Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Volume

Anyone wishing the volume was higher? I can barely hear Pandora  or Read to Me books unless I have my headset on. I am hoping with the update early next year this might be something Tech Support might work on.

Contributor
suzihawk

Re: Volume

Check to make sure the volume is set to the maximum level under the Settings page (Sounds).  Then it can be adjusted up or down with the buttons on the right side of the device.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

I have my volume setting to the max under the settings, sounds. Still not loud enough. And hubby has a N color also, and agrees with me.

Wordsmith
SCIONTX
0 Kudos

The volume on my first NOOKcolor was nice and loud. My replacement doesn't have the same loudness. Strange.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

S....the room has to be totally silent for my grandson to hear the reader.

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

I can hardly hear mine unless the room is silent too, or I use headphones. Which is fine, nobody needs to hear my stuff but me.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@ Doreen,

Do you have one of the B&N NC covers? The covers seem to help the sound resonate a little louder. Without my cover on, can barely hear music, but with teh cover on, I can hear fine.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Yes...I use a book jacket but it's no different.

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

The low speaker volume is my number 1 complaint. The Read To Me feature is practically worthless. A shame, as I was looking forward to using it with my grandchildren. I even went to my B&N store to check out their demo model thinking that mine was defective, but theirs was no better. Hopefully this can be fixed with an update.
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

You might want to get a small, portable external speaker, preferably a powered one. That would certainly fix the volume issue, although with some inconvenience of use.

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Yeah, that would be a good solution.  I can't see a firmware update making the built-in speakers larger or of higher quality.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Thank you Pete...I feel better I am not alone on this one.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Withfeeling...yeah that would be a hassle for sure.

Contributor
nosirrahm
0 Kudos

The volume is fine on mine.  Sometimes I have to turn it down.  Although when listening to Pandora, I would rather have it on with headphones or connected to my Bose Wave Radio.  The speakers are to small and "tinny" to make it sound better without external speakers.

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

withfeeling - thanks for the suggestion to use an external speaker. With the way I plan on using the onboard speaker, an external speaker would not inconvenience me too much.
Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

jeannie - if this were a WinMo device I'd go into the registry and change some sound attenuation settings to improve the volume, something I've done before. I guess I was hoping that something similar could be done with a firmware update on Android. This is my first Android device so I'm kind of lost as to its modification capabilities.
Contributor
MercTech
0 Kudos

Instead of wishing for a better built in speaker, I just used an old ipod accessory I had lying around.  Stereo speakers that plug in.. little barrel shaped speaker set that uses one AAA battery.  Excellent volume for sitting on the desk while I do other work or on the windowsill in the kitchen. (recipe displayed and music playing)

Contributor
HoneyWitSpice
0 Kudos

I think the designers made a GOOF!!!  WHY would they put the speakers on the back of the device as opposed to the bottom, the top or the sides????  I guess the earphones or external speakers will have to do for now......

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Honey...you hit the nail right on the head.....why put the speaker in the rear which is generally covered by a case.

Contributor
wtherrell
0 Kudos

Well I have everything turned up and I can barely hear it.  My Android phones speakerphone and media player is very good but this is intolerable.  It will be returned tomorrow.