Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

What's really important-part2

Ok, lately this board has seemed really sorta hostile.  There was a lot of anticipation for the update, some realistic, some not.  Then when it came, a lot of people were not happy (as predicted) because the update didn't transform NCs into fully aware house robots.

It was often said before the update that those that were not looking mostly for an ereader instead of a tablet, would find the update less than thrilling and that others might find it perplexing.  Still others, that were happy enough, would remain happy, but get drowned out.

Then the app store (which by earlier reports was not going to be up and running at the same time the update came out) seemed to make people really mad.  With little regard for the truth of the matter and far less understanding of how prices are set, users accused BN of any number of things.  But, they have yet to come back on here and say they were wrong.  Angry Birds, if one wanted it, was a good deal, and app developers and not BN, set the prices for their apps.

Then came the reset, an admittedly big error somewhere along the way.  Was it an inconvenience?  Yes.  But is it the end of the world?  No.

Perspective is a funny thing.  As some may know I've had some real ups and downs with the health of my cat that I love dearly.  At this moment, God willing, she seems to be again on an upswing.  I had recently taken her to the vet for re-evaluation and that seemed to set her back to square one.  I am again trying to remain optimistic.

Beyond that and any personal upsets I may have is the thought that many in this country are and have been undergoing some very real life-altering events.  Storms have been battering much of the country and have been brutal in some areas in particular.  And they seem to be hitting every day for extended periods.  At this time, it might be important to remember these people and the real seriousness of their situations, the tragedies and minor triumphs alike.  Remedies can and will be found for problems that hit the things we have, but the people so affected by all of this are more important at this time.  God bless them all.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Correspondent
DeeV

Re: What's really important-part2

Well said Deemure!!! and i am soo sorry you are going through what you are going through. Will keep you in my prayers. I think everyones nerves have been a bit fizzled given all the points you have made. Up until a few days ago i was out of power for most of last week due to storms..now flooding continues in our area.  Then the NC situation that i paniced over and now trying to get everything redownloaded today and organized back the way i had it. Been real tired lately so got alittle grumpy today just some days are worse then others with my lupus and today was not a good one. Your right though in everything you said and i for one just need to step back and take a breath and realize what is really important. Just the NC is my little escape and i shouldn't let myself get my priorities mixed up and get all stressed out....then get grumpy over silly things. Thank you for the pep talk i think i for one really needed it.

Blessings and Angel Hugs

DeAnna

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Awesome_in_MO
0 Kudos

I could not have said it better...thanks!

Distinguished Wordsmith
1katie

Well put deemure.   How bout those storms down south.   WOW.  Can't even imagine.  Pretty lucky here in Phila, we don't often get extremes in weather. 

Saying a prayer for kitty.  Hope all is well.  Keep us posted.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Reader 2
EW_Nook

You are correct, there are more important things in life, but it was still annoying that many people's Nooks were erased and was unusable for pretty much a whole day. Although in the grand scheme of things, this may be a minor thing, it really doesn't excuse BN for messing up and not acknowledging this fact until many hours later. Companies also have to take responsibility for their actions and just saying it's not a big deal and letting them off the hook doesn't help them either. Feedback, both good and bad, is what helps improve products. The company I work for is much smaller than BN, but when we mess up, we take responsibility for it and make amends to our customers. That's how it should be done. BN barely acknowledged this problem and their official statement implied they immediately fixed the problem.

Also, in terms of developers setting prices for apps like Angry Birds, that would be correct in most cases, but Angry Birds (all versions) is free on the Android marketplace, so it really is BN setting the price. I have all versions on my Android phone and my Nook when using Android on a microSD card and haven't paid a cent for them. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

EW_Nook wrote:

Also, in terms of developers setting prices for apps like Angry Birds, that would be correct in most cases, but Angry Birds (all versions) is free on the Android marketplace, so it really is BN setting the price. I have all versions on my Android phone and my Nook when using Android on a microSD card and haven't paid a cent for them. 

Please read up on the version of Angry Birds offered here.  It's more like the ipad version (HD) than the android ones.  It is of little consequence in the scheme of things.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Correspondent
THE_Waldo

Thank you for being so awesome. Laurel for you.

Nook Color Shortcuts
(By ME!)

1. Add Caffeine
2. Add Internet
3. Stir profusely
4. ?????
5. PROFIT!!
Inspired Wordsmith
KidneyKid

Poor kitty. I will send good thoughts your way. I lost my cat of 20 years last june. Had her since I was 12. Get well soon kitty!!!
Contributor
kimbrly86

I bought the NC without knowing there would be an update with apps. It's an awesome e-reader and I love that I am able to shop for books at anytime (came in handy during a major snowstorm here in Illinois). Even better that I am able to borrow books from my library on it. The tablet features were just the icing on the cake:-) The app I most hoped for was Goodreads and B&N delivered:-) I like to be able to read reviews, see what my Goodreads friends were reading, and update my reading list right from my Nook. I tried The Grisly Manor game and think it's really cool...I'm not into playing games but the price was right and it was entertaining. The app I like the most is the Nook Friends app....it has great possibilities when the BETA version gets all of the bugs worked out. So far I have loaned 2 books out and am up to 36 friends so there are a variety of books to borrow from others. So far I'm very pleased with this device and was lucky enough to not be affected by the "outage." If I had, it wouldn't have been a big deal since they got everything back up and running in less than a day.

Kim

http://skeltonsbooktree.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
KenW

Deemure     elegantly said.

Inspired Contributor
MiloSW

[ Edited ]

deemure, I could't have said it better.

(Oops....got distracted when I was typing:smileyhappy:. Apparently I can't type and talk at the same time tonight)
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv

[ Edited ]

Good thread. I was one of those distressed passenagers stuck Dallas for 2 days due to tornados. Although I was safe, others were not so lucky. I finally made it back to Virginia and to more tornados.

So what's important to me....life.

p.s. silent prayers for kitty.