Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
bswing
0 Kudos

What Nook should I get???

I am so confused! I have been trying to figure out what Nook to get. Is the color Nook better than the regular Nook wi fi? I just want to read and I would love to be able to get emails and rad blogs online. Is there a fee for going on the web if you use the wi fi?

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

Re: What Nook should I get???

NookColor.
Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Contributor
bswing
0 Kudos

why?

Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn
0 Kudos

I prefer reading books on my classic Nook but I do like my NookColor, as well.

If you want to go online to read blogs and check your e-mail, NookColor is better suited to your needs. Using the browser on the classic Nook is more difficult and it is clunkier. All Nooks only connect to the internet by wifi, and there is no fee unless you are somewhere they charge to let you on their network. I prefer the crispness of the fonts on the classic Nook and it is easier to read. It isn't difficult to read on the NookColor but I do prefer the other.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Honetly, if we have to tell you why the Nookcolor is the ereader to buy, then we would most likely be wasting our time.  Simply google and read the dozens of reviews that say Nookcolor is the way to go, then spend an hour reading what owners say on Amazon and here.  Declared best current ereader on market by several publications, CES (2011 consumer electronics show) Peoples Choice award winner.

Rather than go into the dozen or more reasons to buy Nookcolor over any other ereader out there, I prefer to simply share an observation.  On this forum, and another B&N friendly forum, as well as a mobile gadget forum, I have read dozens of posts by Kindle owners who have bought the Nookcolor and love the NC.  I don't recall reading of any Nookcolor owner swapping his NC or a Kindle.

Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

yocalif, you can add me to the list of Kindle owners that made the switch.  Don't get me wrong, the Kindle is a fine ereader but it just does not compare to the versatility of the Nookcolor. 

I love the color, the web browsing and the ability to borrow books from the library.

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

bswing, I like the NOOKcolor because it is built solid and I know that I have a quality eReader that I am holding in my hands.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

NookColor has the following features:

• acts as an mp3 player while reading or browsing the internet
  • acts as a photo album or digital photo frame, spectacular images and video
  • browse the internet to check online calendars, e-mail, devotionals
  • download documents from the internet
  • games
  • oh, and did anyone mention, you can read a book or other document anywhere, anytime?

i wish i could journal with it, but touch devices and my fingertips are really terrible with this.... but my rite-in-the-rain (R) field journal and a pencil are still the most dependable tool anywhere

ok, that's my humble opinion on the NookColor...

the neatest tech toy since the TI-99/4a home computer

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Distinguished Wordsmith
Grinchy1
0 Kudos

When I first saw the Nooks in Dec. the nook and color were side by side, it was easy to see the color was a much better one. Just having the color screen makes it a good deal. You can get the interent, listen to music, download documents, add your own pictures. If I had to do over again, it would still be the color hands down. I love mine. Had it since Christmas. It cost more, but it well worth the price!!!!

www.redbubble.com/people/grinch
Frequent Contributor
jermandpep

I wouldn't say the Nook Color is better, it just has a different feature set better suited to a different user than.

The Nook Color is better if you want a backlit screen for reading in the dark.

The Nook is better if you want an e-ink reader to provide a more paperlike reading experience.

The Nook Color is better if you want a color screen to view magazines and picture heavy content.

The Nook is better if looking at an LCD for hours on end hurts your eyes.

The Nook Color is better if you want the extra features provided by a more tablet like experience.

The Nook is better if you would rather just spend the extra $100 on more books.

A Honda Oddysey is better if you have to drive around 4 kids everyday.

A Honda Accord is better if you have to make a 50 mile commute everyday by yourself.

There are pros & cons to each, get the one that fits your individual needs and you will be happy.  If your goal is to use it for something it's not suited for you won't be happy.

Contributor
bswing
0 Kudos

Thanks! I finally went and bought the Nook Color. I have had it for less than 24 hours now and I am loving it!

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

bswing wrote:

Thanks! I finally went and bought the Nook Color. I have had it for less than 24 hours now and I am loving it!

Good for you. If you have any questions...just ask.

I think you will continue to love your new toy.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

So, why not pop down to your local Barnes & Noble, and get a hands-on test drive of the NOOKcolor and the B&N e-ink Nooks?   Then you can decide your yourself.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Correspondent
Mupples
0 Kudos

Yeah...touching it will make you want it. I have the Nook Classic and swore I wouldn't need/want a Nook Color. I touched it and now have the desire to possess one. Not the case for everyone but It's worth it to pop into a store a give it a feely feel.

Frequent Contributor
bikechuck
0 Kudos

My wife has a Nook Color (a Christmas present) and I have the Nook classic (a June 2010 birthday present).  The Nook Color is nice but I prefer the classic as an ereader for its longer battery life, ease of reading outdoors and lighter weight. 

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

I have both and love both of them for separate reasons. I do prefer the nookcolor boards, though. Much nicer people. It must be the amazing screen and the terrific web browser that makes everyone so happy.