Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Mark_75070
0 Kudos

Waited to buy the Color Nook, and now very Disappointed

Where to begin.

I bought a Color Nook yesterday evening. After wrestling with this device for about 6 hours, it's going back to Barnes and Noble this evening unless I can resolve even half of these issues.

First of all, I wanted a reader that worked as well as my IPad as a reader, but not as bulky. I had a Nook (the regular one), but the PDF functionality was so bad that I gave it away to my nephew. In general, 80% of my books are PDF, so I had no choice but to find a good PDF reader. I also made a lot of use from my IPad's video player, since it was a great way to take online instructional video lessons and to let my young daughter watch movies. But the IPad was just too big to lug around. So when the Color nook was announced, I thought this was going to be the best of all worlds. With the new Android software, it would now do everything that I needed AND had a nice web browser. The perfect solution.

OK, not so much:

In short, the Color Nook is just not ready.

The GOOD:

1. The reader is great for ePub. Very nice screen. Note-taking is fair, if a little clunky

2. JPG files look great. Very detailed and the colors are wonderful.

3. Very light device. Easy to hold

4. Battery life seems good, even though I didn't run it all the way down.

5. Very nice Web browser.

6. Email client works very well and is very easy to set up.

7. FLASH works. (You listening APPLE?)

The BAD:

1. This is not really a general purpose Android device. It is locked to whatever Barnes and Noble says is ok to install. This is not a deal breaker though. Even with that restriction, I could live with it.

2. Poor video playback, for the videos that I could actually run. I noticed that the video resolution was much poorer than on my IPad and the frame rate was painful to watch. Terrible.

3. Half of my MP4 files would not run at all, even though the all ran on my PC, my MAC and my IPad. I kept getting an "unable to show this video" error or similar. I even re-ripped them at a much lower resolution and they still would not run

4. Although the instructions state clearly that the Color Nook is compatible with .m4v files (Apple Itunes type), it is clearly not running any of them that I have. It would not run any of this format, or even show them in the library.

5. CRITICAL PROBLEM. The device stopped allowing me to transfer files from my laptop, stating that the memory was full. I then erased most of the files that were in the device library. After they were removed, it still said that the memory was full. I did a directory report on the memory and the memory reported that it was 90% full even after the files were all removed. This is BAD, and a software/firmware issue. Only a complete restore of the system brought the memory report back to "normal".

6. The touch screen is terrible. I guess I am spoiled by the IPad screen, but the fingers swipes are not recognized half of the time, and when they are recognized. they are lagging far behind the touch point. It's like trying to drag ice as far as responsiveness, but without a smooth screen. And the resolution of the screen is very crude.

I really wanted to love this Reader, but it's not ready for anything other than reading ePub books and web browsing. It needs a lot of work. I really want to love this reader, but I am really disappointed. And as an experienced electrical engineer/software/firmare writer, I hate being a BETA tester for something I paid for.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Re: Waited to buy the Color Nook, and now very Disappointed

Hmmmmm.......  I'm no expert on rooting, but from all I have heard, It would probably solve most if not all of the problems you listed.  You are right, it does need a lot of work, and fortunately its getting work.  But if it is not what you were expecting, or requires too many modifications for your tastes, you probably ought to return it. 

Inspired Contributor
revkev313
0 Kudos

Having purchased an I product this weekend, I can totaly understand your frustration with the NC. 

I will say rooting the device opens up many possibilities that are not available in the stock NC.  I rooted and un-rooted as I waited for the most recent update.

The video quality dropped some after the update, but I feel the IT people will get that together along with a slew of other bugs found after the update.

If the NC is not to your liking I would definitely take it back, no need paying for something you're not comfortable with.

Many other tablets available, possibly through your cell provider, that fit the portability design of the NC and also include 3G and cameras for more functionability.

I spent the weekend with my new I device that I love, but felt so good reading and surfing last night on my NC.

Best of wishes to you, and hope you find what you're looking for.

Reading will unlock mysteries of the Universe
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980

It sounds like you just wanted a cheap iPad. The NOOKcolor is not a full tablet, and is not advertised as one. It is an ereader with tablet capabilities.

Distinguished Correspondent
DrAstro
0 Kudos

I put Phiremod/Honeycomb on an SD card and have been booting from that.  It has all the functionality of the IPAD, and more.  I've been happy with the functionality and have been quite impressed with the device so far.  I have the full android market, flash 10.2, full web browsing, etc.

The only complaint is that it isn't completely stable.  Things occasionally crash and have to reboot on the SD card installs.  However, the tradeoff with what I paid is understandable.  If you want something that just works without tinkering, this probably isn't the right choice.  If you don't mind some fiddling and having to occasionally restart, this device can't be beat.

Correspondent
baby_chyll
0 Kudos

Why not try the NOOK for China iPAD ripoff? Try to check Blackberry China as well.

Wits and Confidence are the building blocks of success. I so hate whining FAGS
Inspired Wordsmith
TigerShawk
0 Kudos

On Video, you have to be careful on what types of MP4 you give it.  It does support it, and run it well, but not all things that you can do in MP4 can play well on the NC.  Besides the resolution, and Baseline, you shouldn't try to run anything over stereo and 128kbs on the sample rate.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

baby_chyll wrote:

Why not try the NOOK for China iPAD ripoff? Try to check Blackberry China as well.

Why not get back to work before you are fired for posting things when you are supposed to be working, little girl?  Companies do not like that and they are probably quick to fire people in your country. 

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Contributor
nookc
0 Kudos

If you get the video error message you need to re-boot once to clear that issue. (hold the power button until a power down message appears, Power down, wait for a minute, hold power button until device restarts, wait a minute for all the icons to re-initialize).  

The NC does play itunes content no problem, I have a mix of file formats on mine and they all run well. The re-boot may solve this. 

The "still full after delete" issue is and odd one but easy to fix. Empty the trash bin (if you are a mac guy) or the trash folder on the device. Deleting a file from the nook only moves it to the trash folder but still occupies the same space.

Touch response, I am with you. Apple's got that one nailed.

Is it an ipad, no. Is it an Android tablet, no. Is it more than a standard e-reader, yes. 

Keep the rubber side down!
Frequent Contributor
Arisia
0 Kudos

nookc,

Do you play itunes video on the NC??   Could you tell me in simple terms how that is done?

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Mark_75070 wrote:

The BAD:

1. This is not really a general purpose Android device. It is locked to whatever Barnes and Noble says is ok to install. This is not a deal breaker though. Even with that restriction, I could live with it.

This is clearly mentioned in all the Nook Color information and the reviews.

2. Poor video playback, for the videos that I could actually run. I noticed that the video resolution was much poorer than on my IPad and the frame rate was painful to watch. Terrible.

There is a problem with the 1.2 video drivers. The Nook Color used the play video very well.

3. Half of my MP4 files would not run at all, even though the all ran on my PC, my MAC and my IPad. I kept getting an "unable to show this video" error or similar. I even re-ripped them at a much lower resolution and they still would not run

Make sure that your MP4 files do not exceed the 854x480 resolution limit of the video player (lower than the screen resolution).

4. Although the instructions state clearly that the Color Nook is compatible with .m4v files (Apple Itunes type), it is clearly not running any of them that I have. It would not run any of this format, or even show them in the library.

5. CRITICAL PROBLEM. The device stopped allowing me to transfer files from my laptop, stating that the memory was full. I then erased most of the files that were in the device library. After they were removed, it still said that the memory was full. I did a directory report on the memory and the memory reported that it was 90% full even after the files were all removed. This is BAD, and a software/firmware issue. Only a complete restore of the system brought the memory report back to "normal".

Are you using an Apple laptop? Apple computers leave behind a hidden trashcan folder  with the deleted data, instead of realy deleting the files. To create free space you have to remove this trashcan folder.

6. The touch screen is terrible. I guess I am spoiled by the IPad screen, but the fingers swipes are not recognized half of the time, and when they are recognized. they are lagging far behind the touch point. It's like trying to drag ice as far as responsiveness, but without a smooth screen. And the resolution of the screen is very crude.

Pixel density of the Nook Color screen is even higher than that of the Ipad. The great screen is the best feature of the Nook Color. Most people find the Nook Color screen too sensitve. Perhaps you have a defective Nook Color, and need to exchange it?

I really wanted to love this Reader, but it's not ready for anything other than reading ePub books and web browsing. It needs a lot of work. I really want to love this reader, but I am really disappointed. And as an experienced electrical engineer/software/firmare writer, I hate being a BETA tester for something I paid for.

The Nook Color works very well, and is not a BETA product.

Contributor
Mark_75070

Thanks for all the responses. I guess that I was expecting more than the Nook Color is. But I will keep checking back to see if the issues are solved with newer iterations of the software/firmware. It's a good start and I am sure the technology will mature.

Correspondent
baby_chyll
0 Kudos

@Deemure

Should I be scared? I'm living in a free country. I dont care about those non-sense(jobs, etc etc.) If I get fired, I'm gonna apply in your company. That sounds good. :smileyhappy:

Wits and Confidence are the building blocks of success. I so hate whining FAGS
Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

Mark_75070:

I appreciate your clearly written and well-thought out critique and your struggles with your new NookColor.  I wish you were having as good an experience as I am having (and have had since February) with both of the NCs in my household.

It is quite likely the NC is not the device for you.  I respect that and wish you well with whatever device you choose in the future! ;0)

However...my thoughts and experiences below if you or anybody else wants to read:

The restriction to B&N material on the stock NC is fine for MOST users as so many of the apps in the Android marketplace are junk and overrated...as B&N works out kinks and adds more choice of content, all should get immensely better for the majority of NC users.   The alternative is to root which many from these boards have done and have discussed in endless posts the good, bad and ugly of rooting this device.

My iTunes music files play just fine and I have them stored in the NookColor's internal storage.

I have used DVD Catalyst 4 ($9.95 and the programmer reads/responds on these boards) to rip DVDs to use on my NC...using the NookColor settings, they work great...beautiful quality, even with the update in my experience at least.

My touch screen is awesomely responsive, both without and with an anti-glare protector.  It is HIGHLY sensitive and you may just need to adjust HOW you touch it.  Most issues with the screen can be handled by cleaning it thoroughly...many complain that it is too sensitive.  There are times when I don't even think I have touched a link or a button quite yet and yet it goes...

The device is not in BETA testing...sure, the new update has some kinks in it and the server mess last week did not help matters much...but like with most other devices, updates happen and kinks get worked out.  I have high hopes for good things.

I think you have one of three issues...1)  you either got a defective unit or 2) your expectations were a bit too high or unrealistic for this particular device (as an experienced tech guy) or 3) you have some other technical issues going on between your computer/files and those appropriately converted for the NC...it may be a combination of those as well.

May the force be with you and may whatever device you settle on live long and prosper!

Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

It really is about expectations and preferences.

I find the email app sorely lacking, and even more so because two of the keyboard settings just don't work. Those settings should work... it doesn't make this "beta" that they don't, it makes those settings broken.

I have small fingers, a light touch, and an anti-glare screen protector, and the screen is still often way too responsive. I keep thinking back to the old Palm days and digitizers, and wishing this had one.

I knew I was buying an ereader, one that offered different things than the Nook, which I also have. I knew it wasn't going to be a bigger iPod Touch or smaller iPad... I knew it was an "ereader plus" - one that is the perfect size, for me, and depending on how much customizing I want to do, can do a whole lot more.

I hope you are able to find your "just right" device, and hopefully with some research beforehand, you will.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

On the 90% full memory. The statistics reporting for the nooks are opposite of what we are used to. The nooks report the amount of free memory.

So if your memory was truly 90% full, the statistics screen would display 10%.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
DRV
Wordsmith
DRV
0 Kudos

Mark_75070 wrote:

Thanks for all the responses. I guess that I was expecting more than the Nook Color is.

Thanks for that.  It's not easy to admit that perhaps one's expectations are the problem rather than the device.  Many folks here complain that the NC isn't a tablet and they don't like it.  Few admit it was their expectations that might be awry.  You, sir, are big enough to admit that.  I wish you well in your search for the right device.