a perfect example of why self-moderation does not work. This thread went OT way back and the jabs and insults have just continued. The topic of this thread was ebook signing with a slight jab at FN in the title, the majority of the responses have been directed at  both those who objected at that jab, and those who did not. It is a shame that we cannot be big enough to just let the jab go, agree with it or not and concentrate on the topic of e-book signatures. I, for one, tire of the divisivness these forums almost always bring out, I have to agree with some of the posters who long for B&N moderation on this forum. We have shown we cannot do it ourselves, or will not do it ourselves.

 

Why do intelligent adults revert to kindergarten status when they get behind the keyboard of their computers? Although even in kindergarten we are taught to play nice with others.


 

Ya know i think you are just living in the wrong country or something. I mean come on lighten up and take some responsibility for your own reactions and don't partake in threads that bother you..it's very simple. Seriously, you have a choice exercise it..isn't that what makes this country sooooo great? There is alot of stuff i see on here that i don't agree with or like...so what!! I will get over it. You point out this board needs to be controlled by a moderator yet you can't even control yourself and stop subjecting yourself to threads that bother you???? now where is the true problem? geez!!!

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
Posts: 858
Registered: ‎11-21-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Video: Foxnews (ugh I know), First digital book signing on nook

[ Edited ]

 


Niteryder wrote:

geatdanemomDT wrote:

 


Niteryder wrote:

geatdanemomDT wrote:

Relax, remember: Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me. 

 

Harmless exchange of views and ideas. Kinda like fightingt with those nerf sticks.:smileyvery-happy:


That may be how it starts, but usually does not end that way, no one is satisfied with with just simple exchanges. Watch this will turn ugly at some point.


Oh, so maybe some of their computers are equipped with death rays or something. I have my shields up so I am ok. 

 


???


Some of us wear colanders to protect against trolls and the like. Do a search on the boards, you'll see.Any pets in the room should be protected be like also.

 

search:  colander

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A


Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
Posts: 817
Registered: ‎01-03-2011

Re: Video: Foxnews (ugh I know), First digital book signing on nook

Why do some go into a tizzy when a politically charged conversation takes place, why would anyone expect that conversation to differ from how the world relates?  Hopefully on this forum where we all share a common interest in Nookcolors / ereaders/ ebooks / digital media, we meet here daily to cast our thoughts upon the waters.  Some thoughts create little ripples others waves, but we all want to still meet here, so there is some semblance of order because we like hearing others thoughts.  We may disagree, and sometimes disagree sharply, but most do not bear any ill will toward those regulars we disagree with, we just happen to disagree.  Most of us as adults though want to be heard, when one side or one poster attempts to denigrates the other then the conversation gets a bit ugly.  As regulars we may enter such conversations, we should never lose sight that a line is crossed when others no matter which side of the argument attempt to disenfranchise someone or an opposing side of the conversation. 

 

I can tell you that some here most certainly have a very different view on life, politics, religion than I do, but I have come to respect them and their way of putting their thoughts in posts.  I may post disagreement, but I don't want them enraged or hurt, so I try to choose language to prevent such.  Also it means I listen to their argument, where else does this happen, nowhere, unless it’s with a neighbor or friend.  Very few places exist where you get together daily and dine on thoughts and ideas from others who meet you there daily.  Some of those meals may not taste good, but we are together.  Hopefully we learn to improve on conversational etiquette to improve the conversational meal.

 

I must note that I respond very sharply and can even be insulting when posters are repeatedly speculating on what might be happening with technology, products development, business related, yet those speculations are based on nothing more than whim ignoring reality and those ideas or thoughts are clearly and logically refuted by other posters or sources.  Where it isn’t a case of differing views and no conclusion, instead the conclusion is known yet the errant poster continues in their folly.  I have no patience for such, especially if they persist in promoting misleading information.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
Posts: 1,904
Registered: ‎12-04-2010

Re: Video: Foxnews (ugh I know), First digital book signing on nook

Laurels to deev n geatdane...deev, i chalk it up to fox news mentality. Sorta borg like aint it.....geatdane, what version of "shield" are you running? :smileyhappy:
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Correspondent
Niteryder
Posts: 258
Registered: ‎03-17-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Video: Foxnews (ugh I know), First digital book signing on nook

Appearantly asking for some civility is taboo here, go ahead and flame, rip, and chastize whoever you wish I apologize for any dischord I may have caused.

"Keep me, Protect me, Share me, and I Will Live Forever"
From the Kodak Gallery, A powerful & Moving Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdWwqAI6x9A
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
Posts: 1,904
Registered: ‎12-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Video: Foxnews (ugh I know), First digital book signing on nook

Niteryder, im a bit cionfused with that post. Both sides of this discussion have equally chastised each other. No one has really gotten nasty. Why are you here? What is your point? Im not being snarkey or trying to be a jerk, I really want to know. It just seems silly to me for someone to get upset with people discussing or arguing when they are not being forced to participate?
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Contributor
crabbybob
Posts: 125
Registered: ‎04-29-2011

Re: Video: Foxnews (ugh I know), First digital book signing on nook

Fox News is an oxymoron.  Their my favorite news site because when I read one of their stories I immediatly want to know what they didn't tell me.  I also like their polls.  Predicting the result is usually pretty easy, I just have to think like Sarah Palin, or a tea bagger, which means I don't have to think through a subject just visualize how it would come across as a campaing slogan. 

Inspired Correspondent
Niteryder
Posts: 258
Registered: ‎03-17-2011

Re: Video: Foxnews (ugh I know), First digital book signing on nook

This thread is young, it will grow into something nasty at some point. As most political back and forths do. I am not personally offended by this thread, I just do not like the course it can take at some point. A longstanding rule has always been never bring religion or politics into a civil discussion, it will most always turn nasty. I have seen many threads turn nasty here and elsewhere when the 2 above mentioned subjects are discussed.

 

Personally I have no stake in this discussion, my point was simply to keep it civil and show some understanding of the other persons point of view, or just keep the thread to the original topic which was e-signatures. I think it is silly to argue with someone you do not know online. To say that it does not affect others is not true, many have left due to the nature of the discussions here, that does affect me, they may have had something to offer that will not be seen now. Perhaps they could have answered a question someone else had, if they are gone we will never know.

 

Look anyone can discuss what ever they wish, I am nit the police or a judge of anyone elses point of view. I just hate to see discussions go south and argueing a point they can never win. I am sorry to have offended anyone by my post, it was not my intention, if that is not good enough and you wish to dig or flame or whatever, go for it, it wont hurt my feelings. I do not know any of you, and frankly the only peoples opinions that really matter to me are my wife, my kids and the guy that looks back at me every morning while I shave.

"Keep me, Protect me, Share me, and I Will Live Forever"
From the Kodak Gallery, A powerful & Moving Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdWwqAI6x9A
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
Posts: 1,904
Registered: ‎12-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Video: Foxnews (ugh I know), First digital book signing on nook

@niterider, fair enough. :smileyhappy:
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Correspondent
IzzysNook
Posts: 56
Registered: ‎02-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Video: Foxnews (ugh I know), First digital book signing on nook


Niteryder wrote:

This thread is young, it will grow into something nasty at some point. As most political back and forths do. I am not personally offended by this thread, I just do not like the course it can take at some point. A longstanding rule has always been never bring religion or politics into a civil discussion, it will most always turn nasty. I have seen many threads turn nasty here and elsewhere when the 2 above mentioned subjects are discussed.

 

Threads with negativity in their titles often turn out to be offensive and this one is no different.  There was absolutely no reason for it in the first place, but the OP apparently has an agenda and is now whining because the remarks didn't go unchallenged.

 

This type of discussion has no place on a book discussion forum, but please don't expect the participants here to ignore the slanted views and harsh comments directed at them. 

 

The OP obviously has some sort of a need to put down others with whom she disagrees, even to the point of ridiculing their viewing/reading habits.  Of course there's going to be lashing out in kind, but then, I think she knew that when she started this

 

 

Frequent Contributor
Mack_the_Knife
Posts: 297
Registered: ‎12-21-2010

Re: Video: Foxnews (ugh I know), First digital book signing on nook

 


♥ Children make you want to start life over
Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
Posts: 858
Registered: ‎11-21-2010

Re: Video: Foxnews (ugh I know), First digital book signing on nook

  Remember when the news was FACTS and any newscasters spinning or giving his/her opinion on it was chastised for doing so. If you wanted analysis you turned into Sunday morning round tables?

 

 This is the underlying problem with our news stations in my opinion not which side of the fence watches what network. With any of them you can never be sure you were given, (as my dad says) "the straight scoop". 

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A


Wordsmith
Tim40744
Posts: 536
Registered: ‎07-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Video: Foxnews (ugh I know), First digital book signing on nook

It's interesting how a thread can go OT on the second post. About 40 posts ago, our old moderator, Michael-V, would have posted something like this:

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/interesting-e-reader-comparison/m-p/6...

 

In case any new member thinks the boards are heavily moderated NOW...   :smileywink:

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
Posts: 817
Registered: ‎01-03-2011

Re: Video: Foxnews (ugh I know), First digital book signing on nook

"A longstanding rule has always been never bring religion or politics into a civil discussion,"

That’s a PC cop-out overly used cliché, people love quoting that to avoid discussing what is important to most people.  Such discussion can turn messy, however it is possible in a community (we are a community) to still argue, even getting a bit critical, but still respectful of the opposing side or opposing argument.  Engage and learn.

One thing I learned in this thread is, a lot of people like and watch Fox news.  Yeah I know the ratings say it, but bashing Fox is so common you start to feel like you’re on a different planet because you don't share that view.

Another good thing about controversial subjects, is people really try to express themselves, to convince others their point of view is correct, meaning they really are working at thinking.  Unfortunately some fall back on common gross generalizations and berating the opposing side.

It would help to have some guidelines for such a discussion
1.  Name calling...  it’s such a waste of time, anyone can do it, avoid labels.  How about giving evidence that supports the negative connotation?
2. Avoid recycling you're particular bias's rhetoric.  i.e. "he is homophobic because he doesn’t support gay marriage".   or "Obama is a Muslim, because of his name and heritage".
3. Don't claim you don't take a side, yet your posts clearly favor one side of the argument.
4. Remember, you are NOT right", that may be hard to swallow.  Most issues are not simple and red vs. blue doesn't cut it.  If you  can present a convincing argument for a position fine, realize anything can be proven by example.  Rem the other guy or side still has his view and you have to respect him maybe not his view but don't lose sight of respecting him/her :smileyhappy:.
5. Make an effort to see the other sides point of view, watch something besides all Fox or all CNN.  Take a break from NPR and listen to some conservative talk radio, or vice versa.  Challenge yourself, what do you really know?

 

Good can come from those messy discussions. 

Wordsmith
dparrothead1
Posts: 369
Registered: ‎02-04-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Video: Foxnews (ugh I know), First digital book signing on nook

I think Bob Dylan said it best "And you're right from your side as I'm right from mine"....:smileysurprised:

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Correspondent
IzzysNook
Posts: 56
Registered: ‎02-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Video: Foxnews (ugh I know), First digital book signing on nook

There are literally thousands of political forums on the internet where the OP could have posted her toxic comment.  Instead she chose to pollute a book discussion forum....apparently in some perverse need to spread her view and insist others are somehow lacking if they don't agree with her.

 

It doesn't have to become 'nasty' (it shouldn't have been started here in the first place), but should she be held accountable for flaming the board?  Yes, she should. 

Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Video: Foxnews (ugh I know), First digital book signing on nook

Correspondent
IzzysNook
Posts: 56
Registered: ‎02-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Video: Foxnews (ugh I know), First digital book signing on nook


Tim40744 wrote:

It's interesting how a thread can go OT on the second post


It was off topic to begin with....from the very first post.

Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Registered: ‎02-15-2010

Re: Video: Foxnews (ugh I know), First digital book signing on nook

 


IzzysNook wrote:

Tim40744 wrote:

It's interesting how a thread can go OT on the second post


It was off topic to begin with....from the very first post.


No, it wasn't.  People just chose to focus on one tiny, completely inconsequential remark instead of the actual point of the thread.