Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

Re: What is lost when rooted?

@Radula, when you say that you powered it down....did you mean you shut it completely off and just not let it go to sleep?

You also said you removed the sd card.  Did you reformat the sd card after you orginally rooted or did you just leave it in.  If you reformated then taking the sd card out would have nothing to do with it.

If you did not reformat the sc card, then every time you turned your NC back on,,,,it would reboot itself and that would explain the lenght of time it would take the NC to come back on.

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

Radula wrote:

Just my two cents:

The biggest issue for me was when actually powering down the NC after rooted, it took forever for it to come back on. Sometimes hours.  It was frustrating ... I would try to turn it on and the screen would flicker and then ... nothing... I would just leave it and eventually come back to find it back on. Ultimately it totally refused to come back on so I removed the sd card and reset it back to factory settings and it works like a charm again. 

Never heard that before. Hours? I wonder what was up with that.

You have to remember that the vast majority of apps out today were written and optimized for phones. Some work great on the NC, others not so much.

Inspired Contributor
Champagne_Girl
0 Kudos

MadScntst wrote:
Its good getting to know you and you secret XDA shame as well. Yeah I agree on the not screwing up important things but luckily you can always get a redo with the nookcolor which took me 48hrs of sheer panic to figure that out. And as riffraff said we have cookies including my secret sour cream cookies. And remember I will be the one constantly being caught with my hand in the dark side cookie jar! ?;-)

WOW!! I've become soft. I was furious with myself for about 36 hours--but only in a panic for 6-8.  I don't think I (or my family) could have survived my sheer panic for 48 hours, That's why I decided to just buy another one. Now I can tinker without panic on one and have the reading experience I want on the other.

Yep--best of both world.  And your secret sour cream cookies....:smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
Illuminating
0 Kudos

Can anyone confirm if the Read in Store feature is actually lost after rooting?

I visited my local BN store for the first time yesterday since rooting and although I connected to the insotre network, saw the ebooks with the Read in Store feature, when clicking on the RiS button I got the verbiage and Cancel/Read buttons, but the Read button was disabled.

Just wondered if this was disabled because of rooting, or something else?

Clint

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

Illuminating wrote:

Can anyone confirm if the Read in Store feature is actually lost after rooting?

I visited my local BN store for the first time yesterday since rooting and although I connected to the insotre network, saw the ebooks with the Read in Store feature, when clicking on the RiS button I got the verbiage and Cancel/Read buttons, but the Read button was disabled.

Just wondered if this was disabled because of rooting, or something else?

Clint

If you used autonooter then the feature should not be lost. I tried it myself this past weekend (though there weren't many read in store books available). If you rooted a different way, I don't know.

Distinguished Correspondent
MadScntst
0 Kudos

well my panic was broken up into two 24hr time periods following the first and second attempts i made at bricking my device. I was angry at myself in the beginning but I am too lovable to stay mad at so that quickly went away. then i used the anxiety to spur on my knowledge learning process and keep the freaking out period to maxium. hey what can i say I am crazy and have learned to use my craziness to my advantage. and yes i would say you have become soft. 6-8 hours, then purchasing another one....weak sauce my friend weak sauce. I dont know if you are ready for the darkside just yet. lol just kidding the dark side welcomes all levels well as long as lord and master riffraff allows it or phoneboy or nallia or mark_ob1 or another of the other masters of the forumverse who are lords of the darkside bequethment (is that even word?). well i do know that no power in the rooting verse will stop them.

Tinkering with things best left untinkered......wait a second where does this thing go?
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

MadScntst wrote:

well my panic was broken up into two 24hr time periods following the first and second attempts i made at bricking my device. I was angry at myself in the beginning but I am too lovable to stay mad at so that quickly went away. then i used the anxiety to spur on my knowledge learning process and keep the freaking out period to maxium. hey what can i say I am crazy and have learned to use my craziness to my advantage. and yes i would say you have become soft. 6-8 hours, then purchasing another one....weak sauce my friend weak sauce. I dont know if you are ready for the darkside just yet. lol just kidding the dark side welcomes all levels well as long as lord and master riffraff allows it or phoneboy or nallia or mark_ob1 or another of the other masters of the forumverse who are lords of the darkside bequethment (is that even word?). well i do know that no power in the rooting verse will stop them.

Hey!  A Browncoat!

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
MadScntst
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

Hey!  A Browncoat!

Nice riffraff! and yes, yes I am.

Tinkering with things best left untinkered......wait a second where does this thing go?
Contributor
Illuminating
0 Kudos

Yes, I'm autonootered. At the BN network at my local store wasn't very responsive I'd wondered if there were service issues. I'll try again. I'm fortunate, I expect to have 4 stores fairly local.

Thanks

Inspired Contributor
Champagne_Girl
0 Kudos

@madScntst--

Weak sauce indeed. Perhaps I could have another cookie while I relocate my mojo?:smileywink:

I'm trying to decide what I want to do next on the tablet--after reading your experience, I now know that mine wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Rather, I was terribly embarrassed to imagine I was the first to actually brick the device.

Now, I can see that it could be a fun challenge to undertake. Sick isn't it?

I would just warn others who are primarily "book readers" that the dark side, while a very friendly place, may require more technical expertise and fortitude than they want to possess.

MadScntst
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Champagne_Girl

well having my special cookies might give you too much mojo, they are packed with sugar, probably what makes them my favorite off all the cookies in all the world. they are frosted with icing as well so that doubles the sugar amount, sweet sweet sugar.

well i am glad that my mistakes and problems made you feel better. if it helps I make tons and tons of mistakes. see any mistake you make i can probably make one that is bigger, I am quite talented. and to be fair if someone has created a program that could potentially brick your device I am sure at a few points in development they have had that "Oh s@$* moment" so unless you are doing the coding you should never think you are the first, sorry. :smileytongue:

I dont see how undertaking challeneges is sick. i think they are fun and exciting, after all how do we know what we are made out of if we dont challenge ourselves (as I eat another donut, d'oh). I am proud of ya for taking it on, and messing up, and perserving.

true you are right that sometimes breaking into the techie sphere of rooting cant be daunting and scary, and things can go horribly horribly wrong. so i am not disagreeing with you at all, yours is a very valid point.

but I will always press that button. oh yes i will. you cant stop me. why make a button unless it is meant to be pressed. that is the purpose of the button and being unpressed means that button's purpose is not being fulfilled and its existence is not being ratified. and as a sensitive soul I just cant do that to that button.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

mariel9898 wrote:

Never heard that before. Hours? I wonder what was up with that.

Mariel,

dparrothead already explained that anomaly.  Radula stated:

> I rooted my nc using autonooter 3.0...

The biggest issue for me was when actually powering down the NC after rooted, it took forever for it to come back on. Sometimes hours.  It was frustrating ... I would try to turn it on and the screen would flicker and then ... nothing... I would just leave it and eventually come back to find it back on. Ultimately it totally refused to come back on so I removed the sd card. <

What Radula didn't realize was that while letting it sleep without removing the card was OK, shutting it down and rebooting it was NOT.  Every time he did that, he was re-rooting it again.  And again. 

The problem being that the scripts and sequences performed during the first rooting change things, and changing them again in additional passes is "not a good thing".  Slowly but surely he was trashing it worse every time he powered it back on.  :smileysurprised:  No wonder it eventually wouldn't turn back on at all.

He should have taken the card out immediately after autonootering the first time.   Then he would not have experienced the strange behavior he reported.

- Mark

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

Putting it more concisely, in mathematical terms, using the nooter transformation:

rooted = nooter (stock)

and

trash = nooter (nooter (rooted))

- Mark

Contributor
Radula
0 Kudos

What Radula didn't realize was that while letting it sleep without removing the card was OK, shutting it down and rebooting it was NOT.  Every time he did that, he was re-rooting it again.  And again. 

The problem being that the scripts and sequences performed during the first rooting change things, and changing them again in additional passes is "not a good thing".  Slowly but surely he was trashing it worse every time he powered it back on.  :smileysurprised:  No wonder it eventually wouldn't turn back on at all.

He should have taken the card out immediately after autonootering the first time.   Then he would not have experienced the strange behavior he reported.

- Mark

Thanks Mark and Parrothead ...

I see what went wrong now. Maybe I'll try again. I was under the impression that I needed to keep the "rooted" SD card installed in order to keep it rooted. So I can just remove the card after the initial root and then reformat it and re-insert it so I can utilize the extra storage and still have a rooted nook? 

Fiction is the truth inside the lie.
Stephen King
Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

Exactly!!!

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Frequent Contributor
justsayyes
0 Kudos

Thanks.  I wound up installing Zeam despite my laziness and rather like it.

TKoehler wrote:

Your are right, Justsayes...all those things still work with no problems if you do the autonooter rooting. You should download the home launcher called ZEAM...very easy to use, quick to find new apps...etc...from the sounds of other topics in here, most, including myself, used the ZEAM launcher...it is very easy to also toggle between the NC Home screen and Zeam, by just clicking the NC button, there u can choose between the two....

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

Radula wrote:

I see what went wrong now. Maybe I'll try again. I was under the impression that I needed to keep the "rooted" SD card installed in order to keep it rooted. So I can just remove the card after the initial root and then reformat it and re-insert it so I can utilize the extra storage and still have a rooted nook? 

I see what happened. The instructions and the video specifially say to take the card out and not to use it again without a reformat.

Contributor
rogerdugans
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

Hey!  A Browncoat!

MadScntst wrote:

Nice riffraff! and yes, yes I am.

Looks like a few of us here. :smileywink:

MadScntst
0 Kudos

I am like a leaf on the wind!