Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
WildNole

WOW!

Not sure who wrote it in another thread, but I agree with their sentiment that he/she bet most of the people on this forum were a ton of fun on Christmas morning!  "But, I wanted a "blue" car!"  "How come my doll has "two" arms?"  Is the update perfect - of course not.  Why?  Because everyone here wanted it do do something different (BTW, for those of you who have any interest in Angry Birds or are apoplectic about paying $3, you probably should stop reading now).

Many of you are probably familiar with a concept called market segmentation and that is the problem right now.  B&N has created a product that satisfies as many people as possible which means that at the end of the day it only provides a great deal of satisfaction to a small group.  Imagine a large circle.  People in the center of the circle are ones that are overjoyed with the NC and the update.  As you move outward from there you get less and less satisfaction.  B&N could identify different groups and develop different NCs for each group, but that would be lunacy from a financial standpoint so I'm not criticizing B&N whatsoever for not having the "NC Optimized for Angry Birds" version or the "NC Optimized for People Who Like to Read Technical Manuals in PDF" version or the "NC Optimized for People Who Like to Read Outside While Wearing Polarized Sunglasses" version.  

Think about how many different versions of refrigerators there are on the market.  Refrigerators!  They do one thing - keep things cold.  Why are there so many?  Because American consumers are so spoiled they believe they should get *EXACTLY* what they want even with regard to something as utilitarian as a refrigerator.  So imagine a device like the NC.  There is simply NO way everyone is going to be happy.  Some comments I read I agree with (e.g., slower video playback, slower abilty to move around the NC).  But many others make me wonder how people function in the world.  If the worst thing that happened to you this week was that you can now get Angry Birds on you NC but it costs $3, you have had a pretty damn good week!

I had one of the original Nooks and never imagined I would want/need a NC.  I got one for Christmas and love it.  The fact that it has a true web browser was a huge enhancement and I like the updates we just got.  The reader is great for my purposes (can't imagine why I would want to read in landscape and can't decide if there really is an advantage or if some just need something to bitch about).  I've put a few videos on my NC but why would I watch them on that when I normally have my netbook with me.  But when I have watched videos, no problems.  I do wish the App Market was larger and expect (hope) that will grow, but I got what I wanted with a note taker and a couple of other things. Yes, I wish I had access to the full Android Marketplace but guess what - I almost always have my Android phone with me and can use that if need be.  

Maybe I'm just a lot easier to please than my wife says I am (:smileyhappy:) but I don't get all the uproar.  What I wonder is this - if B&N had never mentioned the possibility of an update and then sprung this on us, what would have been the reaction?  As it is, people had months to stew over exactly would be provided and imagine their perfect NC update and when it fell short of that, everyone is disappointed.

I apologize up front to those offended (and I'm talking to you, people who are upset at having to pay $3 for Angry Birds), but I don't believe I have ever seen a product so loved by people who seem to hate it so much.  As a marketing professor it is one of the most fascinating things I have ever run across.   

Frequent Contributor
JZinSouthNH

Re: WOW!

[ Edited ]

Here! Here!  Zillion Laurels to da Prof!

Correspondent
HamNCheese

[ Edited ]

I couldn't agree more with your 2nd paragraph.

Android is royally F'd up at the moment.  You have Chinese companies pumping out sub-standard hardware all day long.  Meanwhile, Samsung, Motorla, and friends charge $600 for a "decent" android tablet.

What B&N is doing here is actually pretty important:  They are taking a fragmented, overall low-quality experience and enhancing it Apple-style.  There is so much crap on the Android Market that doesn't work right it's not even worth downloading most apps.  By taking control of the app store, they ensure a high-quality experience for *all* applications that run on the Nook hardware.

Well played, B&N.

HOWEVER....

This comes at a price...  Perfectly good, working apps (Gmail, many games, Kindle, etc) won't be given a shot because they compete with B&N applications.  You will never see these apps on a stock B&N OS.

This is where they went wrong, and this is why I rooted OS 1.2.

Let the masses who don't care have the premium experience.  That's fine.  Apple rakes in BILLIONS doing it.

But someone like me has the desire (and the ability) to eliminate whatever restrictions B&N (or Apple for that matter) put in place, and put back the missing funcitonality that should not have been removed in the first place. 

Android is a product that is the blood and sweat of thousands of developers - NOT B&N.  The truth of the matter is, they have very little investment in this platform, aside from their own  "enhancements" 

I'm a big Gmail user.  My company runs on Google Apps.  And yet, B&N (in their infinte wisdom) has decided that the forthcoming version of QuickOffice (*bleh*) is the best thing for me.  Some bean counter made a deal with QuickOffice, and now we don't really have a say.

This is why so many people hate on Apple, and this is no different.  I commend B&N for doing something different - they truly have a shot against the big boys.  But why do this at the expense of allowing me to decide for myself?  Just turn off "Unknown Sources" like everyone else does...  That will eliminate 99% of the "side-loading" anyway...

In the end....It's my hardware, and I will do with it as I please.

Got root?

Like my work? Buy me a beer! :smileyhappy:
Correspondent
HamNCheese

[ Edited ]

One more thing....

Let's not forget that B&N is over-charging for their apps.  Angry birds is arguably the most popular app at the moment.  Over at Amazon, Angry Birds Original, Seasons, and Rio are all $0.99 each.

Got root?

Like my work? Buy me a beer! :smileyhappy:
Inspired Correspondent
W8WCA

[ Edited ]

(BTW, for those of you who have any interest in Angry Birds or are apoplectic about paying $3, you probably should stop reading now).

to you this week was that you can now get Angry Birds on you NC but it costs $3, you have had a pretty damn good week!

I posted a comment about Angry Birds being 2.99 and I think people miss-read what I was trying to say.

I have NO problem paying for software - I do not expect free everything!

My complaint about it is - I only paid .99 Cents on my iPod Touch.

As I said I do not expect free software - I just did not see why it is (or was) .99cents for Apple and 2.99 for NC

I LOVE my NC, and am thankful than B&N continues supporting and updating them!

That is it

Cheers Mates,

Charlie

Come by and Visit ClubNook!

Cheers Charlie
Wordsmith
dparrothead1

W8WCA wrote:

(BTW, for those of you who have any interest in Angry Birds or are apoplectic about paying $3, you probably should stop reading now).

to you this week was that you can now get Angry Birds on you NC but it costs $3, you have had a pretty damn good week!

I posted a comment about Angry Birds being 2.99 and I think people miss-read what I was trying to say.

I have NO problem paying for software - I do not expect free everything!

My complaint anbout it is - I only paid .99 Cents on my iPod Touch.

As I said I do not expect free software - I just did not see why it is (or was) .99cents for Apple and 2.99 for NC

That is it

Cheers Mates,

Charlie

And I got A/G Rio (ad free) free from the daily freebie from Amazon!

I have A/B and A/B Seasons that I got from the Android Market for free but they do have adds.  Now on my phone that was very annoying, but on the 7" screen, the little banner in the upper right hand corner is barley noticeable.

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Inspired Contributor
benjaminhuff

I look at it as though the NC is setting higher standards (in the App Market) and charging a little more for it. I certainly don't mind paying a few bucks for a few simple Apps that I use all the time rather than paying less for many apps, some that work and most that do not as fluently as I would prefer.

Inspired Contributor
Badmamajama

My friend, you've said it well. As an engineer, When I purchase a new piece of equipment for a specific purpose, and it does exactly that, I constantly hear, "That's great, but can you make it do this or that?" People always want more for less. Hence you refridgerator example.

Ah, but, see, this is what pushes the envelope on new and exciting products. Just look at how far we've come in the last 50 years. Back then, people would ask, "What's an IC?". someone once said that, "Oh, we will never need more then 360K of memory. Remember the single -sided 31/2" floppies, or the 51/4" ones?

How about the first compurter...What I'm saying is that if people didn't ask for more & more "goodies", there might never be things like the IPAD. It's these people that ask it can do this or that, that drive research and development through the roof. Engineering constantly asks, "What if we give them this? It drives the software engineers nutz!

so, as long as we keep trying to stretch the envelope, there will always be new and exciting inventions just around the corner.

That's progress Baby!.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Ramblings of the Engineer, Easycool
Contributor
Gimel_Vav
0 Kudos

I totally agree with you.

I think it's typical that dissatisfied (rightly or wrongly) people tend to complain more, so that skews the customer satisfaction statistics if you only look at these on-line discussions.

Correspondent
flfarber

I agree as well with almost everything except the landscape reading...It is an eReader after all and landscape reading seems like a natural fit in this market segment.  IMHO, the benefit is that two colum landscape reading requires less eye movement to read.

Fred

Inspired Correspondent
Viktornka

WildNole wrote:
...I don't believe I have ever seen a product so loved by people who seem to hate it so much. 

The reactions on this board are really interesting to see. A laurel to you, Prof!

Frequent Contributor
dkwdba

I just have to respond - as other have on other threads - that Angry Birds is not over-priced.  It is reformatted for the 7" screen in HD.  If you want the smaller phone or ipod version it is cheaper, and if you wan the iPad version it is $5.  B&N are pricing themselves exactly in the middle of the market in a place consistent with the technology they are providing.

The best analogy I can think of, would be if people complained when Blu-ray came out - because the discs cost more than DVD's...

Inspired Correspondent
Viktornka

HamNCheese wrote:

Android is royally F'd up at the moment.  You have Chinese companies pumping out sub-standard hardware all day long.  Meanwhile, Samsung, Motorla, and friends charge $600 for a "decent" android tablet.

What B&N is doing here is actually pretty important:  They are taking a fragmented, overall low-quality experience and enhancing it Apple-style.  There is so much crap on the Android Market that doesn't work right it's not even worth downloading most apps.  By taking control of the app store, they ensure a high-quality experience for *all* applications that run on the Nook hardware.

A laurel to you, HamNCheese, for saying this better than I can.  I'm indeed willing to pay the price for BN to screen apps for me.

And I honor your right to do as you wish with your own hardware.

Enjoy!

Frequent Contributor
Feh5
0 Kudos

Amen!

Inspired Correspondent
zenaxe
0 Kudos

HamNCheese wrote:

Wow, it's a shame there's only a "laurel" button this makes me wish for a "BS" button!

Contributor
khfbornholm

I've got to agree.  Part of the problem is that some of us have been building up this update for weeks, or in my case, since last November when I got my NC.  The longer we waited, the higher the expectation that we set.  Now that I've had mine updated for 24 hours, I have to admit it really did take care of two or three of my biggest concerns.  I have loved the NC up to this point, and now that the dust has settled, I realize that I love it even more.  It definitely became more useful for me with this update.  It's a quality product, but no one could have met all the expectations that were being heaped on the update.

Or in the immortal words of Pogo, by Walt Kelly, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Correspondent
crim_crazy622
0 Kudos

I agree!!

"If you it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it must be a duck." So far mine nc is not walking, quacking or looking like an ipad and I don't expect it to be. 

Yes it is nice to have the update. Yes I hope there are more apps but I am not going to complain about what we were given.  We all knew that there would be kinks and things to work out and give bn credit. i was in a local bn the other day and mentioned to the girl behind the nook counter about the update... she said her dad is said that he doesn't get updates on his kindle.  We should be grateful for what we've got. 

"I think the fact that we're all gonna' die is a pretty good reason to stop complaining."-Dave Matthews

imho

"I think the fact that we're all gonna' die is a pretty good reason to stop complaining." ~Dave Matthews ~
Frequent Contributor
snugelkin
0 Kudos

I agree, my only problem is paying more for things everywhere eles is cheaper. You wouldnt just pay any price at the stores you shop around. I understand maybe a slight rise in price but these r like 3x more!
~}i{~ I am just a Raggety Ann Doll in a Barbie Doll world! ~}i{~
Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

Great OP.  Many laurels to you.

Really folks, this all boils down to what everything boils down to, and that is money.  B&N is in this game to make as much of it that they can, as is any company.  They are charging $2.99 for Angry Birds for the same reason that a dog ....  Because they can.  Somewhere along the way they analyzed the market and determined that could make money on this app.  Their research helped them determine a price point at which they could maximize revenue.  Period.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Their analysis seems to be sound in that there appears to be a lot of people purchasing the app.  Somewhere in their corporate office is a guy who lobbied for the $2.99 price pointing his finger in the face of the guy wanting it set at $1.99 saying "See? I told you!"   

Inspired Contributor
GeoffWill

HamNCheese wrote:

Well played, B&N.

HOWEVER....

This comes at a price...  Perfectly good, working apps (Gmail, many games, Kindle, etc) won't be given a shot because they compete with B&N applications.  You will never see these apps on a stock B&N OS.

This is where they went wrong, and this is why I rooted OS 1.2.

Let the masses who don't care have the premium experience.  That's fine.  Apple rakes in BILLIONS doing it.

But someone like me has the desire (and the ability) to eliminate whatever restrictions B&N (or Apple for that matter) put in place, and put back the missing funcitonality that should not have been removed in the first place. 

Android is a product that is the blood and sweat of thousands of developers - NOT B&N.  The truth of the matter is, they have very little investment in this platform, aside from their own  "enhancements" 

I'm a big Gmail user.  My company runs on Google Apps.  And yet, B&N (in their infinte wisdom) has decided that the forthcoming version of QuickOffice (*bleh*) is the best thing for me.  Some bean counter made a deal with QuickOffice, and now we don't really have a say.

This is why so many people hate on Apple, and this is no different.  I commend B&N for doing something different - they truly have a shot against the big boys.  But why do this at the expense of allowing me to decide for myself?  Just turn off "Unknown Sources" like everyone else does...  That will eliminate 99% of the "side-loading" anyway...

In the end....It's my hardware, and I will do with it as I please.

But, by allowing rooting and even the discussion of it here, isn't that essentially what they are doing? If you want the other options, root your device... if you want the "walled garden" stay stock.