Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
japerry
0 Kudos

What would you like to see in 1.4?

What would you like to see as far aas apps goes in the to-be-released 1.4? I mean I know it's already been packaged and this thread is a little late but it just got me thinking...

I'm an avid reader so I'm hoping the new 1.4 will allow access to the Overdrive app.

Owner of a Nook Color and a Nook Simple Touch

My First Short Story
Contributor
geek123

Re: What would you like to see in 1.4?

My wish list:

1] Android Market:  It would be great to have android market on stock OS. This is one big update B&N should be looking at seriously !!

2] Better video streaming/playing capability: I simply cant play many video formats. Not sure if  it is possible to fix that with software update. But if even there is slightest possibility, it should be coming ! Also, youtube in browser runs needs major improvement. I own a Nokia n800 which I think is less than half as powerfull as NC. It has a mplayer port which can play almost any format you throw at it. Considering that, I have always felt that NC lagged when it came to video playback !!

3] Audio over headphones: This again is not that great . (Again , not sure if software can fix this).

4] Blueetooth voice input: Still havent heard anyone running custom ROM being able to use a bluetooth headset for VOIP with NC. Now if  B&N can enable it as an experimental feature, it would be really great !!!

5]Free books search option: Frankly, I havent found an easy way to search for 'free ebooks' using NC's interface.  I am a new user, but still, I feel that option  should be easily accessible.

As someone who purchased NC recently, I would be dissapointed if all these features become available on the rumoured Nook Tablet and none make it to  1.4 update for NC.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

[ Edited ]

I'd sure like to see the stock reader be able to support landscape mode for real books.  As it stands, there's a contingent of folks for whom just getting the NC to function on par with BN's own nook app for anrdoid requires rooting.

Support for location services would be cool, too - there are some nice apps for seeing what movies and other events are coming up that expect location services to work, but don't need GPS.  Fandango's one app that BN distributes now that benefits from being able to figure out where you were (which Android can do using wifi alone, at least in cities.)

Enabling USB host mode would be great, too, along with documentation on supported peripherals.  Seems possible that BN could release a keyboard similar to that of the Transformer in that it contained a battery and for some folks that would be a great way to extend battery life.  And of course support for someone's USB sketchpad would be super cool - you could do the latter with a slightly thicker case and a 7" pad, open it like a book and have both devices with you in the case. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
BookLover85

I would absolutely love if the library would allow supporting by genre to make it easier to pick what to read.

Inspired Contributor
scosgt

CM7 supports more video formats. You just need an external player, like vplayer or vital player. .avi plays perfectly.

Inspired Wordsmith
TigerShawk

Free memory meter on the internal SD card.  Its sloppy to have repartitioned, and not address the fact that you can't see how much free space is available.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

Wow, we must be really desperate for topics to discuss if we're talking about something that's done, and can't be influenced in any way.  Perhaps this should be the "What I'll be disappointed about when I find it's not in 1.4" thread.  :smileywink:

In 48 hours, we'll know exactly what 1.4 does and doesn't have.  Hopefully that's not too long to wait.  (Which isn't to say I don't agree with many of the wishes here.)

What would make almost as much sense would be a "What I'd like to see in the 1.5 update" thread.  I say Almost, because based on 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3, customer input has very little impact on what B&N deems important.

- Mark

Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture

I hope to see a video store, and a more direct toggle between the library sections on the device and the stores... So you can browse the stores and your library from the same interface, toggle between them, also, a toggle in each content section between in device content and memory card content... More convenient single touch browsing in this way, much like the kindle fire, how you can switch between device and cloud at the touch of a button... Also between library and store... And add an overdrive app for easy library borrowing direct on the device...
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

japerry wrote:

What would you like to see as far aas apps goes in the to-be-released 1.4? I mean I know it's already been packaged and this thread is a little late but it just got me thinking...

I'm an avid reader so I'm hoping the new 1.4 will allow access to the Overdrive app.

I would prefer Adobe Digital Editions to have an app on the Nook since you can't read ebooks on Overdrive yet that I know of. It's for audio/visual content though it does help one find libraries to borrow ebooks. At least that was the limitation just a couple of months ago. Adobe Digital editions would allow me to download my library books right onto my NC. THAT would be awesome!

pamela

Inspired Contributor
carbonbiker

I drive 2 hours per day.... I'd like to see, or hear, text-to-speech.

Read a good nook lately?
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

carbonbiker wrote:

I drive 2 hours per day.... I'd like to see, or hear, text-to-speech.

Have you tried audio books?  Text to speech isn't really all that wonderful to listen to, it's kind of like having your GPS read the book to you.  At least the couple of samples I've heard, it's basically a computer reading the book.

Contributor
anonypotamus
0 Kudos

There are really only two things more that I want from my NC:

1) Instapaper (or Readability)

2) A clean, text-based, mostly bug-free RSS app (i.e., Feeddler)

How something that bills itself as a reader's tablet has so far failed to offer the latter is beyond me.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

For # 2, take a look at Newsrob Pro.  It integrates with a Google Reader account and I'm delighted with it, including the excellent on-device caching - so you can read and not be on - network. 

Your device currently needs to be rooted to use it, and it pretty much requires a google reader account.  The google reader bit might explain why BN isn't looking too closely at it, but it's very nice. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Correspondent
MDD73
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
carbonbiker
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

Have you tried audio books?  Text to speech isn't really all that wonderful to listen to, it's kind of like having your GPS read the book to you.  At least the couple of samples I've heard, it's basically a computer reading the book.

Yeah, you're probably right.   I wouldn't necessarily do it for the entire book, but would probably do so to help me get through a book faster.  It would be a bit like giving Stephen Hawking a ride to work every day.

Read a good nook lately?
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

Looks like it's going to support landscape mode.  THANK GOODNESS!  Not that I have ever wanted landscape mode. Just that I'll be delighted not to hear constant harping on how it isn't there. 

Correspondent
KLFL
0 Kudos

About the Overdrive app...I have it on my IPad and I did read a book on it. Let me just say, it was not a good reading experience.
Contributor
craig139

Access to the android application store.  With regards to the Bluetooth chip in the Nook Color, while it is there, there is no antenna attached to it, so the range is much smaller than the standard BT range.

Nook Color running v1.3
Frequent Contributor
McCreamy
0 Kudos

What I REALLY want is lockable shelves!!! Overdrive would be nice, and I would download it right away, but I hightly doubt that a bookstore would be in a hurry to publish an app that would allow users to read free books.

Contributor
sandystarr28
0 Kudos

I am still waiting for an easy copy/paste function and a usuable, modifieable calendar. In addition, it would be nice to have more fonts available for reading, since the ones they provide are so similar to each other.