Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
latinojim
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading now...

Nallia wrote:

latinojim wrote:

Currently Reading:

Hour Game by Balducci

Starless Night: The Legend of Drizzt by Salvatore

Recently read:

Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Split Second

The Legacy: The Legend of Drizzt

Future:

I'm pretty much up for anything. I'm a big fan of sci-fi, fantasy and suspense thrillers. Please feel free to make any recommendations.

Have you read these yet?

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles Series #1)

The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles Series #2)

The Way of Shadows (Night Angel Trilogy #1)

Shadow's Edge (Night Angel Trilogy #2)

Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel Trilogy #3)

Mistborn

The Well of Ascension (Mistborn Series #2)

The Hero of Ages (Mistborn Series #3)

I can give you a whole lot more recoomendations, but I don't knnow what you have and haven't read.  :smileyhappy:

Heard great things about the Kingkiller Chronicles Series. Will probably download those ASAP.

Haven't heard much about Sanderson and Weeks. Any comparisons? Storytelling style?

Thank you so much for the recommendations!

As far as what i've read in the past:

Most Dragonriders of Pern books

Shannara series

Lord of the Rings trilogy (fav)

Dark materials trilogy (fav)

Narnia books

Bunch of Star Trek (mostly TNG)

All Steven King Horror (even read his attempt at fantasy, didnt like it)

Necroscope series (wish they would make that into a movie)

Twilight (bought them for my daughter, wound up reading them... LOL)

Sookie vampire books (bought for my wife, wound up reading them also...)

Jason Bourne series

Have to check my library for more, i've read a lot more, the ones above are my favorite reads, most i've probably read more than once.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

latinojim wrote:

Nallia wrote:

latinojim wrote:

Currently Reading:

Hour Game by Balducci

Starless Night: The Legend of Drizzt by Salvatore

Recently read:

Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Split Second

The Legacy: The Legend of Drizzt

Future:

I'm pretty much up for anything. I'm a big fan of sci-fi, fantasy and suspense thrillers. Please feel free to make any recommendations.

Have you read these yet?

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles Series #1)

The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles Series #2)

The Way of Shadows (Night Angel Trilogy #1)

Shadow's Edge (Night Angel Trilogy #2)

Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel Trilogy #3)

Mistborn

The Well of Ascension (Mistborn Series #2)

The Hero of Ages (Mistborn Series #3)

I can give you a whole lot more recoomendations, but I don't knnow what you have and haven't read.  :smileyhappy:

Heard great things about the Kingkiller Chronicles Series. Will probably download those ASAP.

Haven't heard much about Sanderson and Weeks. Any comparisons? Storytelling style?

Thank you so much for the recommendations!

As far as what i've read in the past:

Most Dragonriders of Pern books

Shannara series

Lord of the Rings trilogy (fav)

Dark materials trilogy (fav)

Narnia books

Bunch of Star Trek (mostly TNG)

All Steven King Horror (even read his attempt at fantasy, didnt like it)

Necroscope series (wish they would make that into a movie)

Twilight (bought them for my daughter, wound up reading them... LOL)

Sookie vampire books (bought for my wife, wound up reading them also...)

Jason Bourne series

Have to check my library for more, i've read a lot more, the ones above are my favorite reads, most i've probably read more than once.

I think with your preferences you would like all of the books I posted.  Brandon Sanderson is the author who took over the Wheel of Time series after robert Jordan died.  He is doing an amazing job on it.  His Mistborn series is extremely well written and popular, and the first book in his new series, The Way of Kings, was an immediate bestseller.

A lot of people compare Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy to George R. R. Martin's writing.  I can see the comparison, but Weeks' writing isn't as drawn out with the descriptions and huge cast of characters.  The main character in this trilogy definitely does not fit the typical "good guy" archetype since he is an assassin.

Inspired Contributor
Azilla
0 Kudos

Going to re-read fountainhead soon, but I got Batman Year one storyline of comics and Spiermans Maximum Carnage storylines I am reading....yay for comics :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
Chubby8055
0 Kudos

Now reading:

Cover Image

Forgotten Realms by R. A. Salvatore NOOKbook (eBook) Added: 04/11/2
For the 3rd time :smileyhappy: but first time on my NC!!Chubbs

Reader 4
RebelSwampFox
0 Kudos

I just finished -  "Midnight Sun Partial Draft" by: Stephenie Meyer and "Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart" by: Jane Lindskold

Currently reading -  "The Last Key "by: Rob Steiner  and "Have His Carcase" by: Dorothy L. Sayers

Next up is -  I'm going to reread both -  "A Princess of Mars" by: Edgar Rice Burroughs and  

"Dark Prince" by: Christine Feehan

Distinguished Correspondent
Ohbjuan
0 Kudos

Just finished 'Ghost Country' by Patrick Lee

I am currently reading 'The Kill Artist' by Daniel Silva

Not sure what is gonna be next ...

Frequent Contributor
PepSnickerMint
0 Kudos

I've been reading The Women's Murder Club series by James Patterson, I'm on The 8th Confession.

Inspired Contributor
Terry27AZ
0 Kudos

Just finished Eleven on Top by Janet Evanovich Currently reading The Harlequin by Laurel K Hamilton Going after Dark Prince by Christine Feehan Next!
Correspondent
NatashaC
0 Kudos

The Chosen  

Its pretty good so far.....First time reading this author.

Live each day to the fullest because tomorrow is not promised!
Contributor
threadtales
0 Kudos

Wow! Lots of Sci-fi and Fantasy readers! 

I tend toward historical fiction (Edward Rutheford, William Martin) chick lit (Elizabeth Berg, Dorothea Betton Frank, etc), southern fiction (Fannie Flagg, Clyde Edgerton, Pat Conroy), light mystery, old gothic (du Maurier)

Biographies, and non-fiction that catches my eye - Freakinomics, What the Dog Saw...

And I really enjoy some of the young adult fiction that has been published in the last ten years. The Watson's Go to Birmingham by Christopher Curtis...

Okay, gotta stop...this could go on and on...I guess I just like to READ! 

Inspired Contributor
Champagne_Girl
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

1) What you finished last...

I finished "The Help" (Kathryn Stockett) last night. Loved it right up to the end--and then didn't.  I thought the ending was weak.

2) What you are reading right now (books, guys! not surfing)

"The Wrong War: Grit, Strategy and the Way Out of Afghanistan" by Bing West

3) What is the next book in your "stack"?

I'm looking for inspiration in this thread. BN isn't doing a great job with their "Books We Think You'll Love" section. I wish there was a way to customize this. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Mostly these forums....I did start "Badass" . A humorous history of mythical figures and Gods

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Badass/Ben-Thompson/e/9780062074942

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Frequent Contributor
apachedug
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

For some reason, I've been on a "female celebrity" kick lately since getting my Nook Color--I've been buying (and really enjoying) these autobiographies I normally wouldn't have considered before, now they're like 'closet reads'.

Melissa Gilbert - "Prarie Tale"

Maureen McCormick - "Here's the Story"  

Mackenzie Phillps - "High on Arrival"

Barbara Eden - "Jeannie Out of the Bottle"

Maureen (Marcia Brady's) book surprised me most of all--I had no idea she came from such a poor, dysfunctional family.  Barbara's book was pretty heartbreaking in places, losing both her sons--but Mackenzie's story just wore me out.  Most of these celebrities have that 'drug chapter' in their lives, but hers is just a nonstop cocaine/heroin/lsd/crack/heroin/lsd/cocaine-fest.  I simply cannot believe she swallowed, smoked & injected everything she claimed & lived to write about it.

Inspired Contributor
gogirlEH
0 Kudos

How was the peach keeper? Just finished sing you home. Pretty good.
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

apachedug wrote:

For some reason, I've been on a "female celebrity" kick lately since getting my Nook Color--I've been buying (and really enjoying) these autobiographies I normally wouldn't have considered before, now they're like 'closet reads'.

Melissa Gilbert - "Prarie Tale"

Maureen McCormick - "Here's the Story"  

Mackenzie Phillps - "High on Arrival"

Barbara Eden - "Jeannie Out of the Bottle"

Maureen (Marcia Brady's) book surprised me most of all--I had no idea she came from such a poor, dysfunctional family.  Barbara's book was pretty heartbreaking in places, losing both her sons--but Mackenzie's story just wore me out.  Most of these celebrities have that 'drug chapter' in their lives, but hers is just a nonstop cocaine/heroin/lsd/crack/heroin/lsd/cocaine-fest.  I simply cannot believe she swallowed, smoked & injected everything she claimed & lived to write about it.

You would probably be surprised at how much abuse the human body can take.

Later in life that abuse takes its toll...

I always say " If I knew I was gonna live this long I might have said no more often"  :smileywink:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Contributor
jintoku
0 Kudos

1) Volume one of the Ante Nicene Fathers Series, ending with Irenaeus

2) Dr. Thorne -- Vol. three of Trollopes Barchester Chronicles

3) Volume 2 of the Ante Nicene Fathers, starting with Shepherd of Hermas

“I am not the part of the universe I completely control, but the whole of the universe I influence in part.” — Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Inspired Correspondent
EarthTiger13
0 Kudos

Just finished: A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. It was slow for the first 150 pages but picked nicely. I enjoyed it. Currently reading: Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter by Seth Graham-Smith Altar of Bones by Philip Carter City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare The Thirteenth Unicorn by W. D. Newman I don't normally read more than one at aa time, but I've been a bit flighty book-wise lately. :smileywink: Next up: I have no clue. I refuse to make a decision until I finish the 4 above. :smileyvery-happy:
[singing] The wonderful thing about tiggers / Is tiggers are wonderful things / Their tops are made out of rubber / Their bottoms are made out of springs / They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy fun, fun, fun, fun, fun / But the most wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one / IIIII'm the only one! [growls] ~ Tigger
Reader 4
kismetfury
0 Kudos

The last book I finished was light reading... The Ex Games by Jennifer Echols... finished that one in 2 hours. I'm currently reading Reign of Shadows by Deborah Chester. I have over 300 books on my NC and about 100 of them on my new reading shelf :smileyhappy:

Ms Book Queen
Distinguished Wordsmith
1katie
0 Kudos

Good book.  Just recently found Sarah Addison Allen as an author.  This book reintroduces the waverelys only briefly from Garden Spells.  Very enjoyable. 

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Distinguished Wordsmith
1katie
0 Kudos

Reading now

Love You More (Detective D. D. Warren Series #5) 

Next up. 

206 Bones (Temperance Brennan Series #12) 

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.