Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
southpawami
0 Kudos

Re: What would you like BN to do to keep you from the fire?

- I wouldn't want anything changed in hardware except the processor, memory, and perhaps higher resolution on the display

- I'd want Asian text input(Japanese) - for notes, flash cards for language class, or any other available application.

- I'd want access to the android application database 'at my own risk' kind of thing without needing to 'root'

- I'd want bluetooth profiles working with the present Nook Color.  Stereo, Mono, Printing, Object Push would be nice profiles... these profiles are on my simple phones in my house, all my laptop computers, and I'd appreciate them on my Nook

- In conjunction with bluetooth profiles, it would be nice to have a name card program in a far, far, better contacts program that could be used with a bluetooth profile to exchange business cards

- It would be nice if you'd work with other companies or people groups to put things different and unique on the Nook Color, such as working with the free Wings3d.com program to put a 3d modeling program on the Nook Color, working with the free inkscape.com program to put a 2d illustrator like program on the Nook Color, working with toonboom to put a 2d animation program on the nook color

Correspondent
dandelion_cottage
0 Kudos

I agree that it would be great to be able to download library books wirelessly and to be able to empty my trash in e-mail. And I'd become a B&N member if it gave me discounts on Nook books (tho I realize the publishers dictate the prices, not B&N).

But really, the NC does pretty much everything I want it to do, since I use it mostly for reading. I especially like being able to go to a B&N store if I have a problem--my local store has been really helpful. 

Reader 4
Multi_Nook
0 Kudos

Both my kids have NookColor tablets/readers and use them daily.  Camera is not necessary.  For the long term growth of the product I would recommend that B&N drive the product through school systems. High schools are on the verge of major technological investments and NookColors (or the next generation product) would be far superior to TI-84 calculators since the NC could help them with every subject; including reading.  The fact that wide access to the Android market is not available may be a good thing for high schoolers.  For note taking the NC should offer a Bluetooth keyboard option so that data entry could be accelerated.  The other detail is that the NC should be able to handle text books so that kids do not need to lug 30 pounds in their backpacks on a daily basis.

For my own personal/business interests, I would like a larger screen NC (maybe 9.5" - 10" screen).  I would like the convenience of using it as an e-reader, a text book source for college level courses, as well as a note taking instrument.  Being in a technical field I would like to see the next generation NC supplement my desktop computer.  Ideally as a road warrior, or travelling from meeting to meeting I would like access to enterprise e-mail, presentations, text files, spreadsheets, pdf files, and Gantt charts.  The rest of the high end computational work I would be able to perform on my desk.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

On the story about Amazon:  the air conditioning in the Amazon warehouse is terrible. 

What bothered me more, though, was the way Amazon rotated a constant pool of temps instead of letting people get hired on after a probationary period. Temps get paid less than entry level workers, since a cut goes to their pimps temp agencies and do not qualify for retirement investments, health, dental, vacation, sick leave, etc.  If one of our national end goals is, as it seems to be, to reduce social security payments to just exactly enough to cover the cost of the cheapest possible mandatory health insurance, shouldn't we put down our copy of Atlas Shrugged long enough to ask ourselves why we're permitting employers to essentially force large groups of what amount to employees not even to participate in 401k plans, let alone real pension plans? 

I had not realized that was how Amazon staffed its warehouses, and yes, that will affect my choice about what I buy and from where. 

The staffing policy is where workers could use some solidarity;  the heat stroke is beyond the reach of solidarity and into behavior that suggests decent legal represntation. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

>>Also, B&N should allow B&N members to get discount on Nook products<<

I hadn't thought of that, but it's a very good point. 

Inspired Contributor
carbonbiker

Make it easy to download books from the library.

Read a good nook lately?
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

Regarding note taking: I've just installed the evermore app on the nook color and iPhone and desktop at home, and looked at the Springpad app to compare. I think these are great apps for note taking, and I can see these being useful... But I would agree the capability to link a Bluetooth keyboard would be great... It's tricky to type with the on screen keyboard even in landscape... It is o.k... Maybe I could get used to it with more practice but in a 7" screen, it feels a little small... Nice thing about evermore is the feature where it can search even from a photo of text or handwriting... I suppose I could use a paper and pen for notes and then an iPhone to take a picture to store digitally... But ideally if there were a way to take notes directly on a nook, that would make it a suitable substitute for a physical notepad, that would be a big sakes point...
Contributor
synergi
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

roustabout wrote:

Temps get paid less than entry level workers, since a cut goes to their pimps temp agencies and do not qualify for retirement investments, health, dental, vacation, sick leave, etc.  If one of our national end goals is, as it seems to be, to reduce social security payments to just exactly enough to cover the cost of the cheapest possible mandatory health insurance, shouldn't we put down our copy of Atlas Shrugged long enough to ask ourselves why we're permitting employers to essentially force large groups of what amount to employees not even to participate in 401k plans, let alone real pension plans? 

Do you realize that B&N use temps they also don't hire in? They do quite a bit of outsourcing..

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

Science_man wrote:

The enjoy the NC very much ,but the competition is really heating up.   I would like to continue to support BN, but right now I not sure that I will.

For example, I'd love to have the whole family each have a Nook, or Nook Color - we are all avid readers and share alot of books.   So we could have 3-4 nooks (I have a large family) and we could all share books (Ie encyclopedias, or the boys could share their science fictions books,all on 1 account).  However, if I got a couple of nooks for my kids and we all shared an account, they would be able to view/access some books that I have purchased but would not want them to see.   It seems like it would not be too hard for BN to set up a system so that books can be locked so that the cover cannot be seen, or the book accessed until a password is entered.    But a year into it, this is still not an option.

Also, more useful aps would be nice.    There are over 700 aps right now, but a good 70% of these "aps" are actually books.   Since when is a book an ap?   

What would you want?

(note, this is all for our own gratification as I seriously doubt BN management in the Ivory tower reads anything on this board).

Right now, I honestly could not answer that question.  My NC will only be a year old at Christmas, and my N2E is of course even younger.  I fully expect these two to meet my ereader needs (or my wants, which is really the thing that drives sales of these things) until at least 2013 or so.  By then, the Kindle Fire will have been replaced, at least once, and the successor to the NC will also be long displaced.

The average life span of any of these devices is 12 months of often less.  According to some news reports, if it were not for parts supplier issues, Apple would be bringing out the iPad 3 before the iPad 2 was barely out of diapers.  The Kindle Fire, I personally predict, will be displaced by another Amazon tablet device within a year, if not sooner (you just know they are and have been already working on it's successor since before the first Fire was officially announced).

So unless you really plan on buying something in the next 6-8 months, I would have to say I'll be most likely waiting to see what the successors to the successors of the current models have to offer.

As the saying goes:  "Lead, follow, or get out of the way".  In consumer electronics, that means no pausing (in terms of device development) for even a short breather, or you are apt to be eating nothing but dust for the rest of the race.

Reader 4
poseidonsdaughter
0 Kudos

Hmmm, I own a Nook Colour, however I just pre-ordered the Fire.  If B&N wants to keep me as a customer there are a couple of things I would love to see:

1.  Video support.  Currently the NC does not support Netflix. 

2.  More apps like Angry Birds Seasons.

3.  More books.  Currently Amazon has a larger selection of ebooks than B&N does.

One thing I have to give B&N is that they do have better NC covers than Amazon.  I hate the Fire covers Amazon has, they are ugly and although I preordered one (just to protect my Fire), B&N beats them in aesthetics. 

Sure you could get all these things with the Nook if you root it, however I think that if B&N could make the NC as the rooted NC it would be a hit device.  For me what keeps me from getting an IPad is the size.  NC and Kindle currently has a size that fits in my handbag, the IPad doesn't.

Inspired Contributor
Joe05
0 Kudos

I am a  pretty happy camper with my NC just the way it is. But as long as we are throwing out wishes...Some sort of discount for B&N members and a Netflix app. That's it...:smileyhappy:

Correspondent
tuck229

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

Go into your library on BN.com (or mynook.com). Find the book(s) you want to give them, and click the download button. Plug their NOOK into the computer, and drag and drop those files into their "My Books" folder. When you disconnect the NOOK, you'll be able to find the books in the "My Files>My Books" section of the Library. When you click to open the books you'll be prompted to enter your Name and Credit Card number to unlock the DRM on the file. Once it's entered once they can read the book to their heart's content.

It isn't as shiny as allowing selective downloading, but it gets the job done nicely.

I'm giving my two sons NCs as presents, and while I have not tried this yet, I have seen it posted a few times.  I must say this is very very cool if it indeed works.  I was going to keep all three of our Nooks on the same account, but I think this method of sharing will satisfy our occasional want of sharing books and avoid the hassle of dealing with three-on-the-same that I predict. 

I am not interested in the Fire.  It seems to be more of a "locked down" device and that annoys me.  I like being able to load music, video, or whatever I want onto an SD card, and of course swapping out SDcards between Nook devices will be handy as well.  Maybe I am not giving enough credit to cloud storage, but with only 8 gig of storage on a multimedia device with no option of expansion, I just don't like that at all.  If most of my multimedia-ness has to be used via Amazon's services, I feel like I am leasing a Fire and not really the owner of it.  Yes, a Netflix app would be very cool on the Nook Color.  I just canceled my Netflix membership because of their price hike, but Netflix on the NC might tempt me back.

I haven't read a bunch of Fire reviews, but I'm surprised none have pointed out the lack of memory expansion. 

If the B&N could update NC software to allow me to use a bluetooth keyboard with my QuickOffice app, THAT would leave me wanting to hug someone's neck!!!!!

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

@rostabout

Excellent point!!!!  Life is more than choosing the rigth e-reader.  It's about choosing what's right.

Lector GS
Inspired Contributor
RoseBaby

Nothing.  The fire does not meet my needs.  I'm not a consumer of portable multimedia.  I have old eyes and I suspect that I would need more than a 7" screen if I did.  I like my nook color and it does everything I need it to do.  I'm not interested in ad supported reading, or cloudsourcing, though B&N does that to some extent.  I've gotten spoiled by the ability to carry a core library with me withotu worrying about access to download.  The fire just isn't my device.