Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Re: When Did This Become the "I Hate Barnes & Noble" Forum?

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

tuck229 wrote:

This what I have puzzled about. Since I am a secret car guy I wonder if it is like the people who if you are happy with what they see as a non cool car, like my Mazda 3 hatchback, proceed to point out that other cars that get better mileage, are more luxurious, are faster, have awd...

You have Subaru envy, don't you?  :smileyhappy:

Only the upcoming ft*^
roustabout
0 Kudos

Mark points out that the HP 100 dollar touchpad deal was too good to be true, and it was, and it's not like you can find them for that price.

But given the demand that the pricing generated, I think it forced everyone to rethink profit margins on tablets. 

I think the Touchpad price drop and subsequent interest is what got the Flyer to get down to 300.  I'll bet that the statistics Amazon had on customers, customers' historical buying habits, and those customers' searches for Touchpads in the wake of the price drop were analyzed very carefully when Amazon set the pricing on the Fire. Given the amount of data that Amazon collects on customers, it seems like that kind of projection is very possible.

On the other hand, I don't know what that department was doing when they first launched the Kindle - that initial pricing seemed nosebleed steep for a reader to me, so perhaps they go on someone's gut. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Correspondent
gnkc
0 Kudos

PeterDe wrote:

I guess I'm in the same boat as Nillia. I loved my NC. My wife bought me an iPad for my birthday and I fell in love, not only for what it can do, but also what the NC can't do. I was all excited for the last update release. However I was severely disappointed when it was apparent that BN was more interested in an advertising campaign then beta testing. The final straw was the fact that my magazine subscription was cheaper from Apple than from BN, and with more content too boot. I don't mind paying a premium, but I expect a similar experience. I guess looking for certain ebooks and not finding them at BN, but other outlets had taken their toll on me. The other day in the subway I saw an interesting sight. A man was sitting on the subway and had a NC, he was reading some type of magazine. I saw him many times swipe more then once to turn a pages, and struggle with the pinch to zoom. Next to him was a woman with an iPod. She was effortlessly turning pages and reading. Witnessing this brought home to me why I enjoy my iPad more then my nook (I still won't use it in the subway..lol). But I do enjoy my NC with CM7 on it as a research tool when I'm doing some online gaming!

I would not consider another iteration of the NC unless there was some assurance of a better, more responsive touch screen. I also frequently have to tap or swipe multiple times to get the page to turn or if the page doesn't turn and I touch or swipe again, both touches or swipes register and I get two page turns.  Pinching and panning are erratic at best.  And also an improved charging mechanism is needed.

Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

The rooted versions of Android, especially CM7.1, address that issue pretty well.

New User
Prole

[ Edited ]

>> When Did This Become the "I Hate Barnes & Noble" Forum?

For me, it was about the time I discovered that the Nook Tablet was locked into being merely a portable BN kiosk, for use ONLY with BN money-making ventures and partners.  I had hints of this early on.  But yesterday's 1.4.1 'upgrade' (really 'lockdown') confirmed it.  Side loading has been disabled, and previously downloaded apps (which ran in the 'alternate' universe) run. None of this is to protect against malware, or misoperation of the device by uncertified apps or software.  It is to ensure that any money spent in conjunction with the NT flows to BN in some way.  It is as if Ford embedded control software to prevent driving to an alternate dealership, or to non-Fort parts stores.

roustabout
0 Kudos

Prole:  Wrong forum.  You're in NCville here. We continue to enjoy the hardware we've had for a year.  Perhaps you should consider returning the NT (you have another month to think about it) and get the Android platform you wanted to have to start with? 

If you like the faster NT, no worries.  Read around in NT support.  Your device is rootable, and the rooted device can be set up to block OTA updates. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Contributor
carbonbiker

Omnigeek wrote:

I'm not so sure he was talking about you specifically as quite a number of people in general but good job stalking his posts to keep repeating your message.  Richard is right, there HAS been a tremendous increase in people whose sole purpose on this forum seems to be to bash the Nook.  You don't have to be a cheerleader, I certainly understand complaining about certain facets, but when you see post after post after post of negativity from a handful of people you have to wonder why 1) they bought a product that wasn't even advertised to do what they complain about it not doing and 2) why they bother coming to a forum like this.

I'm with you, Omnigeek & Richard...

I like the NC as an ereader and I consider everything else as a bonus -- not something B&N are obligated to do.  I'd have bought it just for the ereader capabilities.

Read a good nook lately?
Distinguished Correspondent
Nooksie

>>>"" I agree with Richard that people used to be able to come here for help or to get the opinions of others without feeling as though they would be attacked by other users, """<<<

That was never my experience.  I got my NookC in April and immediately came here to learn and understand what I had and what to do with it.  Believe me, I got so tired of seeing "due diligence" I was ready to scream.  I saw too many newbies whose questions soon turned to utter disappointment because everything was treated with sorn and ridicule.  By about July or so I just didn't come back anymore.

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG

I also agree.   I have the N1E as well as the Color and use them both.  I bought them also mainly to read books and everything else is a bonus for me too.   I am extemely happy with the latest Color firmware upgrade, and while their app store has fewer apps than Google or Amazon they have more than enough to fill my needs.  

As I said, I bought the Nook mainly as a reader and find myself reading more and enjoying it even more.

Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe

There are many of us that would BN to be more responsive. We would like to give BN our money, but sometimes they make it very diffcult to pay a premium price for a inferior product. The very few fanboys who post evey favorable morsel of news and scorn anything that could be construed as negative cannot keep BN afloat. Most of us speak with out pocketbook, so no matter what fluff piece is posted, the majority of us will walk away with our cash and BN will suffer. We all would like to see BN survive, however current management failed to move on the lead that they had in the Nook Color. The could have moved into new territory and created a niche market all to themseleves. They choose to give their customers very few morsels and tidbits. BN dosent have a direction and allowed others to take their lead away. They are catering to a very select few and they will suffer for that. They cannot continue on their current path and surive as a Comapny. I predict that the Nook Tablet will backfire on them, and they will not sell as many as they thought. We will never know the truth, as they don't release their sales figures. Go ahead and attack what I said, that the job of a fanboy. However you cannot hide the truth that BN is hemorrhaging. BN needs to reasses what it's goals and markets are, until then just keep attacking anything and anyone that does not fit your image of them. For that I feel sorry for you. No fluff piece can hide the truth for ever. Flame on!
Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,257

[ Edited ]

PeterDe wrote:
... They choose to give their customers very few morsels and tidbits...

Not all who disagree with you (I don't; I gave you two laurels) are fanboys.  Your message, and especially your statement above, pretty much captures the essense of it.  However, I will add:

1. A lot of companies like to control their customers, or at least what their customers due with their products (B&N, Amazon, and Apple come to mind, in varying degrees).  For some strange reason most people don't take kindly to that.  By contrast, when IBM introduced the first PC, not only was it technically open, but IBM published the source code for its firmware, and schematics for its hardware.  The world has never been the same since, and IBM is not hated like many PC companies are.
  2. B&N in particular (much more than Amazon or Apple) gives the impression of not listening or caring about their customers.  As I said in another thread, a fundamental concept in business is managing "customer expectations".  There are quite a few statements on these forums that reveal unrealistic expectations of customers, and B&N is apparently doing very little to manage that.  At their own peril, as you point out.
  3. Recently I was in a B&N store and asked, in an off-hand manner, how sales of the Nook Tablet were doing. My comment was more akin to asking someone "how are you today?"  Instead, the B&N employee acted like I was an industrial spy, and said, "that's proprietary information".
  4. On the flip side, I think it is very poor practice for anyone to constantly be blaming someone else for their problems (real or imagined);  it (in effect) lets them control your life.  Life is not fair, and not only can you not solve all the world's problems, you can't even solve all your own.  The best you can do is be informed and protect yourself.  In the case at hand, that means being an informed consumer.  It means not having unrealistic expectations of either products or people (or companies).  If a Nook doesn't do what it is claimed to do, contact B&N.  If it doesn't do what you think it should do, learn from it and move on.  I don't agree with the "I don't get mad;  I get even" statement, but I agree with the sentiment in the sense of controlling your own life rather than wasting emotional energy.
  5. In particular, B&N has an adequate return policy (and even better over the holidays), so the occasional "I've been cheated (or whatever)" sentiment from new buyers is at best childish and at worst personally destructive.

Finally, a comment about the "victim" mentality:  Often we see/hear about a court trial where some family has gotten "closure" because the perpetrator of a crime was convicted.  What would have happened if the perpetrator had gone free???  I heard an excellent psychologist years ago talk about this, who said that such sentiments are making the victims suffer twice;  by emotionally attaching "closure" to the fate of a trial, you are allowing the perpetrator to control you.  Mature "closure" on such an issue revolves around dealing with the issue yourself and moving on.  Most animals do not hold grudges;  shouldn't we at least do better?  Not for B&N's sake, but for our own?

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe

Dean, thanks for the laurels, I hope that I didn't imply that I thought everyone who disagrees with me is a fanboy, but there are posters who will post everyone good article about BN and believe it whole heartedly, while attacking every negtive piece by saying professional writes don't know what they are talking about. I think that they may be on BN payroll. :smileyhappy: . I'm all for open debate and criticism when it is due. For some it may be ok to wait years for BN to add certain features, I think that it is almost a crime for BN to offer its customers next to nothing as far as improvements to their Nook line. I enjoy shopping in BN, I love looking at the bargain book area, that my favorite place in the store. However that will never happen with ebooks with the current agency model. I think that BN would be better in standing up against the publishers instead of Microsoft, that will win them more customers. By being complacent in fixed pricing, that are working against their customers. So who's side is BN is on? I'm rambling on now, sorry, but to answer the question, this has not become the I hate BN forum, this is really an open debate forum, and a gauge in the direction and sentiment of its customers, and hiding behind fluff pieces is really only doing a disservice in the long run.
Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors