Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
akaCat

Re: What I find the most amusing about all of this...

Derwin wrote:

Did we even dream of having devices capable of all they do back 50 years ago..... 20 years ago.... or even 10 years ago?

I know I read about devices quite similar to my NC, iPad and/or android phone in scifi books at least 30 years ago.

I blame that for my tendancy to stare at one of my gadgets all starry-eyed and launch into a "uphill in the snow both ways" speech to my younger friends. :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL

The pilot episode of Star Trek, the black and white one with Christopher Pike instead of James T. Kirk. They're on a gazillion dollar starship loaded with artificial intelligence, preparing to go to the ends of the galaxy and beyond.

Yoeman Rand needs the Captain's approval for something. She hands him a clipboard and a pencil.

Did Roddenberry not think of tablets? Or did he think of them and decide they were stupid? :smileyhappy:

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

akaCat wrote:

Derwin wrote:

Did we even dream of having devices capable of all they do back 50 years ago..... 20 years ago.... or even 10 years ago?

I know I read about devices quite similar to my NC, iPad and/or android phone in scifi books at least 30 years ago.

I blame that for my tendancy to stare at one of my gadgets all starry-eyed and launch into a "uphill in the snow both ways" speech to my younger friends. :smileyvery-happy:

One word:   punchcards.  Or is that two?  How about punched paper tape? 

Now get off my lawn!

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

MattFL wrote:

The pilot episode of Star Trek, the black and white one with Christopher Pike instead of James T. Kirk. They're on a gazillion dollar starship loaded with artificial intelligence, preparing to go to the ends of the galaxy and beyond.

Yoeman Rand needs the Captain's approval for something. She hands him a clipboard and a pencil.

Did Roddenberry not think of tablets? Or did he think of them and decide they were stupid? :smileyhappy:

they did have something similar to a flash drive when you see all those cards being slipped in and out of the computer slots. Now flash drives are all the rage now coming all sorts of size and flavors.

"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

I don't understand why flash drives are popular.

Sneakernet is sneakernet, even if the drive is better than it was before.

akaCat
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

One word:   punchcards.  Or is that two?  How about punched paper tape? 

Now get off my lawn!

Ah, paper tape, you've got me with that one! I used punchcards in college, but the last time I saw punched paper tape I think I was about 12. (My dad would bring used spools/reels home for me to play with.)

DRV
Wordsmith
DRV
0 Kudos

akaCat wrote:

Ah, paper tape, you've got me with that one! I used punchcards in college, but the last time I saw punched paper tape I think I was about 12. (My dad would bring used spools/reels home for me to play with.)

Spools?  Hah, your dad had it good!  How about fan-folded paper tape fed into a DEC PDP 8.  It was supposed to register in an output hopper but often just skipped past and flung itself onto the lab floor.  It took a while to pick it all up (without damaging it, of course) and refold it for another run.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,249
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

EarthTiger13 wrote:
I think the biggest complainers either know nothing about programming or too much

Can you imagine the cries here if the update contains a significant bug???  The cries would be heard around the world!  I keep on my PC an older version of almost every software package I have, until I find that the newer version works OK in MY situation.  More than once, that has saved my bacon (I have a backup copy of v1.1 on my PC).

I rag on the "update zombies" too, but they are nothing compared to the "Apple zombies", who will stand in lines for hours (sometimes in bad weather) to get a brand new Apple product.  Then, they proudly show their iPhone/iPad/IWhatever to their friends and claim (in the case of the iPhone) that no other product has the same features, all without realizing that (for example) Windows Mobile smartphones had the same features, before the iPhone was released.

And then, after Apple drops the price in a few months, they whine.  Loudly, it seems.

If someone wants to buy an iPhone (or Kindle, or Galaxy Tab, or Motorola Xoom) because they have evaluated multiple products and like the look or features of their choice, that's fine.  But to stand in line on the first day, that's pathetic (and dumb, in my opinion).

Don't think for a moment that the manufacturers don't take advantage of (or even create) this attitude in consumers;  just look at the ads on TV.

Not only was the Motorola Xoom released with premature software, it wasn't even released with all the hardware!!!  I went to a Verizon store after initially checking out the Nook Color, and the sales rep told me that the hardware upgrade for 4G was not ready yet, but was a free upgrade (but I had to return the unit for about a week).  Obviously catering to the "Apple stand-in-line" crowd.  I did a PDF rendering test of the Xoom, using a large PDF file on the Internet, and after downloading, it took 100 seconds to render.  Repeatable.  It's much quicker than that on my two-year-old Motorola Droid.

So, the "Nook update zombies" are not nearly that bad (except for the few who are willing to cut off their nose to spite their face, by threatening to return their Nook if B&N doesn't do what they demand).  Still, I'm astonished at some of the posts here.

Besides, I have it on very good authority that it's the printing of thousands of updated PDF files that is holding up the release of the update ...

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

DrWho453 wrote:

MattFL wrote:

they did have something similar to a flash drive when you see all those cards being slipped in and out of the computer slots. Now flash drives are all the rage now coming all sorts of size and flavors.

They looked like car ciggerette lighters..:smileyvery-happy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

The Standing In Line was created by M$ back in the day when the new versions were put out and they would show Fools all over the world to get it first.  I still remember that idiot from Sweden or one of the other Scandinavia countries when Win95 or one of those version came out.  Like he had just won a gazillion dollars.  Back then I was using OS2/Warp and never got into the hype.

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88

Geez, I thought the "update" was a bonus. B@N doesn't "owe" me anything. Some people have such a sense of entitlement.......
DeanGibson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

03FLHT2 wrote:

....  Back then I was using OS2/Warp and never got into the hype.

I even had OS/2 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3 (all ugh) on a PS/2 model 95 ($11K).  4MB RAM, 430 MB SCSI disk.

When I got 2.0, I was impressed:  IBM had created shortcuts to each of about 200 installed programs and utlities.  I didn't like where the programs were installed by default, so I decided to move them to various folders to organize and categorize them better.  I knew that meant I would have to update all the shortcuts (like you would still have to do on Windows), but I decided it was worth it.

I was wrong.  OS/2 detected the movement of the programs, and automatically updated the shortcuts appropriately.

I later installed Linux on it, along with Win NT.  Would boot (using IBM's BootManager) MS-DOS (2 versions), OS/2, Win NT, and Linux.

Fifteen years later, the PS/2 finally went to the scrap heap, but the internal clock was still keeping time on the original "wafer" battery.

However, I still have a copy of OS/2 (Warp 4) on diskettes, along with a copy of "Microsoft Excel for OS/2".  I can make you a special deal on these ...

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

DeanGibson,   By the way I still have a Computer that runs a version of Warp4, called EComStation and they have recent version out.  Which never crashes and they do keep updating the Browser,  problem is the programs I need for work want install on it. :smileysad:     I need Software for PLC's to trouble shoot problems.   Gotta Blame Allen Bradley and Siemens for that.  

Inspired Contributor
KenW
0 Kudos

And I thought that my Sinclair ZX-81 with its 16K attachable extended memory was the cats meow. After all it did come with 2K of internal memory and you loaded programs into it from a tape-recorder, or you could type your basic program in one key stroke at a time. I just loved my thirteen inch black and white TV that served as the display. Now I hold in my hand a seven inch e-reader/ tablet that when Sinclair brought out his little computer was the in the realm of science-fiction. What will the next twenty to thirty years bring?

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

MattFL wrote:

Are you sure it was a pencil, and not a stylus and tablet?  I don't recall ever seeing what was written.

And remember, that was only for the humans.  No one ever passed information to Spock that way.  Spock just "reached out and touched you", and as I recall, the information transfer rate (in either direction) was much higher than even today's "Internet-2" speeds.

LGman
0 Kudos

DRV wrote:

akaCat wrote:

Spools?  Hah, your dad had it good!  How about fan-folded paper tape fed into a DEC PDP 8.  It was supposed to register in an output hopper but often just skipped past and flung itself onto the lab floor.  It took a while to pick it all up (without damaging it, of course) and refold it for another run.

Ahhh. The fanfold papertape. Yes, those were fun to re-fold after a mishap... Soon after I started work, they installed the 5 MB 14 inch platter hard drives.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
Contributor
affirmwealth
0 Kudos

I am one of those that are unrooted and I like my NookColor a lot as it is.

The only thing that is big deal for me is flash capability.  I use my Nook a lot for surfing the internet while laying in bed, and I'm dissatisfied with the way it plays Youtube videos.

Sometimes it plays, sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes I get an error message, then I go back to the page and try again and it plays.  But the image is blurry.

Also, so many websites use flash video, that there are just a lot of sites that won't load properly on the Nook.  

Finally, I want to play video games on my Nook.  Real video games...not necessarily Angry Birds (don't know what that is anyway, read about it on here), but online games like they have at GameHouse.com.  All the apps that came on the Nook, like the crossword puzzles, are boring.

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

It's great that BN is going to make the Nook into some sort of tablet. And it's going to be interesting to see what direction they go with this - they probably aren't sure yet themselves.

But you have to understand, saying "I want to play online games on my e-reader" is like saying "I want to be able to haul 2 yards of mulch in my Corvette. It has enough power, it has 4 wheels, all they have to do is make a few changes to really take advantage of the mulch-hauling capabilities it has locked up inside it."

What makes this possible, really, is the fact that the 7" tablet market is a dead man walking. It'll muddle along for a year or two, but people who want a real tablet and know what they are shopping for are mostly going to insist on a 10" from here on out. So small tablet price points will drop, fast, and that market will be for more specialized/limited devices. The question then becomes, can BN compete on price? $249 might be too high for a small tablet by Christmas. Can they lower their price and still at least break even?

Will they have to go to a 10" form factor to remain competitive, generate enough margin to make this worthwhile? And if they do that, what happens to the Nook as an e-reader? The Nook is perfectly sized for reading books right now. Less perfect for magazines. Is a more capable Nook going to be as good for reading books?

Honestly, I really don't like the direction a lot of people want this to go. The Nook is a great e-reader, and that's what we bought. Sacrificing that to get a cheap tablet is throwing the baby out with the bath water. I'd much prefer it if they kept the Nook limited (maybe not as limited as it is now, but still very limited) and let people who want more take advantage of how easy it is to roor Android. That way those of us who want a specialized device that's very good at one thing can still have it. Pushing BN into the tablet market is going to kill that.

Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

akaCat wrote:

Derwin wrote:

Yeah... I guess we seen "hints" of this on Star Trek about 40 years ago as well! It all starts with a dream, I guess.

Heck, we even seen Rocket-Belt devices in Buck Roger comic books decades before they became a reality with the invention by Wendell Moore at Bell Aerosystems back in the 1950's and 1960's.

Hmm. I think you might even find a couple books about this by yours truly if you searched. Unfortunately, the search would have to be at Amazon.com! lol

--------------------------

Reader 4
cayennepep

i bought my nook color in january. i bought it for what it could do at the time i bought it. read books both purchased and library plus read magazines in color. the fact that it could play games and music was just a bonus. i never bought it because of the fact that an upgrade was coming that would for the most part make it a tablet. the people who bought it with that reasoning and are pissed off because the update still isn't out should just get over it. the nook color was created to be an ereader. everything else is just icing on the cake like others have said. b&n really owes you nothing more than what you bought. to pout, constantly complain, and talk smack is just immature. if people are unhappy with what they have go buy a full blown tablet and move on.