Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats

Re: What you would want in the Nook Color 1.3 update.

LANDSCAPE landscape landscape.

Did I say LANDSCAPE????????

And everything already posted by others....

Nook Color Wallpapers
Contributor
Section8
0 Kudos

A better brightness control - preferably one that works by sliding your finger up/down the edge of the screen, like those in fbreader & aldiko.

Correspondent
mogulman

Fix the video like it was in v1.1.  In 1.1 I could stream video at 1100kbps and have no stuttering.  With v1.2 I have to go to 512kbps to get only slight stuttering.   The video quality at 512kbps is horrible.  800kbps is minimum acceptable.  Fix it. 

New User
mmelliso

Please please enable bluetooth. I would love to "listen" to a book or watch one of my videos while on the treadmill without any wires.  Most people read books on a treadmill and the capacity for audio is already there so why leave this feature out. I am this close to switching to ipad already and selling the nook.

New User
mburam
0 Kudos

I would like to see my Barnes and Noble online Nook wishlist and Nook Color wishlist synced.  It did with my previous nook, but I did a support call with my NC, and it will not.

Inspired Contributor
postalchick
0 Kudos

A print function. Even if it is with usb cable.
Contributor
gsweely
0 Kudos

I would like a wireless print function on wab app.
Holder of life's abstracts.
Correspondent
SkipperT

I would like to see corrections for all the stuff in 1.2 that everyone here has problems with.  Is that too much to ask?  Like, get it right, before adding more problems.

A man who doesn't read has no advantage over one who can't read. - Mark Twain (paraphrased)
New User
JimRaider

I definitely would like the night theme.  It's on the phone app, but why not on the Nook itself?  I'm in the Navy and have many nights where I can't use my Nook due to the light that is thrown off even at the lowest brightness setting for both my night vision as well as my other Shipmates who are around me.  I got the Nook specifically because of the ability to have hundreds of books and not having to worry about storing them while underway, but it isn't all that great not being able to use is because of how bright it is.

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

JimRaider wrote:

I definitely would like the night theme.  It's on the phone app, but why not on the Nook itself?  I'm in the Navy and have many nights where I can't use my Nook due to the light that is thrown off even at the lowest brightness setting for both my night vision as well as my other Shipmates who are around me.  I got the Nook specifically because of the ability to have hundreds of books and not having to worry about storing them while underway, but it isn't all that great not being able to use is because of how bright it is.

Jim,

have you tried the "Night" setting in stock OS?  Is your Nook rooted and have you tried "Night" in the Nook app?

Granted, the Night mode in stock could be a solid black rather than a dark charcoal gray, but it works better than the lowest setting on "Normal." 

Jeremy

Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos

mogulman:

"Fix the video like it was in v1.1.  In 1.1 I could stream video at 1100kbps and have no stuttering.  With v1.2 I have to go to 512kbps to get only slight stuttering.   The video quality at 512kbps is horrible.  800kbps is minimum acceptable.  Fix it." 

x a million!!!!!!!

This was the biggest disappointment to me with the update. They took absolutely brilliant video in v1.1 and trashed it.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

anewelding wrote:

Honestly I could care less about all those convenience fixes. What I'd love to see is a fix thaqt actually fixes the Nook Color. Such as (And I don't know it I can the only one with these issues but...) the pages just flying past when I go to turn one page, the highlighter (like when you go to look up a word) just coming on at random moments and the worst one was when my NC locked up completely for about 45 minutes. It would not shut down, etc. NOTHING! Just fix the bugs. If you want a tablet computer, buy one. I wanted an e-reader and love the NC but the bugs drive me crazy. Fix them or you'll lose the e-reader race to the (UGH!) Kindle or another brand.

I think that you mean you couldn't care less.  :smileywink:

GDJ
Inspired Contributor
GDJ
0 Kudos

A better photo gallery.

Distinguished Correspondent
vitaminbillwebb

All I want at this point is some confirmation that the update is coming. Or for it to be released. A bugfix release would be the best, although maybe that would be 1.2.1, not 1.3. If you must change things about the device, please give on-board file management, landscape, and a true black "Night" mode. 

Distinguished Correspondent
vitaminbillwebb
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:
These are screen sensitivity issues.  If you've tried cleaning it, and they persist, you have a defective unit, and should return it for an exchange under warranty. 

Hmm... this makes me re-think my problems with highlighting. I've never been able to get the highlighter to highlight the last word on a page. Sound like a sensitivity problem? Or are others having this problem? I've also had trouble with accidental presses of hypertext footnotes. I'm meaning to longpress a word to get to the highlight screen, and instead, it's jumping to the footnote. Are these sensitivity problems or genuine problems with the highlighting functionality?

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez

American Literature 101

anewelding said, "Honestly I could care less about all those convenience fixes."  And some other stuff, cut for brevity. Beeyebickiebuy responded, "I think that you mean you couldn't care less. :smileywink: ".  My response is:  I think you mean that you think what anewelding means is that (s)he couldn't care less.

Then last week, nookloverjf said, "I would like the ability to sink with all google products like contacts, to do lists and email." To which MarkOB1 replied, "Either that, or swim.  :smileywink:   [I have a syncing feeling I'll be misunderstood.]" And my reply:  I don't know what the specific gravity of a single google product is, but I'd be willing to bet that if you add them all together, the specific gravity of all google products together is bound to be greater than 1, especially if Microsoft ever gets distracted from device manufacturer and decides to go after OS creater. So to keep the google products from syncing, one would have to reshape them and rely on displacement to keep them afloat. Alternatively, yes by propelling the google products from syncing it may very well work to propel them. Forward momentum very frequently keeps objects above water, like skipping a stone.  Oh yeah, almost forgot.....:smileywink:

@ MarkOB1 and beeyebickiebuy, ready for your final exam?  Good luck, it will be graded:

achem....

"What I want out of the 1.3 update for the Nook Color" by chuck4prez.

Firstly, I wont too bee able two have the ability to reed my NC in lanscape mode my orientating it sideways.   It's to where the NC is becoming redundant because it is effecting the charging cable where as it is overheating. This is a revelant issue expecially sense it is guiding many people to take advantage of they're warantee, than they half to wait for a trimester too get there replacement that is supposably the spitting image of their old one. That is a mute point because for all intensive purposes, the venial corporation of B&N advertized the NC with having the capability of lanscape mode. If the 1.3 update allowed this, it truly would bee a blessing in the skies.

As anewelding said, one can underestimate all of the convenience fixes, but fixing the bugs like multiplied page turns, freezing, and the highlighter just coming on at random. These are the fixes that are paramount because with out getting them snuck into the next up date, B&N would be liable to loose lots of users to a competitor like Amazon or Apple, so grab on to the reigns, B&N.  Irregardless, lanscape mode is venal in comparison to these fixes, at least until the charger issue is diffused. There just not safe, and B&N needs to take a peremtory strike before somebody sues them.

The End.

great, now my eye is twitching.

Oh yeah, and...........:smileywink:there. Have fun red-lining that one.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

Re: American Literature 101

chuck4prez wrote:

anewelding said, "Honestly I could care less about all those convenience fixes."  And some other stuff, cut for brevity. Beeyebickiebuy responded, "I think that you mean you couldn't care less. :smileywink: ".  My response is:  I think you mean that you think what anewelding means is that (s)he couldn't care less.

Then last week, nookloverjf said, "I would like the ability to sink with all google products like contacts, to do lists and email." To which MarkOB1 replied, "Either that, or swim.  :smileywink:   [I have a syncing feeling I'll be misunderstood.]" And my reply:  I don't know what the specific gravity of a single google product is, but I'd be willing to bet that if you add them all together, the specific gravity of all google products together is bound to be greater than 1, especially if Microsoft ever gets distracted from device manufacturer and decides to go after OS creater. So to keep the google products from syncing, one would have to reshape them and rely on displacement to keep them afloat. Alternatively, yes by propelling the google products from syncing it may very well work to propel them. Forward momentum very frequently keeps objects above water, like skipping a stone.  Oh yeah, almost forgot.....:smileywink:

@ MarkOB1 and beeyebickiebuy, ready for your final exam?  Good luck, it will be graded:

achem....

"What I want out of the 1.3 update for the Nook Color" by chuck4prez.

Firstly, I wont too bee able two have the ability to reed my NC in lanscape mode my orientating it sideways.   It's to where the NC is becoming redundant because it is effecting the charging cable where as it is overheating. This is a revelant issue expecially sense it is guiding many people to take advantage of they're warantee, than they half to wait for a trimester too get there replacement that is supposably the spitting image of their old one. That is a mute point because for all intensive purposes, the venial corporation of B&N advertized the NC with having the capability of lanscape mode. If the 1.3 update allowed this, it truly would bee a blessing in the skies.

As anewelding said, one can underestimate all of the convenience fixes, but fixing the bugs like multiplied page turns, freezing, and the highlighter just coming on at random. These are the fixes that are paramount because with out getting them snuck into the next up date, B&N would be liable to loose lots of users to a competitor like Amazon or Apple, so grab on to the reigns, B&N.  Irregardless, lanscape mode is venal in comparison to these fixes, at least until the charger issue is diffused. There just not safe, and B&N needs to take a peremtory strike before somebody sues them.

The End.

great, now my eye is twitching.

Oh yeah, and...........:smileywink:there. Have fun red-lining that one.

I was a bit disappointed that you did not throw in the word "like" unnecessarily in a bunch of places or misuse the word "literally" in some others.  Otherwise, it looks just like a lot of other posts on discussion boards.  :smileytongue:

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez

beeyebickiebuy wrote:

chuck4prez wrote:

-snip-

I was a bit disappointed that you did not throw in the word "like" unnecessarily in a bunch of places or misuse the word "literally" in some others.  Otherwise, it looks just like a lot of other posts on discussion boards.  :smileytongue:

Two great suggestions, an oversight on my part.
Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

A true Night background would be great.  Also, a way to get rid of the cookbook sample and the free apps I will never use would be nice.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

chuck4prez wrote:

> Have fun red-lining that one. <

No need.  Set phaser to stun.  ==>>>\***/ 

OK, now get a straight-jacket on that man, before he hurts himself.  :smileyvery-happy:

- Mark