New User
Jakko

What you would want in the Nook Color 1.3 update.

I tried the search function, and could not find this. I could just be missing it, if so, I am sorry. But if not...

What would you like to see in the 1.3 update? Here are a few things I would like, feel free to disagree.

1. Re-do the software a bit. Make it so the "Night" theme is true black and true white.

2. Maybe add a theme that makes the pages look yellowed/aged/burnt/curled.

3. Fix the library. I have seen this on three separate nooks colors, that the cover of the first book it is displayed as the cover of multiple other books. Also, sometimes the cover added through calibre doesn't show up.

4. Make it easier to delete books, especially those annoying samples.

5. Add more fonts.

6. Allow video support beyond .mp4.

7. I had read that some newer Nook Colors try to limit the number of sideloaded content allowed. I would rather they stop that.

8. Fix the search bar in the web browser, it is almost impossible to read what you wrote if it is of any appreciable length.

9. Change the page-turning animation to curl the page, rather than just slide it.

10. The Gallery app seems broken when trying to make a downloaded picture into a wallpaper. Small, small gripe(and possible I am just doing it wrong).

11. Allow the option of an entire shelf to be displayed on the desktop.

Agree/disagree? Anything else needed? These seem like rather simple, quick updates compared to the massive changes in 1.2.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Re: What you would want in the Nook Color 1.3 update.

Fix the bloody network stack already. Or release a supported rollback to 1.1, for those who need 1.1 to use networking (esp. for students using campus networks, who don't control the access points they connect to.) 

Backup.  If every helpdesk call to BN is going to be "try erase and deregister," give users the ability to backup shelves, bookmarks, wifi access point data, etc.  Hint:  Titanium already does some of this.  (everything but shelf assignment, AFAIK.) 

Landscape mode for books.  It's in the advertising for the NC, how bout in the deliverable, too. 

the book House Rules, in BN advertising, viewed in landscape

Night mode would be nice, also. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

I'd like to customize the look of the reader so I get an aged paper tone when reading -- like I do with Aldiko on my smartphone. I'd also like to be able to backup my configurations to my PC or Mac so I can recover from the inevitable factory reset. Configurations in this case should include the shelves, Wifi networks, passwords, bookmarks, etc. I'd also like: - an ability to sort the Gallery into hierarchical folders - selection of items in the Gallery into slideshows - the ability to use the file manager to copy, move and delete items - an ability to sync bookmarks with other Nooks on the same account - the ability to export bookmarks and notes to text documents or comma-separated-value files
Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

I would love a "delete all" feature in the email app.

Reader 2
gray68

Add the ability to change the color of words as well as background,  My Stanza app does this, great for reading with the lights off at night.

Ability to zoom in on illistrations. Maps are very hard to read within books.

Ability to search google and wikipedia of MORE than one word at a time, love the feature, but I can't use it for things such as "Treaty of Versaille" or "Julius Caesar" unless you type it in.

Love the product, would be perfect with these fixes.

Contributor
KayakerBob
0 Kudos

I've been asking for an address book that syncs with Outlook (possibly using the missing sync) from the begining.

Would love a simple file mgr to delete, rename files.

eWallet for Android app.

Better Gallery. I want to choose what is displayed, possibly using folders. 

Support for CBR/CBZ, CHM, PDB .

And of course, open up the app store.

Frequent Contributor
Mack_the_Knife

1.  wishlists not to be ignored like this one will be

♥ Children make you want to start life over
Frequent Contributor
Catfanatic1979v1

Right now I would be satisfied with a quickie , small update that just improved the performance (it is sluggish now with 1.2) and some bug fixes.

Inspired Contributor
nookloverjf

I would like the ability to sink with all google products like contacts, to do lists and email.
New User
Jakko
0 Kudos

Don't worry, there are depression help lines.

Inspired Contributor
David_Dearman
0 Kudos

Add ability to tag photos and sort by tags in Gallery App!
New User
Casey90
0 Kudos

I would like to be able to select text (like we're able to do in our books) in the web browser & do a copy, paste to like my springpad notes for example. For me, it would make it so much simpler to get what I need instead of going back & forth from the browser to my notes over & over, then typing it all in manually. Currently, that's all I ask for.
Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Jakko wrote:

What would you like to see in the 1.3 update?

What 1.3 update? What makes you think there will even be any more updates? Of course, if there are, HSN buyers will definitely be first in line! :smileyvery-happy:

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,358

nookloverjf wrote:
I would like the ability to sink with all google products like contacts, to do lists and email.

Either that, or swim.  :smileywink:   [I have a syncing feeling I'll be misunderstood.]

- Mark

Inspired Contributor
blueyedirishgrl

The ability to sort between sample books and purchased books on your NC would be HUGE!  We can do this in our library on bn.com...why can't we do this on any of our Nooks??  Seems like such a simple option and I've been surprised with every update & every Nook (I have all 3) that this is not an option and its really rather frustrating.  As I have about 200 books/samples in my library, it sure would be nice to be able to sort them separately!!!

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

Larger and darker fonts would be nice.  The Kindle has a smaller screen, but can still handle larger fonts (I am visually impaired and actually found the Kindle hard to read, probably because I need high contrast).  Also text to speech would be nice, since my visual impairment is progressive.  Lower priced ebooks would be great as well.  Also, a way to get rid of the cookbook sample and the apps I will never use in order to open up space would be useful.

Distinguished Correspondent
HumbleCorrespondent
0 Kudos

In addition, I would like a permanent back button in the book reader, not just have one appear for 5 seconds when I hit a footnote.

Also, bookmarks should pinpoint the actual virtual page I am on.  If I want to bookmark something within a couple of virtual pages of a prior bookmark (and is on the same page number at the top of the screen), it causes problems.

Finally, when high-lighting text, and syncing with the PC app, empty notes can be added to all of the high-lights.  This can be very annoying when you have actual notes, and have to sift through all of the empty notes.

That's just my opinion, you can take it for what it's worth, or just leave it alone.
Contributor
bvinson

I didn't read all the replies in this thread, so if I am repeating something already suggested, I apologize.

1. I would like a way to mark books as "Read" or "Finished", with the date completed, either on the home

screen or in the Library.

2. It would be nice to be able to backup shelves, email, contacts, and app data on either an uSD card, or PC.

3. A "Time Spent Reading" timer for each book would be cool.

New User
anewelding
0 Kudos

Honestly I could care less about all those convenience fixes. What I'd love to see is a fix thaqt actually fixes the Nook Color. Such as (And I don't know it I can the only one with these issues but...) the pages just flying past when I go to turn one page, the highlighter (like when you go to look up a word) just coming on at random moments and the worst one was when my NC locked up completely for about 45 minutes. It would not shut down, etc. NOTHING! Just fix the bugs. If you want a tablet computer, buy one. I wanted an e-reader and love the NC but the bugs drive me crazy. Fix them or you'll lose the e-reader race to the (UGH!) Kindle or another brand.

I'd rather burn out than rust . . .
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,358

[ Edited ]
Welcome, anew, and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

anewelding wrote:

Honestly I could care less about all those convenience fixes.

That's certainly understandable, given the problems you've reported below.  In that context, the fixes and enhancements being discussed here seem trivial.  However, for the rest of us, I assure you they are not.

What I'd love to see is a fix thaqt actually fixes the Nook Color.

Luckily for you, there is!  :smileyhappy:

Such as (And I don't know it I can the only one with these issues but...) the pages just flying past when I go to turn one page, the highlighter (like when you go to look up a word) just coming on at random moments

These are screen sensitivity issues.  If you've tried cleaning it, and they persist, you have a defective unit, and should return it for an exchange under warranty.

and the worst one was when my NC locked up completely for about 45 minutes. It would not shut down, etc. NOTHING!

Well, that's clearly a hardware defect.

Just fix the bugs.

What you're experiencing aren't the bugs we're talking about.  They are defects in your specific unit.  They are abnormal.  I can tell you that I have experienced NONE of them, on any on my 3 NCs.  Some of them HAVE been experienced (to a much lesser degree) by a handful of folks here.  Some resolved the problems by cleaning their screens.  Others had to return their NCs.

If you want a tablet computer, buy one. I wanted an e-reader and love the NC but the bugs drive me crazy. Fix them or you'll lose the e-reader race to the (UGH!) Kindle or another brand.

Run, don't walk, to your nearest B&N, and get rid of that lemon.  Exchange it for another unit, and see if your problems persist.  If you think about it, if any significant # of NC owners were experiencing the pain you've been going through (and tolerating), this Forum would be nothing more than a bash-fest.

Let us know how your replacement NC turns out for you.

- Mark