Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

Re: What doesn't work (ie, bugs)

[ Edited ]

Knowledge70 wrote:

Current Bug.  App icons keep vanishing.  Have lost Angry Birds, and others appear and dissapear randomly. Nothing fixes (tried refresh, and Archive/UnArchive). Anyone else getting this?

Ditto for me.

Thanks so much for posting this. I'm very new to this, having bought the nook color yesterday and successfully updating it to software version 1.2.0. I then bought and installed Angry Birds. The app works fine but the icon changed after a few hours from the correct red bird to a bland gray rectangle with the nook "n" in the lower right hand corner. I've tried all that you've tried as well but can't get the red bird back.

I feel much better knowing that I'm not alone with this issue.

Distinguished Correspondent
JohnF76
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Video Playback of movies...there are multiple threads on this, one here, and others on XDA:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/VIDEO-UPDATE-1-2-FAIL/m-p/981754...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=13210403#post13210403

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1051028

What seems to be happening is that pre upgrade, you could encode videos at frame rates of 1000kbps or so. Now, if you encode above 512 kbps, you may get stutter and other issues. This may be an issue with some Youtube videos as well.

Distinguished Wordsmith
1katie
0 Kudos

Hey Folks just reading through these problems. 

I think it may be a good idea for now not to download too many apps at once.  Some can interfer with others.  Also, whether your using them or not, some apps run in the background constantly and drain the battery.  This happended with my Evo phone.  Skype killed my battery.  I used advanced task killer and this killed my 3G and I had to replace my phone.

For right now, I download one app at a time so if there are problems I know what is causing it. Right now only have Angry Birds, Grisly Manor, and Mahjong.  Email is set up with two accounts.  No problems yet. Nook not sluggish either.  Browser seems faster.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JohnF76 wrote:

What seems to be happening is that pre upgrade, you could encode videos at frame rates of 1000kbps or so. Now, if you encode above 512 kbps, you get stutter and other issues. This may be an issue with some Youtube videos as well.

It appears that this is not a universal problem. I have encoded several at 1000kbps (HandBrake) and they play as well in 1.2 as they did at 1.1. As have others. I feel bad for those having problems, but the fact is not everyone is.

Has anyone pinpointed why this is happening to some users and not others? To me, there must be another contributing factor involved (apps running in the background, app conflicts, encoder issues, etc.)

Distinguished Correspondent
JohnF76
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks, MaluhiaKana...I've edited my inital post to reflect the fact that some users aren't seeing this issue.

I do know that they've seen the same issue at XDA when using the B&N codecs for video, instead of the ones they are using (see the links). I do think you have a big point with running tasks in the background in the new stock upgrade.

I'll bet there were less background tasks in 1.1, so the nook seemed to respond better ("snappier" is used a lot to describe the difference between 1.1 and 1.2).