Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

Re: When Did This Become the "I Hate Barnes & Noble" Forum?

I enjoyed my NC immensely for what it was when I bought it. However, if it was released as is today I wouldn't own one. It no longer meets my needs and I no longer use it. Yes, I now have an iPad. If the fact that I have the gall to prefer it over my NC makes me a troll here now, well, so be it. It used to be that people here were able to be honest about negative opinions. Unfortunately, there are a couple of people here who will attack anyone who dares to come here with a problem or is otherwise unsatisfied with B&N customer support. These same couple of people will go out of their way to make anyone who needs help feel unwelcome. It's a damn shame.
Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

Well, if you are a troll, I'll be sure to bring extra cookiies when crossing the bridge.  :smileyvery-happy:  Unfriendliness is a death-knell to any forum.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

"Trolls exist.  They steal your socks.  But only the left ones.  What's up with that?"

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

If they just steal your left ones, you shold  be "all right"

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

>> Yes, I now have an iPad. If the fact that I have the gall to prefer it over my NC makes me a troll here now, well, so be it. It used to be that people here were able to be honest about negative opinions.<<

I don't think that's true at all.  When people ask for help, they get help.  It's when people say "This thing is a piece of crap!" without asking for help, that they get excoriated.  And by the way.....nothing gets you criticized around here more than saying you like your Nook Color more than the iPad  It's ok to say you prefer the iPad, but saying you prefer the Nook makes you a "fanboi." 

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

I agree that the tone of the forums here have changed drastically over the past year or so. I used to post/comment a lot more than I do now. There are quite a few "new" users who started posting which seem to have slight attitude problems and get rather defensive or snippy if everyone doesn't agree with them or follow their "rules" of the BN forums. I agree with Richard that people used to be able to come here for help or to get the opinions of others without feeling as though they would be attacked by other users, now it feels like more of a case of how long will it take for the first insulting/attacking response to be posted to someones comment or question. I'm not saying that all users or new users are like that but there are enough of them who are to make the forums less friendly (for lack of being able to come up with a better term) than they were about a year ago.
Nallia
0 Kudos

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

I have been holding that one back in reserve.  My 9 year old tells me that trolls stealing only your left socks indicates they are bad dancers.  I thought that was pretty clever for a 9 year old.  The kids pretty much quote that line liberally.

Nallia
0 Kudos

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Is some of this a difference in expectations between early adopters who frequently change gear and more mainstream buyers who feel taken advantage of when stuff becomes a little obsolete so quickly these days? It is a little disconcerting, and after all the comparison of products on an apple to apple basis is difficult when products are at different points in there development cycle. To me that what was suprising about the fire. It has + and - , but for a product introduced 12 months after the cnk its main avantage to non amazon folks is price.
roustabout

RW writes "when people say "This thing is a piece of crap!" without asking for help, that they get excoriated."

First, ask yourself:  is that a behavior you want to model, that excoriation?  Why?  The behavior helps define the tone that you're not happy about when it's directed toward you.  Second, it's often possible to figure out what the problem is even when a poster doesn't explicitly say "and this is what I need help on."  You can just suggest a different approach and model a different behavior.  Finally, there are some folks who just outrage the hivemind here.  An example was Furyu.  He had a legitimate beef with BN's CS communication chain, and both when he first ran into problems and then recently, he got completely unneccessary flak, and folks tried to fit his original problem into an either/or dichotomy that just didn't hold - he had a software update driven device failure, but it was irreparable by BN.  So he got to experience the failure twice

"And by the way.....nothing gets you criticized around here more than saying you like your Nook Color more than the iPad  It's ok to say you prefer the iPad, but saying you prefer the Nook makes you a "fanboi." "

I've posted more than once about my experience with the iPad.  I bought one the first week it was out.  File management was horrific, and it could not be used with the majority of the computers I'm around regularly, which don't run Windows or Mac OS.  It also didn't work well on my home network, because it required that I support a nonstandard networking protocol or change out my very nice security router for junk.  It was also so large that it was annoying to hold, and while it was stupid fast, I don't actually need a tablet to be that fast. I gave it to my mom, and she's delighted.  She has a very simple network and one computer.  And finally, eight decades in, she's using email.  It's great for her.  She's even reading books on it now, something I never thought I'd see - her background is in print journalism, and she used a typewriter until the day she retired. 

Yet, no one's called me a fanboi, other than me.  Perhap because although I obviously have a blast tinkering with the NC, I try not to let my thong get demonstrably knotted up between my cheeks when someone on the interschnizzle criticizes a tool I use? 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I guess I'm in the same boat as Nillia. I loved my NC. My wife bought me an iPad for my birthday and I fell in love, not only for what it can do, but also what the NC can't do. I was all excited for the last update release. However I was severely disappointed when it was apparent that BN was more interested in an advertising campaign then beta testing. The final straw was the fact that my magazine subscription was cheaper from Apple than from BN, and with more content too boot. I don't mind paying a premium, but I expect a similar experience. I guess looking for certain ebooks and not finding them at BN, but other outlets had taken their toll on me. The other day in the subway I saw an interesting sight. A man was sitting on the subway and had a NC, he was reading some type of magazine. I saw him many times swipe more then once to turn a pages, and struggle with the pinch to zoom. Next to him was a woman with an iPod. She was effortlessly turning pages and reading. Witnessing this brought home to me why I enjoy my iPad more then my nook (I still won't use it in the subway..lol). But I do enjoy my NC with CM7 on it as a research tool when I'm doing some online gaming!

Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

>>I guess I'm in the same boat as Nillia. I loved my NC. My wife bought me an iPad for my birthday and I fell in love, not only for what it can do, but also what the NC can't do.<<

That's funny, because my experience was almost exactly the opposite. I've told this before, but I got an iPad, had it home, used it....and could not get used to the awkwardness of trying to read, in bed, and out in public, on a large 10 inch screen.  I sent it back....and heard about the Nook Color. I asked for it for my birthday and received it.  Best electronic toy I've ever had.   

Distinguished Correspondent
MDD73
0 Kudos

My wife just got me the Nook Color for our anniversary (two days before the announcement of a pending announcement - oh well).  So far I really like it.  I'm not looking for a tablet.  I just want to read.  I would own a library if I could, but my wife prefers less clutter.  This is her solution, and I appreciate it.  I have already loaded several free public domain classics from Feedbooks and am checking out "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" with the original illustrations from Eltanin Publishing (great job!).  And since I also love comic books I'm trying out the "app" for Atomic Robo Vol. 1.  So far my only complaint is I wish there was a larger selection of comics.  Atomic Robo Vols. 1 and 2 are great, but they're doing Vol. 6 now.  If some enterprising editor could properly format some public domain Golden Age stuff, like Black Terror, Fighting Yank, Green Lama, (the original) Daredevil, etc, and make them available fairly cheaply, I'd be all over that.

Nallia

[ Edited ]

richardwrite25 wrote:

>>I guess I'm in the same boat as Nillia. I loved my NC. My wife bought me an iPad for my birthday and I fell in love, not only for what it can do, but also what the NC can't do.<<

That's funny, because my experience was almost exactly the opposite. I've told this before, but I got an iPad, had it home, used it....and could not get used to the awkwardness of trying to read, in bed, and out in public, on a large 10 inch screen.  I sent it back....and heard about the Nook Color. I asked for it for my birthday and received it.  Best electronic toy I've ever had.   

I think this is an important distinction that highlights the different wants/needs we all have.  I have an N2E that I do my reading on.  I never liked reading books on my NC and basically stopped reading for almost six months until I got my N2E (I lent my N1E to a friend in early February and never asked for it back).  I also don't read books on my iPad unless I absolutely have to, though I do read magazines sometimes.  But when I do read on it the size doesn't bother me--probably because I always tended to read hardcovers more than paperbacks.  The size and weight of them never bothered me.  I use my iPad for many other things, including video calling my husband when he's out of town two-three weeks out of every month (which is why my husband bought it for me for our anniversary).

I don't think the differences in preferences and usage need to cause such angst.  The fact that someone states a perference for the NC over another tablet or another tablet over the NC does not equate to an attack on anyone else's choices.  I've never understood why people feel so attacked by the different purchasing decisions of others.  Are we really so insecure in our own choices that we feel we must constantly defend them?

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

> I think the real attitude hammer dropped with the update to 1.3 and the price drop on the Touchpad to 100 bucks.  The update was 'meh' and the pricing on the NC became obviously off kilter. <

While I gave you laurels for the rest of your points, I have to disagree with you on this one.

The price on the Touchpad did not drop to $100.  The price on a discontinued product dropped to $100 to flush out the supply on hand.  If the NC was discontinued, with no more to be made, you might see the price on those units drop a lot too, to get rid of them.  In fact, it's possible you already are (based on some speculation that not all inexpensive "refurbed" NCs are actually anything but new units).

The firesale on the HP-TP was a highly unusual, one-time occurance, and IMO a rather stupid move on HP's part.  Yet many love to point to how it shifted the price point down across the board on tablets (mainly because that's something they wanted to see happen).  Huh?

Where can I go to buy one of these mythical, "game-changing" creatures for $100 today?

- Mark

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

Nallia wrote:
@Nom-de-Nook, laurels to you for quoting Craig Ferguson!

Yeah, but he left out Craig's eyebrow lift, and smirk.  :smileyhappy:

- Mark

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I don't think the differences in preferences and usage need to cause such angst.  The fact that someone states a perference for the NC over another tablet or another tablet over the NC does not equate to an attack on anyone else's choices.  I've never understood why people feel so attacked by the different purchasing decisions of others.  Are we really so insecure in our own choices that we feel we must constantly defend them?

This what I have puzzled about. Since I am a secret car guy I wonder if it is like the people who if you are happy with what they see as a non cool car, like my Mazda 3 hatchback, proceed to point out that other cars that get better mileage, are more luxurious, are faster, have awd. Often comparing cars that are much more expensive or different significantly larger or smaller. We buy the item we think meets our needs at the price we our willing to pay. IPADS are a better product for many purposes, they do things my CNK cannot. Just like cars sometimes we are introduced to features that entice us to move upmarket, sometime, at least for me you return to a less featured product. I found that leather, sunroofs, bigger and more powerfull cars just meant more to worry about. For me that is what the CNK is. A great ereader that does other things acceptably. I kind of got offtrack here. My real point is it seems that if your priorities or budget is different people seem to feel that their values are being criticized. It is my impression that this is more of a guy thing? My forum experience is limited so maybe thats my bias.
keriflur

[ Edited ]

It's been my experience that in any forum where people come for help with a product you're going to find a lot of haters who feel they've been wronged by the company and can't wait to let others know about it.  I tend to think that these people have nothing better to do, which to me is really sad.  There are also a lot of people who will go to a forum for a product that they feel is a lesser product than the one they own, just so they can mock the owners of the lesser product, which in turn makes them feel superior.  This is also really sad.

IMO most of the people in these forums are here for legitimate discussion of the product.  That said, there are also quite a few people who take comments a little too personally.

If you think I'm talking about you, then I probably am. :smileysurprised:

Keep in mind that when you get worked up about something you read on the internet, you're getting worked up about the opinion of a stranger.  Ask yourself why you care so much what that stranger thinks of you, your opinion or your purchase.  Because honestly, it really shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Correspondent
tuck229
0 Kudos

This what I have puzzled about. Since I am a secret car guy I wonder if it is like the people who if you are happy with what they see as a non cool car, like my Mazda 3 hatchback, proceed to point out that other cars that get better mileage, are more luxurious, are faster, have awd...

You have Subaru envy, don't you?  :smileyhappy: