Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
gsweely
0 Kudos

Re: What the 1.3 update says about the future

I can't image B&N discontinuing the Nook and NookColor.  These are key to their book selling business which unfortunately is becoming electronic and internet based over brick and mortar stores.  The Nook is just another way to capture readers willing to buy "books".    The idea that B&N isn't attempting to compete in the tablet business means they are going to drop book readers makes no sense.  7" tablets are mostly focused on book / document reading with a little functionality for minor internet browsing, and in near future Video phones.  Tablets are mostly going to become generic PC replacements for most people.  Especially with the aging population that can't easily use the newer complex smaller phones (to small so hard to read and type with) and simpler to use interface for most functions.  I find most aging people are feeling the PC is to complex and costly to use and manage.  Some people will just buy a standard tablet and run book reading software on it.  But I believe there will always be a market for a smaller reading device with internet browsing functionality. 

I like the Nook Color just the way it is.  Keep it the size it is and just do minor tweeks to improve its internet browsing functionality to keep its price down, half the cost of 10inch tablet.  Perhaps add Verizon/ATT wireless connectivity that can be turned on/off.  Perhaps add camera and Video Phone over skype type functionality.  But price under $250, size point and 24 hour battery life are critical.  Many people keep looking for NC to be low cost iPad.  Instead B&N should focus on maintaining capability of nook reader SW for larger tablets for times staff what that.  iPad type features require 10" screen space.  I want a small, lean, mean book reader that keeps its long battery life and is easy to carry around.  I may still use a tablet as my portable laptop PC replacement, but there are times I don't want to deal with lugging around something larger in size nor looking for power outlet for 10-12 hours of use over long holiday weekends.

Holder of life's abstracts.
Frequent Contributor
Tyleen
0 Kudos

doncr wrote:

Not being able to remove that cookbook sample really ticked a number of us off and we were very vocal about it.  

I wish you luck getting the attention of BN regarding ePub landscape mode (it's a dumb oversight), but I don't think this missing capability bugs nearly as many people as the cookbook obviously did.

I wondered the same thing yesterday about landscape mode vs. permanent sample as the hot topic.  I had some free time during lunch on Tuesday and here were the post counts from the Nook and Nook Color boards:

In the last 12 months 291 posts concerned reading in landscape. This is just from the summary that show up in search, my lunch hour wasn't long enough to check if it was for, against, or just giving info about it.  I didn't count posts that were about stands, wallpaper, gardening or gaming apps. I did count any post that was about landscape reading epub or PDF with or without app assistance.  83 were from Roustabout, and another 42 were from the same 3 people.

In the 4 months the sample cookbook became an issue there was 94 posts. Didn't see any authors that posted more then 10 times in this category.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

94 posts about the cookbook? 

This thread had 97 replies:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/Delete-sample-cookbook/m-p/9883...

And this one went on for about 73

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/Hope-BN-chokes-on-their-cookboo...

And I  don't think that includes the poster who claims to have called the FTC to complain. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Correspondent
japerry
0 Kudos

I have one of these covers but never use it due to the lack of landscape mode. I don't really miss it but it was this particular photo that cause me to lay out the bucks for the cover. Even if B&N never implements landscape mode they should at least clean up thier website and remove the mis-leading ads and photos.

Owner of a Nook Color and a Nook Simple Touch

My First Short Story
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

If this count is true, four people were upset enough about landscape mode to post a complaint here.  Which would explain why B&N does not see it as a major priority.

Wordsmith
Droiddict

richardwrite25 wrote:

If this count is true, four people were upset enough about landscape mode to post a complaint here.  Which would explain why B&N does not see it as a major priority.

I don't see why even one of roustabout's well-reasoned posts about the problems associated with NOT having landscape mode available wouldn't be enough reason for B&N to make it a priority.  Don't their people read these boards at all?  This isn't an opionion issue like the famous cookbook.  It's an issue that affects comfort in reading as well as safety in not putting pressure on the very fragile cord.  Sorry if people are tired of hearing about it.  If numbers are all that count than they need to hear about it a LOT more.  It should be a simple thing to fix since their own app has the features that are required to improve the stock NC reader.

Contributor
Megthered
0 Kudos

I sideloaded the update with no problem, but I have a n2a card and will probably continue to use it rather than the stock. I use the landscape mode to read and was very disappointed that I coundn't use it. I also wanted the Netflix app, so I went to the card. I love my Nook color and won't replace it with anything else.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

gsweely wrote:

I can't image B&N discontinuing the Nook and NookColor.  These are key to their book selling business which unfortunately is becoming electronic and internet based over brick and mortar stores.  The Nook is just another way to capture readers willing to buy "books".    The idea that B&N isn't attempting to compete in the tablet business means they are going to drop book readers makes no sense.  7" tablets are mostly focused on book / document reading with a little functionality for minor internet browsing, and in near future Video phones.  Tablets are mostly going to become generic PC replacements for most people.  Especially with the aging population that can't easily use the newer complex smaller phones (to small so hard to read and type with) and simpler to use interface for most functions.  I find most aging people are feeling the PC is to complex and costly to use and manage.  Some people will just buy a standard tablet and run book reading software on it.  But I believe there will always be a market for a smaller reading device with internet browsing functionality. 

I like the Nook Color just the way it is.  Keep it the size it is and just do minor tweeks to improve its internet browsing functionality to keep its price down, half the cost of 10inch tablet.  Perhaps add Verizon/ATT wireless connectivity that can be turned on/off.  Perhaps add camera and Video Phone over skype type functionality.  But price under $250, size point and 24 hour battery life are critical.  Many people keep looking for NC to be low cost iPad.  Instead B&N should focus on maintaining capability of nook reader SW for larger tablets for times staff what that.  iPad type features require 10" screen space.  I want a small, lean, mean book reader that keeps its long battery life and is easy to carry around.  I may still use a tablet as my portable laptop PC replacement, but there are times I don't want to deal with lugging around something larger in size nor looking for power outlet for 10-12 hours of use over long holiday weekends.

The Samsung Galaxy 7" tab does this for $200 (except for the 24 hour battery life which just isn't gonna happen for any color tab with those specs.) Verizon fees extra, of course.

I don't see B&N having any interest in adding a camera or phone capability to their "Reader's Tablet". That means a heck of a lot more tech support for options that do nothing to increase book sales. 

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

It would also take a hardware re-design to integrate camera and cellular capability, at which point why not rework the whole thing to keep up with "future demands"

Wordsmith
doncr

Droiddict wrote:

richardwrite25 wrote:

I don't see why even one of roustabout's well-reasoned posts about the problems associated with NOT having landscape mode available wouldn't be enough reason for B&N to make it a priority.  Don't their people read these boards at all?  This isn't an opionion issue like the famous cookbook.  It's an issue that affects comfort in reading as well as safety in not putting pressure on the very fragile cord.  Sorry if people are tired of hearing about it.  If numbers are all that count than they need to hear about it a LOT more.  It should be a simple thing to fix since their own app has the features that are required to improve the stock NC reader.

Bear with me here, but I have trouble understanding why you guys keep your device if it didn't do what you thought it would?  It hasn't had this capability from Day One so you knew soon after you brought it home that it wouldn't allow reading books in landscape.  

Wny not  look for something else that would?  Has BN made a statement specifically saying that landscape mode would be enabled by an upcoming OS update?  If not, and landscape mode is that important to you, why not ditch the device and find something to make you happy?

The cookbook was more than just an "opinion issue".  If BN is allowed to put things on your device that you can't remove in order to advertise their products, you effectively have an ad-subsidized device.  If the User Agreement allows this sort of thing, then they can also sell the access to your device to any marketing firm.  Imagine going to your Home screen and seeing an ad for cheap mortages or male enhancement products and not being able to delete them. A bit far-fetched?  Sure, but what do we have to prevent this sort of thing from happening?  The only recourse is a user backlash, and that's what happened here in these forums over the last four months and it seems to have worked.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

[ Edited ]

Don,  the cookbook was actually referenced in the user guide as a learning tool to show people how to work with video books. 

Yes, they could have made a better choice of video book example to cite in the user guide and yes, I can understand why there were folks who thought it seemed like (or was also) an advertisement. 

Landscape mode was actually - until May - sold by BN as a differentiator between the NC and other readers.  They changed that copy at the time they introduced the simple touch.

My device works great for me.  I have fbreader and the Kindle app, both of which support landscape mode and much better pricing than BN supports.  Why would I return it? 

Not having landscape mode is annoying to me, because it is a chore to get reading position synced out to other epub readers that do support landscape.  But I'm very technical, I figured out what I wanted, and took care of it. 

The IWW slogan "an injury to one is an injury to all" is why I'm so annoyed that 'reading improvements' mostly mean 'selling improvements' (but I am seeing indications that the improved cross-device sync has new stuff in it, which is great when it works.) 

Because I'm technical, and one variant of the fix was pretty straightforward, I wound up meeting some folks I've sent root cards to and helped over the phone.  Folks who didn't want landscape, but actually needed it.  Folks who bought the device, bought books, found it painful to hold for long periods unpropped - but who, like me, basically liked a lot about the device. For someone non-technical, getting the device reconfigured to be as useful as it can be is an unnecessary chore.  Getting your paid content off the device and unlocked - even more of a chore. 

Until May, the "which nook for you" page stated about the Nook Color "Read in Portrait and Landscape Modes."

After May, it read "Portrait and Landspace for Kids Books & Magazines"

Customers were being told that a fix was coming - not in press releases, but by staff at stores.  (Then there were other staff claiming that epub did not support landscape at all.) 

Given how simply this issue could be put to bed, and that BN promised the feature for months, 'get rid of the device' sounds a lot like 'Amercia:  Love it Leave it."

Are those the only choices?  Isn't changing it an option? 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
robert93

Having come to the nook after a $99 ereader from a big box retailer, that COULD do landscape reading, I know that its not rocket science to incorporate this feature.  I SPECIFICALLY asked B&N "nook experts" at the store about Landscape reading, and was told "depending on the formatting of the book" which is what the then current literature also stated.  Sorry, but the device was marketed as landscape capable. 

The other device I had worked with was totally unlocked, and I was free to tinker or add anything to it i wanted, no root lockout whatsoever, if I could learn Android, I was free to do with it what i wished.  The closed nook operating system was a suprise to me, but hey, i didnt ask about that up front, it just didnt occur to me, my bad. 

As to the not returning the device, the hardware itself is superior to many other 7" tablets out there, why ditch good hardware when a possibly overlooked glitch could be fixed shortly,, since new updates were promised "any time now"?  Well, this 'glitch' hasnt been fixed.  

I find it alarming that all of a sudden there are all these new voices coming out ridiculing those of us who were informed the nook was lanscape capable, and how dare we insist on this feature being made good on.  The characterisation of us as childish and unrealistic is equally annoying.  The insistance on their part that "these devices never were marketed as landscape capable", sorry, there is printed photographic, and text documentation to the contrary.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

roustabout wrote:

Given how simply this issue could be put to bed, and that BN promised the feature for months, 'get rid of the device' sounds a lot like 'Amercia:  Love it Leave it."

Are those the only choices?  Isn't changing it an option? 

I somewhat disagree.

I find it appalling that B&N lied.  I'll get that out there up front.  If they promised landscape, it should have been there.  Fullstop.

HOWEVER, anyone who bought it needing landscape (even just wanting it) should have returned it immediately for a full refund, unless they - without assistance - were capable of and comfortable with turning it into what they needed it to be.

If you keep a device expecting that the manufacturer will turn it into what you want/need it to be (even what they promised it to be!) but isn't currently you will always be disappointed.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the record, I don't understand why they haven't yet fixed it.  They've shown that it's possible, in their own Android app, so it's not a matter of impossibility - and if they can't fix the stock reader without FUBARing something else, they could (as you have pointed out!) make their Android app available. 

I don't believe that anyone has been harmed by this feature's absence.  Everyone had an equal opportunity to return it for a refund after they purchased it and determined B&N lied.  They also had the right to shout from the rooftop that B&N lied.  Nobody was forced to keep a device that didn't meet their needs, even though it claimed to.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

Again, it comes down to money.

The number of people who refuse to buy a NOOKcolor unless there's landscape reading is probably in the dozens (I personally, in the few thousand potential NOOK owners I talk to every month, hear it mentioned maybe once or twice, but never as a dealbreaker). Meanwhile, the dev time can be spent on developing the enchanced magazines (a feature that was also "promised" when the device launched), negotiating with the publisher to give free digital copies to print subscribers (another highly requested feature), and all the other backend stuff that went into that new feature. The potential sales of these magazines, given that they're all among the bestselling paper titles nationwide, is enormous.

So tell me, as a business, what do you think BN is going to prioritize?

The NOOK dev team is aware of the request for landscape reading. I don't have any information beyond that.

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

Honestly, if I'd been told up front, "no way in hell the nook color stock software will allow you to read landscape", I would have KEPT LOOKING for the device that would do it.  $249 was a high enough price that if it WASNT perfect, and if updates hadnt been promised, that "might" fix it, I'd have kept looking.  It wasnt until well after the 14 day return that the promised updates come out, with NO FIX for landscape.  The developers are aware of it? Great, Being aware of a problem doesnt mean they are going to do anything about it.  I know you are not in a position to say anything, or control the outcome of what goes on one way or the other, but fixing whats "economically feasable" instead of what they claimed the device could do to begin with stinks!  Would you be happy with a car that was governed to 50 mph , when the engine was capable of going 85?  Ohh, its still useable, yeah, the brakes work, the radio and a/c work, it just wont go over 50.  It doesnt skip or sound wrong, it just wont do what it WAS SUPPOSED TO DO!

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

Frankly, I also don't understand why anyone NEEDS to use the thing hooked to the charger for extended periods of time.  It's got an eight hour battery life!  Read for eight hours and then go take a bathroom/snack/nap break and plug it in for a while to re-charge. 

Contributor
quilt-diva
0 Kudos

Hey I love the example with the NC in landscape mode on that stand.  Any ideas where to purchase one of those?

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Dean I mostly agree with your view point, especially end of the development cycle for the Nookcolor.

I don't agree with what the future for B&N might be concerning the Nookcolor or NC2 or tablets.

B&N has to distance it’s image from Borders, investors have already shown that they thought B&N was headed for trash heap like Borders.  B&N jumped into the digital ebook media with both feet.  Further with over 700 stores selling mostly dead tree books which now represent less than half of B&N sales, analysts agree it's the physical stores that have the potential for recovery (something Amazon or Google can’t match).  We can already see B&N’s recovery  won't be via dead tree books, so something else has to occupy store shelf space to achieve the desired sales.

B&N will sell over 6 million Nookcolors this year, x $249 that is almost a $Billion and half in sales, last year sales were 7 billion thus NC represent better than 20% of their total sales.  So it is easy to see that having a HOT gadget is a huge boost, and we are not even talking about the ebooks sales that follows.  In other words there is plenty of incentive for B&N to continue to develop & produce more digital devices including a NC2.  It is unfortunate that B&N can't seem to get a clear vision for what to do in this market segment, though Dean as a successful programmer can easily rem.  that Apple hasn't always been the power house company it is today, it took years.  With the right leadership and some vision readjustment B&N can and should remain in top 3 to 5 as a book seller and possible gadget seller. 

As for the landscape issue, while some strongly feel it is critical, for me it isn’t.  I have read about 3 dozen books since owning the NC, I do most of my reading in bed at night, and have no problem finding a comfortable position to read without holding the NC.  Tuesday I went to the doctors office, took the NC and managed 50 pages while sitting, and again finding a comfortable position to read the NC was easy.  Would I like landscape for Ebooks, YES!  For now I can live without it, I think most can also.  Does it matter than B&N advertised landscape ebook reading, maybe, but as already pointed out advertising claims often don’t meet the expectations of buyers.

Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats

[ Edited ]

Late coming to the party.

Regarding the landscape issue:

If it wasn't for roustabout's kind help I would have put my NC in a drawer and not bother with it again.

As a person suffering from arthritis in my hands, holding NC in portrait is downright painful. Having the ability to read in landscape is FAR more comfortable. I now use it everyday.

In my POV the location of the plug is a design flaw that hopefully BN corrects in new models. Having it on the bottom makes it difficult to read and charge at the same time. Much too easy to snap out and break.

When in landscape with the plug now on the side I can read and charge at the same time knowing the plug won't break. Plus I can watch movies in landscape while it's on the charger.

Personally I do not care about apps and the other stuff tablet proponants want. If I wanted a fullblown tablet I'd buy one.

What matters to me is very simple. The ability to read in landscape  mode. And the plug put in a better position to facilitate the ability to read and charge at the same time.

Nook Color Wallpapers
Inspired Contributor
VAharleygirl
0 Kudos

As someone who had seen that literature that claimed Landscape reading, and was *quite* happy with the iPhone NOOK app, to lose the Landscape option is quite frustrating.

There are times where a horizontal works better than portrait, or I want to prop the tablet up, and it's a lot easier to do so in LS mode than PT.

I find it hard to believe that there are more NC users that want "enhanced magazines" than a Landscape mode, especially if there's no blanket "If u have a paper sub, you get access to the e-mag".

As for the parental controls... reminds me of the reverse of the argument about Hasbro selling Transformers... those are marketed at "kids" but kids are not going (or often receive) to buy 3 copies of the same toy, or drop $60-300 for an individual toy. Took 25 years for Hasbro to realize they needed to appeal to the adult market almost as much as the kiddie one. Just as I thought eReaders are very much an adult item, but there is a notable market that want kiddie-books, and controls to allow them to do their parental duties in keeping questionable material from their children.