Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

Re: What kind of server maintenance resets a device?

Let's remember one thing: No actual Nooks were actually and permanently bricked during this debacle.

Correspondent
moogs
0 Kudos

A few weeks back, my autonootered nook completely reset itself after using wifi at a McDs. All books/files residing on the nook drive were lost but all android apps/sideloaded books/duped nook books remained as they resided on the sd card. Had to do a complete re-register. I escaped the last reset because wi-fi was off.

Correspondent
karen-atl
0 Kudos

So, is everything back to normal now? I turned my WiFi off as soon as I read about what was going on, and due to the storms/tornados here in the southeast last night, it's been off. I haven't turned it back on yet; is it safe to do? Has B & N rectified the problems yet?
Distinguished Correspondent
Allem-o

mwarthur wrote:

Thanks for nothing, Paul.

You sure his name wasn't "Peggy"??? :smileywink:

Distinguished Correspondent
peppyauntie121

Allem-o wrote:

mwarthur wrote:

Thanks for nothing, Paul.

You sure his name wasn't "Peggy"??? :smileywink:

I feel sorry for Paul/Peggy/etc...... Can you imagine what these guys went through knowing all they could tell the callers was the company line. One call after the other with irrate and frustrated NC owners... I wouldn't want their job! 

Correspondent
baby_chyll
0 Kudos

It's SKYNET's Fault!

Wits and Confidence are the building blocks of success. I so hate whining FAGS
Inspired Correspondent
zenaxe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

riffrafff wrote:

The mere fact that a remote reset has even been incorporated into these is troubling. 

Why, B&N?  Why would you do that? 

The only reason I haven't rooted this thing into a total Android tablet with no B&N apps at all is because of the magazines I subscribe to (no B&N magazine reader in the Android Market).  I'm going to wait and see what the reason/excuse for this fiasco is, and personally, if it's bogus, I'll just cancel those mag subscriptions and never look back.

+1.

FWIW, I've experienced remote resets repeatedly as noted in the "poll" thread. In my case it was due to an account authorization getting jacked up after trying to register multiple GMail addresses for sync (this was confirmed as a way to possibly trigger an erroneous remote reset in an XDA forums search after the fact). The device would say there was "an authorization problem" notify you that it was resetting and would reset itself instantly without any intervention from the user and there was no way to interrupt the reset.

It would reregister "properly" and then promptly reset again at the first access to any B&N online service with the same message. All my backup/restore methods failed to get it back: Nandroid/Titanium/etc. Nothing could fix it. I had to reset the device to stock 1.0 and start all over again (although once I got that done Titanium restored most of my apps (but no system data :smileywink: that'd just make it wipe again, I'm sure).

It REALLY felt like this was an insidous method to deal with an authorization problem, even if they are trying doing it for security reasons: to have all the internal data/apps wiped without my permission is almost unforgiveably stupid.

And this was CLEARLY a bug in their detection/reset method, there was nothing going on in terms of access to their products or services that was inappropriate. I'm spending like $10-$14 a mointh on just the magazines....

Anyway, a bug can obviously cause their security system to become confused and wipe your device against your will. It's pretty disconcerting that someone thought an autodetected wipe was somehow okay to build into the system or a good idea even if it was in the name of "security".

Someone protect me from "security".

Correspondent
baby_chyll
0 Kudos

As I've mentioned, SKYNET is already aware and is starting to reduce all things to rubble. If you are not a believer, BEWARE. 

Wits and Confidence are the building blocks of success. I so hate whining FAGS
New User
7momma77
0 Kudos

I was able to reset my NC by going thru the registering process again, and then when the error message popped up, it gave me 2 options- to power off- but there was another box in the lower left corner, I don't remember exactly what it said, something like device info? But anyway, I clicked it and then was given the choice to reset or power off. I chose reset. It totally worked! All my apps are there, I just had to re-install them. I checked the settings and the new version is still there- the 1.2 updated one. I am not real savvy with tech stuff, so I am quite proud of myself. I just wanted to share what worked for me!

Frequent Contributor
jbean00
0 Kudos

revkev313 wrote:

I understand your frustration, but come on to take an hour of your time to get so frustrated and worked up over something that's happening to thousands.  

Seems you could have shut off the device and taken a walk, spent time with friends or family, or something else that you may never be able to do again.

Did B & N do this just to ruin your day???? NO.  Technology breaks, needs to be tweaked, and countless other things I'm sure we have the foggiest idea about. 

So tired of people complaining abut every dang thing in the Universe when they're not even sure they be here in the next few hours.  Live now and stop wasting time on small concerns.

You might feel differently if your power had been out for 36+ hours due to tornadoes and your books are wiped out....