Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Science_man

What would you like BN to do to keep you from the fire?

The enjoy the NC very much ,but the competition is really heating up.   I would like to continue to support BN, but right now I not sure that I will.

For example, I'd love to have the whole family each have a Nook, or Nook Color - we are all avid readers and share alot of books.   So we could have 3-4 nooks (I have a large family) and we could all share books (Ie encyclopedias, or the boys could share their science fictions books,all on 1 account).  However, if I got a couple of nooks for my kids and we all shared an account, they would be able to view/access some books that I have purchased but would not want them to see.   It seems like it would not be too hard for BN to set up a system so that books can be locked so that the cover cannot be seen, or the book accessed until a password is entered.    But a year into it, this is still not an option.

Also, more useful aps would be nice.    There are over 700 aps right now, but a good 70% of these "aps" are actually books.   Since when is a book an ap?   

What would you want?

(note, this is all for our own gratification as I seriously doubt BN management in the Ivory tower reads anything on this board).

Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe
0 Kudos

Re: What would you like BN to do to keep you from the fire?

Oh boy, I hope you have your flame proof undies on.
Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

I think the ability to have multiple accounts on one device is a great idea....kind of like AOL used to do with their dial-up service.  However, this has little to do with the "competition" you alluded to, since I'm not aware that the Fire will be able to do that, either.

Am I the only one who thinks "the Fire" is a silly sounding name for a Tablet?  Yes, sillier than "Nook." 

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980

[ Edited ]

Science_man wrote:

For example, I'd love to have the whole family each have a Nook, or Nook Color - we are all avid readers and share alot of books.   So we could have 3-4 nooks (I have a large family) and we could all share books (Ie encyclopedias, or the boys could share their science fictions books,all on 1 account).  However, if I got a couple of nooks for my kids and we all shared an account, they would be able to view/access some books that I have purchased but would not want them to see.   It seems like it would not be too hard for BN to set up a system so that books can be locked so that the cover cannot be seen, or the book accessed until a password is entered.    But a year into it, this is still not an option.

This is already quite possible thanks to the Social DRM that BN uses, even when a device is registered to another account.

Go into your library on BN.com (or mynook.com). Find the book(s) you want to give them, and click the download button. Plug their NOOK into the computer, and drag and drop those files into their "My Books" folder. When you disconnect the NOOK, you'll be able to find the books in the "My Files>My Books" section of the Library. When you click to open the books you'll be prompted to enter your Name and Credit Card number to unlock the DRM on the file. Once it's entered once they can read the book to their heart's content.

It isn't as shiny as allowing selective downloading, but it gets the job done nicely.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Science_man wrote:

The enjoy the NC very much ,but the competition is really heating up.   I would like to continue to support BN, but right now I not sure that I will.

Also, more useful aps would be nice.    There are over 700 aps right now, but a good 70% of these "aps" are actually books.   Since when is a book an ap?   

What would you want?

(note, this is all for our own gratification as I seriously doubt BN management in the Ivory tower reads anything on this board).

BN doesn't have to do anything to keep me from the "Fire".  I didn't buy a Kindle and I wouldn't buy a Fire and especially after reading about the working conditions in the Amazon warehouses, I'm now rethinking my decisions to buy anything from Amazon.  

If I was going to buy a tablet, which I'm not, I still prefer reading on an eInk device.  I have a NC, I read on my N1E. 

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

By the way, your number of 70% of the apps being books is not correct. I started counting, and when I got done with counting, I'd reached about 385 non-book apps.  And of course, 385 is more than half of 700....not to mention that I still had several more categories to count, but just got bored with it.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

A $200 tablet that has 8gb of memory isn't much to get excited about.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Science that would be a very nice application that you suggest. My hubby and I have our own NC's so your issues does not pertain to me.

I agree...why are there so many books that are listed under apps, I also find it puzzling.

As for me...I would love a faster/user friendly browser.

And my ultimate wish would be to have a "delete all" option in the email program.

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

Nothing...I am not that fickle. Both of our nookcolors do exactly what we needed them to do, as I researched before I purchased. I also don't feel any need to spend the money on a new device that won't give me more...the extra speed is neglible in light of no sd card expansion, for me.
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Wordsmith
robert93

Hmmm, what to do to keep me from fire.....First, an attentive staff, fully aware of whats going on throughout the store, second, a good smoke alarm system, that would let everyone know to stay away from fire, extinguishers clearly marked, just in case, clearly marked exits.....

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

Science_Man wrote:

> For example, I'd love to have the whole family each have a Nook, or Nook Color - we are all avid readers and share alot of books. <

That's fine, and works well for the B&N Nooks.  It's also effective for games.  But are you saying you'd be willing to do the same with the new Amazon tablet, and let your children play with Fire?  :smileywink:  What kind of parent would do that?  :smileyvery-happy:

- Mark

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

Nothing. I don't generally jump out and buy the latest piece of electronics just because it's new. My Nook does exactly what I want and need it to do so the only reason I would be looking for a new reader would be if mine died.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Doreen wrote:

> And my ultimate wish would be to have a "delete all" option in the email program. <

What a novel concept!  I don't think I've ever heard that idea suggested before.  :smileyhappy:

- Mark

Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell

B&N doesn't have to do anything for me. My momma told me a long time ago when you play with fire, you get burned. She also told me you better shop around, which I did , and I very happy with my choice.

Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

I must confess that for a few minutes I thought about preordering one of these flammable things.  Then I decided to explore more in depth the capabilities of my NC, and little by little realized that I can do a lot of things with it.  The potential is there.  We just need to get out of our shells and explore the myriad of possibilities hidden within our device.  The other members of the "burning" family are simply the amazon version of our N2E, but on steroids.  I certainly hope that B&N is able to develop new products that will be able to show amazon that they are not the only product in the market. 

It is also essential that B&N listen to its loyal customers.  Our requests aim at keeping hundreds of thousands of consumers and B&N supporters happy.

Lector GS
Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

Does NC support Netflix? 

Thanks!

Lector GS
Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
0 Kudos

Nothing.

I logged in to CNet when they live blogged the Amazon event. At first, it sounded cool. Then, after I checked out the specs, I was less than impressed. There was nothing in their little "family" that I'm interested in.

I love my N1E and just ordered a NC refurb the night before the Fire was introduced. After researching the N2A cards, I ordered one (that's the only money Amazon got from me this week...LOL). I think I'm coming out ahead even though it's costing me more money than the Fire. I prefer B&N, pure and simple. Sometimes, it's just not about the money.

I love being able to go into the B&N store, even if just to browse. Okay, scratch that..........it's impossible for me to enter a bookstore and walk out empty-handed, but I digress. Can Amazon give me that? Nope!

If anything, more apps would be nice. It seems like there are an inordinate number of apps and games for kids. It would also be nice if more of the apps were free, like they are for your phone.  But, these are not deal breakers for me. I'm still a NOOK fan!!

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Mark, I figure if I keep requesting a "delete all" feature, someone may accidently take me seriously and create that option for us.

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

I'm sure they'll take "delete all" in an email app as serioiusly as landscape mode. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

Really all they need to do is consistently support and gradually improve the experience. This might mean modest hardware upgrades, bluetooth maybe, content, netflix?, ability to download by overdrive directly. Things like the sheer nuber of apps is not as important as the ones they sell downloading and working properly. I drive a mazda 3 hatch. It has the right blend of features and perforance for me. For the co nk books, web browsing, access to materials I create and use on a pc. I don't create them on the nook but I desire the ability to access and update easily. Right now using and syncing these products is awkward.