Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Re: What is lost when rooted?

I'm all about the cookies!

I need to get a new sd card and I shall be good to go.

Inspired Contributor
Champagne_Girl
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Jenniisme wrote:

I'm curious, does the nookcolor lose any of it's core features?

Aside from the apps, what does it actually gain?

If you change the OS, you lose ALL of the BN functionality. No newspapers, no magazines, no book shelves(just  to name a few) and these are not easily replaced by finding an Android App to do it. In fact, after hours of searching the Android marketplace I didn't find anything to replace those functions.

You cannot reset it using the 8 boot interrupt followed by a restart. You lose the warranty. I imagine (but don't know) that you also lose the "interactive" children's books available on BN. You can download the BN app, which works fine--but it's bare bones functionality wise. I changed my OS system and dearly wished I hadn't. I have access to Kindle books--BUT again, few if any magazines or newspapers are available for "mobiles" which is what you do when you change the internal OS. When I shut down my "rooted" Nook--the pop-up message says that I am turning off my phone.

Nootering didn't work for me, so I decided to "just do it" and change the internal OS so I could have access to the Android marketplace. It was a mistake--I found nothing at the Marketplace that could replace the great functionality of the NOOKColor.

Many people talk about rooting and nootering kind of inter-changebly. I think it would be helpful if a distinction was made between the 2. Nootering does not create internal changes--rooting does.

FOR ME, the original NC was the better product. There was nothing that I found on the Android Marketplace that made changing the OS a good choice for me.  Flash doesn't work on it--but even if it did, it would not have been worth giving up the functionality of the original stock NC.

If you are primarily a "reader" I think the NC is perfect. If you want to add other functions like calendars, contacts, gmail etc--ask yourself if having that available on your rooted nook will replace a device you already own (in my case the answer is "no"). Ask yourself if you will use it for games. If you really wouldn't use it for that, there is no reason (IMHO) to change a near perfect product.

I now own 2 NookColors---one that is a tablet that I don't need and a 2nd that I will never make an unauthorized change to. Losing the BN stock functionality wasn't worth gaining a tablet--so I bought a new NookColor yesterday. I hate the fact that I made a permanent change.

I also won't be "nootering" my new one. I love it just the way it is.

Inspired Correspondent
zenaxe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Champagne_Girl wrote:

Jenniisme wrote:

If you change the OS, you lose ALL of the BN functionality. No newspapers, no magazines, no book shelves(just  to name a few) and these are not easily replaced by finding an Android App to do it. In fact, after hours of searching the Android marketplace I didn't find anything to replace those functions.

Uh, no. The above is absolutely incorrect. You don't lose any of this stuff if you use the current rooting method, sounds like you boned your nook when you screwed around with the OS and botched it up yourself and you're clearly out of touch with the current state of rooting and bitter about the entire thing; which pretty much invalidates everything you say in the rest of your post. :smileyhappy:

Rooting only ADDs stuff on the current OS when the current method is applied.

I'd be willing to bet you're completely wrong about not being able to get your messed up nook back to stock, as well. The nook is nearly impossible to brick and your "rooted" nook sounds screwed up but functional. You could easily install ROM Manager and reload one of the stock roms for example.

Distinguished Correspondent
MadScntst

actually Nootering is rooting. instead of installing an new OS it installs a patched framework.jar so that you can access the market and have superuser/root rights. this allows to install applications. when nooter (which still roots your device) is done you still have access to the childrens books, the reader to me function, the magazines, the stock software, the storefront, etc. usually that is called using Stock rooter, which is what i have. you can always go back to stock Champagne_Girl. I am sorry you had so much problems but there are easy ways to go back to stock.

1. Get a microSD card.

2. Download the CWM recovery file http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=922870 that fits your SD card from here.

3 Burn that file using Win32DiskImager by downloading it here.

4. Download the stock image from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=945838 and copy it on to your now CWM SDcard.

Now you have a stock recovery card

5. also download from the first link the CWMuninstaller zip and place on your CWM card.

6. turn off your nook color and insert your CWM card into the nook color and reboot.

7. you now should be in clockwork recovery

8. install zip from sd card

9. choose zip from sdcard

10. choose the stock 1.1.0 zip

11. after that is done choose zip from sd card again and select the CWMuninstall

12. remove the card and reboot device

13. you are now back to stock.

try that Campagne_Girl and that should give you two full stock nooks not rooted. and if you get the bug to re-root one of them use autonooter from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=942424 and just follow the steps. believe me i have mine stock rooted and have not lost a single built in functionality that is there on the stock non rooted version.

and if you have any problems let me know. good luck.

dan

Tinkering with things best left untinkered......wait a second where does this thing go?
Inspired Contributor
jeffkww
0 Kudos

samCsc wrote:

The best of both world is to run Android off the sd card. I am running Gingerbread and still have a stock NC. That way you can have your cake and eat it.

So how do you switch between the two?

Do you lose settings when you switch?

Inspired Contributor
Champagne_Girl
0 Kudos

Dan~

Thank you so much for providing such a thoughtful and detailed response. I was trying to use auto-nooter and WinImage originally--but it just didn't work. I think it might be because I am running a 64-bit Windows 7 system--but WinImage just could not find the sdhc. Not being successful at "nootering"--I flashed a whole new ROM so I could have access to the Android Marketplace.

I don't think I need 2 stock NCs, so I think I'm going to keep the "NOOK Tablet" as it is and experiment with some other OS and Android apps. I don't need a tablet--but I think I can find a reason to love it. I just wouldn't choose the "NOOK Tablet" over the NOOKColor eReader, if I had to make a choice between the 2. Some other folks might prefer it as a tablet--but I bought it to be an eReader and I should have left it at that. I was dumb. I should have asked myself more questions before making that change.

Now, I have the best of both worlds--a tablet I can afford to tinker with--and a NC that I can get my preferred user experience with. I'm definitely going to keep your post--just in case my future forays on the dark-side don't work out.:smileywink:

Thanks again for being so helpful. Do you hang out much on the XDA board?

Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

For anyone using autonooter......for some reason the winimage does not seem to work.

Use the alternate....works every time!

Windows Alternative: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
MadScntst
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

champagne_girl, glad you have a positive outlook there is always a silver lining. look at me a walking cliche. :smileywink: i do hope your forays into the dark side work. once you go there you find that the hum drum light side is so well constricting. and honestly the best part about the nook color is its impossible to screw up. the first time i played with it i promptly deleted my boot partion. let me tell you that is a quick way to royally screw up your device. but after about a day of hard work reading and reading and reading. bam i was back. for about 3 hours then i did something else and screwed it up again. but i fixed that and tinkered and tweaked. i would love to have a second one like you have. i have to same i am quite jealous! becuase i have my rooted stock, which i love, but would love to have another one to load up the Nookie Comb which is a hybrid beast of ROM that includes froyo but design elements of honeycomb and the designer behind it is trying to give froyo that honeycomb tablet experience. it looks absolutely sick. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1016115 so see i am totally jealous.

yes i am an xda, ahem stalker. i try not to post unless i can help someone or have a legitatimate question. so I think i have posted more times here then i have over at xda, but i have read and read and read. that way i dont waste people's time with questions already asked. i am kind of a shadow member. what started my addiction though was a Dell Axim x50v. then I moved onto smart phones and have become totally and utterly devoid of all rescue with the nook tablet :smileyvery-happy:

edit: oh yeah and i am on windows 7 64bit and win32diskimager worked for me. so who knows it could be the magic of the interwebz changing and warping reality similar to how LSpace works.

Tinkering with things best left untinkered......wait a second where does this thing go?
dgiznya

What do you lose??

Time to read the books because your foolin around too much.

DG

Someone once said "Ignorance is Bliss".
I have no idea if this is true, but I sure am happy!
Inspired Contributor
Champagne_Girl
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

zenaxe wrote:

Champagne_Girl wrote:

Jenniisme wrote:

Uh, no. The above is absolutely incorrect. You don't lose any of this stuff if you use the current rooting methodThe problem is that so many posters act as though their individual experiences are universal experiences.

Rooting only ADDs stuff on the current OS when the current method is applied.

I'd be willing to bet you're completely wrong about not being able to get your messed up nook back to stock, as well. The nook is nearly impossible to brick and your "rooted" nook sounds screwed up but functional. You could easily install ROM Manager and reload one of the stock roms for example.

Ignoring the irrelevant portions of your post, I didn't "brick" my NC and never said that I did. What I said was, FOR ME (and my primary uses), the stock NC is a better product straight out of the box. Yes, I changed the internal OS--it works like a charm. I can get most every application available from the Android Marketplace. Flash 10.2 isn't supported by Froyo 2.2.1 yet. I don't know if it ever will be. I cannot get bookshelves, magazines or magazines. I lost those functions by changing the OS. Froyo does not ALWAYS and may not EVER support bookshelves, magazines and newspapers. If those functions are important to someone, they should not change the BN stock OS.

Many nootering instructions are writen for 32-bit WindowsXP operating systems. I don't have a 32-bit WindowsXP OS. I have a 64-bit Windows 7. Has it occurred to you that this might make a difference when someone is attempting to "nooter"? The fact that I chose to change the OS was my choice. I knew I could do it.  I didn't, however, take the next logical step and ask myself "why" I would want to or what I would "lose," which is what the original poster asked.

The problem is that so many posters act as though their individual experiences are universal experiences. We have many posters saying how great "rooting" is. I, for one, am saying that the stock NC is a great product for people whose primary goal is to use the NC as an eReader. The fact that they can use it as a tablet doesn't mean that they need to spend the time figuring out how to nooter it. Also, it is my (unique) experience that Android has a pretty significant learning curve. That people can access the Android marketplace doesn't mean they'll know what to do with it after they get there.

People should know that "nootering" may be easy--but just as things can go sideways on any computer, it can go sideways on an NC. I didn't fully consider the ramifications of making the change I did (which was not "nootering" but actually changing the internal OS). While it may be "unlikely" that anyone will brick their device--there are enough posts on the XDA board to know that many people have suffered heartburn trying to get back to stock after rooting. Their NC may not become a doorstop--but it is certainly possible to lose time, patience, and yes, a little sanity trying to recover from an action with unexpected/unintended consequences..

I have a fully functioning tablet--that I didn't need. It's really as simple as that.

Inspired Contributor
Champagne_Girl
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MadScntst wrote:

champagne_girl, glad you have a positive outlook there is always a silver lining. look at me a walking cliche. :smileywink: i do hope your forays into the dark side work. once you go there you find that the hum drum light side is so well constricting. and honestly the best part about the nook color is its impossible to screw up. the first time i played with it i promptly deleted my boot partion. let me tell you that is a quick way to royally screw up your device. but after about a day of hard work reading and reading and reading. bam i was back. for about 3 hours then i did something else and screwed it up again. but i fixed that and tinkered and tweaked. i would love to have a second one like you have. i have to same i am quite jealous! becuase i have my rooted stock, which i love, but would love to have another one to load up the Nookie Comb which is a hybrid beast of ROM that includes froyo but design elements of honeycomb and the designer behind it is trying to give froyo that honeycomb tablet experience. it looks absolutely sick. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1016115 so see i am totally jealous.

yes i am an xda, ahem stalker. i try not to post unless i can help someone or have a legitatimate question. so I think i have posted more times here then i have over at xda, but i have read and read and read. that way i dont waste people's time with questions already asked. i am kind of a shadow member. what started my addiction though was a Dell Axim x50v. then I moved onto smart phones and have become totally and utterly devoid of all rescue with the nook tablet :smileyvery-happy:

edit: oh yeah and i am on windows 7 64bit and win32diskimager worked for me. so who knows it could be the magic of the interwebz changing and warping reality similar to how LSpace works.

Without totally hijacking this thread--your experiences made me laugh out loud. I have had those kinds of experiences myself. The feeling that comes from "being smarter than your device" is thrilling. :smileytongue: When I thought I might be the very first person to "brick" an NC--I was just this side of devastated. Nah--I was devastated. Truly, heartbreakingly, devastated. 

I had the fully functioning tablet--but I didn't have the NC user experience I wanted. I wanted to go back to "stock" so bad I can't tell you. Then I went and visited the XDA board, read a bunch of wiki-pages and just decided I'd rather have a tablet than a bricked NC. I couldn't verify anywhere that someone had been successful at unrooting their device using a 64-bit computer. That was Sunday. By Monday (yesterday), I decided that I could tinker with the tablet and still have the reading experience that I love, which brought me to buying a 2nd NC. Now, if I brick the first one, I'll be able to announce (with great fanfare) that I have succeeded where all others have failed. :smileywink:

I'm so glad you posted your trials and tribulations with tinkering with your NC.  I think it's important to let people know that while the benefits of rooting are many--they should first ask themselves if they understood what you wrote--because they may find themselves with a similar experience before they get to where they thought they wanted to go. If your story was "greek" to them--they may be missing the "geek" gene needed to fix it.

I have an HTC phone that would have been history long ago if it hadn't been for the XDA board. Now I've got it tweaked so that it does everything I want it to--and no future phone will ever be as good :smileywink: That's the same way I wanted to feel about my NC after I rooted it. The big difference was I hated my phone before I fixed it--but loved my NC right out of the box.

Thanks again for your help and encouragement. I stalk the XDA board too. Some of those guys are genius.

MadScntst
0 Kudos

oh i am all about hijacking. i am hyper today which means that i dont care i just want to talk. thanks i think it is hilarious that i screwed up but i always find that when i mess up i learn so much more then if i did it right the first time. i think my brain is wired to mess up, like if i dont do it wrong then i might as well not do it at all. :smileyvery-happy:.

yeah those fools at xda rocks some massive socks. i envy them and if i had time i would try to emulate them. i mean how cool would it be to build your own ROM and pick it apart and put it back together. maybe in a configuration that someone hasnt thought about yet. or its more like i want to be in the cool devs club. like yeah everyone knows my crazy xda screen name. thanks right.

have fun stalking...you stalker!

Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

When I first tried rooting my NC, I went with the Froyo SD card so that I would not screw up the internal ROM image. I had followed the link to get the win32diskimager program and found two versions. The latest version 20 and the previous version r15.

Of course I went with the latest and greatest version and when I tried to extract the image to the SD card, it kept telling me that I did not have enough room on the card to do this. I thought it was because I was using a 2gb card. I figured I didn't need a larger card but got a 4gb card anyway. It still said that i did not have enough room on the card so I figured the problem was with the imager.

I downloaded the r15 version and it worked like a champ. I used that same one to put the autonooter on the 2gb card and rooted my nook color with it and still have froyo on the 4gb card for now.

I still have everything that I had before I rooted plus the apps market. I downloaded the titianum backup and have used it to back up the bookmarks from the browser. I also have dropbox installed, I have both Zeam and Launcher pro installed, as well as perfect task switcher.

"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

The main msg I hope new members get from this thread is that even though many have rooted with few glitches it is still a task NOT taken lightly. For every 2 "Its easy, took 30 mins" post there is a " Help, I can't figure this out" post. Next, ask why you think you NEED to root. What are you getting for your potential agrevation. Nothing wrong with either choice. Just go in with your eyes open. As always. JMHO. :smileyhappy:
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Correspondent
RodneyJT
0 Kudos

I've been the IT guy officially and unofficially for a while now. My first try at doing the autonooter failed at getting it on the sd card. I have 64bit win 7 so occasionally i have weird experiences of things not working though they should. So if i think its a 'safe' program i right click and run as administrator. Suddenly things are all good. So then i actually root. Appears not to work and i have a mini freakout. So i remove all cards and restart. "Have you tried turning it off and on again." Lo and behold it worked. Missed steps failed on steps. No its not as straight forward as it seems. But its like all tech. When it works it works and when it doesn't who knows. Such is tech. For a math based industry its most unpredictable. Such is tech.
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

Meh.

Cookies.  We has them.

:smileyvery-happy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Contributor
Champagne_Girl
0 Kudos

MadScntst wrote:

oh i am all about hijacking. i am hyper today which means that i dont care i just want to talk. thanks i think it is hilarious that i screwed up but i always find that when i mess up i learn so much more then if i did it right the first time. i think my brain is wired to mess up, like if i dont do it wrong then i might as well not do it at all. :smileyvery-happy:.

yeah those fools at xda rocks some massive socks. i envy them and if i had time i would try to emulate them. i mean how cool would it be to build your own ROM and pick it apart and put it back together. maybe in a configuration that someone hasnt thought about yet. or its more like i want to be in the cool devs club. like yeah everyone knows my crazy xda screen name. thanks right.

have fun stalking...you stalker!

I feel the EXACT same way about screwing up--I just like to limit it to screwing up things that I don't care about. :smileysurprised:

This is the first time I've ever feared screwing up something that I wasn't already prepared to replace. My NC was less than 60 days old--so it wasn't like it was already out of warranty and I was looking to buy something new if I didn't figure it out before I lost interest.

I think what upset me most about my impulsive decision to tweak the NC--was that I'd already decided not to buy an iPad because I knew I didn't want/need a tablet.  I think, more than anything, I decided to flash a new ROM because I was frustrated about not being able to nooter it. I'd read enough to know that I could recover from nootering fairly easily--but I didn't investigate far enough to know that going back to stock after changing the internal OS might be a challenge that I wasn't quite up to. Digging deep into the threads, I saw things by the XDA developers that cautioned against "rooting" because what they were doing was an experiment. Right there in black and white, people who had written the ROMs were saying not to use them unless you REALLY knew what you were doing (compared to I "think" I know what I'm doing). I guess I just expected to wander into XDA if I had a problem and find some cab file that would fix it. Instead, I was greeted by gibberish (to me) and warnings and cautions against doing what I had already done. <sigh>

After I tear myself away from this board and finish all my accumulated reading material--I know I'll be tweaking the spare NC--figuring that I have nothing to lose. :smileywink: I still wouldn't do it again if I'd known then what I know now. At the very least, I wouldn't have done it until I was already out of warranty.

Good getting to know you a bit. I may see you later on the dark side.

Inspired Contributor
Champagne_Girl
0 Kudos

RodneyJT wrote:
I've been the IT guy officially and unofficially for a while now. My first try at doing the autonooter failed at getting it on the sd card. I have 64bit win 7 so occasionally i have weird experiences of things not working though they should. So if i think its a 'safe' program i right click and run as administrator. Suddenly things are all good. So then i actually root. Appears not to work and i have a mini freakout. So i remove all cards and restart. "Have you tried turning it off and on again." Lo and behold it worked. Missed steps failed on steps. No its not as straight forward as it seems. But its like all tech. When it works it works and when it doesn't who knows. Such is tech. For a math based industry its most unpredictable. Such is tech.

I've certainly experienced the same issues with my 64-bit Windows7. That's what I find frustrating when it sounds like rooting is just a matter of following clear instructions. Besides differing computer OS, things can work differently depending on size, manufacturer, and class of the sdhc and probably a whole host of things that we haven't even touched on. What may work for "most" doesn't work for all and I think some lose sight of that. It may be near impossible to brick the thing--but there's still plenty of room for screwing it up.:smileysad:

Such is tech...

MadScntst
0 Kudos

Its good getting to know you and you secret XDA shame as well. Yeah I agree on the not screwing up important things but luckily you can always get a redo with the nookcolor which took me 48hrs of sheer panic to figure that out. And as riffraff said we have cookies including my secret sour cream cookies. And remember I will be the one constantly being caught with my hand in the dark side cookie jar! ?;-)
Contributor
Radula
0 Kudos

Just my two cents:

I rooted my nc using autonooter 3.0 and ended up changing it back to factory.

I enjoyed some of the aspects of the rooted nook and did not lose any functionality of the original. Some of the apps worked like a charm, but I found many (at least half) did not work as intended. The most common problem was just closing out of the blue in the middle of using them (something called a Forced Close apparently - or FC for short)

I especially liked getting email notifications from google mail and being able to sync my mail and calendar.  I also liked the ability to try out different browsers, and keyboards, and the Zeam launcher was quite nice.

I did experience some problems with poor screen sensitivity at times, and poor battery life when compared to the non-rooted NC. The biggest issue for me was when actually powering down the NC after rooted, it took forever for it to come back on. Sometimes hours.  It was frustrating ... I would try to turn it on and the screen would flicker and then ... nothing... I would just leave it and eventually come back to find it back on. Ultimately it totally refused to come back on so I removed the sd card and reset it back to factory settings and it works like a charm again. 

I may try rooting again .. but will probably just wait and see what the impending update has in store for us first.

Happy Nooking.

Fiction is the truth inside the lie.
Stephen King