Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

Re: What you would want in the Nook Color 1.3 update.

I don't really want a lot of new features, I just want them to evolve the existing ones.

- Fix the shelving so we can set our own orders, backup the shelving assignments to PC/Mac/Linux, heck, DO the shelving the assignments in a spreadsheet format on the connected computers ... I'd love to use Calibre's suggested sorting as a starting point for my shelf assignments or have it look up the shelf assignments according to Library of Congress catalog number and suggest that.

- Fix and retain the syncing between devices so I can keep my notes, highlights, etc. and access them across devices or between resets -- better yet, so I can export them.  Read the recent Byte piece on Amazon's Whispersync.

- Better color control over the reading app, similar to what we can do with Aldiko on my Android smartphone.

- Enable landscape mode for reading.

- Enable basic file manager functions in the My Files app.  Let me delete stuff without hooking up to the computer.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Knight of the Word, The Dark Knight Returns, Appleseed
Reader 4
book_mouse
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1

I know for a fact that not everyone has a sense of humor. That is why laughter is truly a moment to be enjoyed:smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez

Re: American Literature 101

Mark_OB1 wrote:

chuck4prez wrote:

> Have fun red-lining that one. <

No need.  Set phaser to stun.  ==>>>\***/ 

OK, now get a straight-jacket on that man, before he hurts himself.  :smileyvery-happy:

- Mark

Thank you sir, for setting phaser to stun. It could have been much worse.
Contributor
go-t
0 Kudos

Please please - with such a gorgeous screen - a better photo viewer. Folders, drag/drop, more adressible!
New User
hgusto
0 Kudos

I didn't read through all the posts, don't know if this has been said, but I wish there was a way to pick or delete the books on the shop home that they recommend, like since you bought this etc...

New User
LukasAddon
0 Kudos

Please enable bluetooth. Why you disabled it ?

Correspondent
Glitchster

1.) A keyboard with navigation keys..., , , (I'm not talking quarks here...) 2.) Email be able to empty the entire TRASH folder like the big boys', as well as, having the option to check-off (not Chekov from Star Trek) individual emails for deletion. 3.) A few more fonts to select. • I've been using SCHAUM'S Solved Problems in CALCULUS Ebook for studying. However, some math characters aren't displayed correctly... (i.e. f '(x) representing the dirivative of the function of x. The apostrophy ( ' ) after f is displayed as a box the size of the lower case letters throughout the entire text. That leads me to a fourth item... 4.) How about a nice, either embedded, scientific-graphing calculator or a decent App. The other calculator apps offered are lacking in advanced functioning.
"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy... so, take it easy..." the Eagles

... If knowledge is power, why do I have to keep recharging my ereader ?
Contributor
tekman

Ditto.....

I am not greedy, I would rather see more frequent, incremental, smaller updates than a large "fix it all" update.

There is more chances for bugs to be introduced (or re-introduced) with larger more comprehensive updates

Overall I am happy with the device, but it would be nice if they addressed at least some of our concerns / complaints / suggestions

-Lee

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

tekman wrote:

Ditto.....

"Ditto?  'Ditto', you provincial putz?"  -- Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Sorry, couldn't resist.  :smileywink:

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Knight of the Word, The Dark Knight Returns, Appleseed
Reader 4
0 Kudos

The only issue I would like to see addressed is the page slider in the ebooks. When using the finger swipe to turn a page I have a tendency to cause the slider to appear and change the page to anywhere except where I'm reading and I have to find the page I was reading. Maybe a confirmation message before actually changing the page.

Contributor
Michelle8012

I would also love to read while in landscape mode.  Fixing the video would be nice too.  And just for fun how about purple or pink with white fonts for reading?? I think a darker night screen would be nice too. 

Inspired Contributor
VAharleygirl

2 month user here....

1) Landscape for reading eBooks

2) Shelves: easier way to organize, and make them collapsible. I don't want to see books from shelves I'm not currently "using".

3) Delete apps & books that are pre-installed

4) Manipulate "my files" so that I don't have to use a separate computer when I d/l eBooks from vendors I've been using for 5 years that d/l to my iPhone & work great w/ Stanza - with no other hardware needed.

I'll echo mini-updates vs major update.  B&N: It at least shows your users you're aware of what "the public" wants.

Contributor
tekman
0 Kudos

Omnigeek wrote:

tekman wrote:

Ditto.....

"Ditto?  'Ditto', you provincial putz?"  -- Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Sorry, couldn't resist.  :smileywink:

Great Movie.....

-Lee

Reader 4
JanieLPH

Please include a fix so that we can read magazines without the screen going black and having to reboot.  A BN Engineer asked me to send my old NC back and I received a new one.  The new one does the same thing.  Have reformatted, erased and reregistered which works for a day or two and is very frustrating if you have a large library as everything has to be downloaded again.  Looks like I will have to unsubscribe from all magazines which were a premium price to begin with.  Please fix this!  Love everything else.  Words with Friends would be nice.  Thanks!

Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
0 Kudos

A way to lock shelves and/or books from my kids.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JanieLPH wrote:

Please include a fix so that we can read magazines without the screen going black and having to reboot.  A BN Engineer asked me to send my old NC back and I received a new one.  The new one does the same thing.  Have reformatted, erased and reregistered which works for a day or two and is very frustrating if you have a large library as everything has to be downloaded again.  Looks like I will have to unsubscribe from all magazines which were a premium price to begin with.  Please fix this!  Love everything else.  Words with Friends would be nice.  Thanks!

Janie -- that's odd behavior.  I've never seen that while reading National Geographic even on my old NC (I got an exchange because it did a factory reset spontaneously every couple weeks).  I love NatGeo on my NC (although it's one magazine that would clearly be better to read on a larger screen).

EDIT:  Meant to say, try taking yours in to a store and show that to the manager or Nook guru.  I bet they'll find one to exchange with you that doesn't do that.

Inspired Contributor
j_collins

Please

1. Return Friday's Free Book to Shop (this has been missing for months)

2. Return the Monthly Spotlight to Shop (this has been missing for months)

3. Don't base my "Books We Think you'll love" based on a free book that I downloaded

4. Since last update my Nook has frozen on a regular basis.

Contributor
DivineKittyCat
0 Kudos

It would be awesome if it would let me sort my books into shelves on the computer and then sync up (since I've got a NookColor and a Classic Nook, I always have to do it twice). Something like the ability to select a bunch of books from the library and move them to a shelf all at once would be a real timesaver--either on the nook itself or the computer.

Also, and I think I've asked for this before; please, please, PLEASE sync the Last Page Read on my NookColor with my Classic Nook, my Android app, and my computer app!!!  They all sync fine with each other, but nothing syncs AT ALL with the NookColor which is really frustrating.

And I'll second (or third, or fifth or whatever) the need to be able to get ride of the free samples from reading in store.

DKC

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

Most of my complaints have already been mentioned: landscape mode, making shelving easier. I also want native PDB support, but I would be happy with the addition of the Ereader.com app in the Nook store. I would also like total control over background and font colors like I have on the Nook app for my iPhone.
New User
Reannon
0 Kudos

(1)  When editing shelves, the window that lists all my books in alphabetical order should ignore leading "an" and "the".  Have most of my books alphabetized by "The" is highly irritating.

(2) Search and sorting functions on the shopping page should be much better.  You should be able to search Nook Books easily by category, and then sort them in ways similar to what the Kindle store offers - sort by most downloaded, price low to high, price hight to low, etc.