Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

When Did This Become the "I Hate Barnes & Noble" Forum?

When I first came to this forum in March, it was a fun and helpful place.  People shared their love for the Nook, for physical bookstores, and they offered tips to make better use of the Nook Color.  Recently, there has arisen a regular chorus of critics, usually the same few people, who respond to every thread by telling why Barnes & Noble or the Nook sucks.  They don't offer tips on how you can better use your device. They ust tell you why an iPad or a Kindle or a Flyer or some other device are clearly better and why you are misinformed to believe otherwise.  

Can we create a thread, make it a "sticky," and move all of these whiners to one spot and keep the rest of the forum devoted to what it was created for? 

Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture

Re: When Did This Become the "I Hate Barnes & Noble" Forum?

They all work for Amazon, own stock in Amazon, or have pre-ordered the kindle fire... :smileytongue:
Inspired Contributor
scosgt

[ Edited ]

Obviously you are talking about me again. Once again, the STALKER RIDES.

SO I'll make it easy.

NOOK *bleep*

OK, are you happy now?

Sheesh, for someone who is supposedly a "reader" you have an awful low tolerance of anyones opinion that does not agree with your own.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

scosgt wrote:

SO I'll make it easy.

NOOK SUCKS

OK, are you happy now?

Sheesh, for someone who is supposedly a "reader" you have an awful low tolerance of anyones opinion that does not agree with your own.

I'm not so sure he was talking about you specifically as quite a number of people in general but good job stalking his posts to keep repeating your message.  Richard is right, there HAS been a tremendous increase in people whose sole purpose on this forum seems to be to bash the Nook.  You don't have to be a cheerleader, I certainly understand complaining about certain facets, but when you see post after post after post of negativity from a handful of people you have to wonder why 1) they bought a product that wasn't even advertised to do what they complain about it not doing and 2) why they bother coming to a forum like this.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Inspired Contributor
scosgt

Omnigeek wrote:

scosgt wrote:

SO I'll make it easy.

NOOK SUCKS

OK, are you happy now?

I'm not so sure he was talking about you specifically as quite a number of people in general but good job stalking his posts to keep repeating your message.  Richard is right, there HAS been a tremendous increase in people whose sole purpose on this forum seems to be to bash the Nook.  You don't have to be a cheerleader, I certainly understand complaining about certain facets, but when you see post after post after post of negativity from a handful of people you have to wonder why 1) they bought a product that wasn't even advertised to do what they complain about it not doing and 2) why they bother coming to a forum like this.

to answer your questions somewhat:

I have owned a NC since Feb. I have NEVER said it's no good or it sucks (except above to make a point). 

I merely said that it is not the top of the heap that it once was, being around one year old. In dogs, supposedly one year = seven human years.

If that is so, in computers one year = 20 human years. Technology seems to get old that fast.

I quite innocently posted a review of the HTC Flyer I bought because I was quite pleased with it, AND because I ASSUMED that people who own a NC and have rooted/bought a N2A card etc would be INTERESTED in hearing about a 7" tablet running Gingerbread, which is what many of our Nooks have been hacked to run.

But, apparently, that OFFENDED RichardWrong25. How dare anyone say anything good about anything other than his beloved Nook Color?

So sorry to disappoint you. I am not a B&N hater. Not at all.

But just for the record, if the NC2 runs as nicely and quickly and error free as the Flyer, and also does all the B&N stuff, it will be a winner. IF people have to root it to get Android functionality, I am not so sure that is a good thing at this point in time. There are MANY Android tablets out there which can READ, and prices are dropping. By Black Friday, I expect some of them will be around $200. So how is a $350 locked up ereader going to make it, if that is what it is?

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Actually there is speculation of a $50 Android tablet for Black Friday.  It could be one of those really cheap offbrands with a resistive screen and older version of Android but...

Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

Actually there is speculation of a $50 Android tablet for Black Friday.  It could be one of those really cheap offbrands with a resistive screen and older version of Android but...

I think I have seen some on bensbargains for well under $100

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

I think in todays world there is a real issue in cutomer service in general. There are two parts to it. The first is unrealisic expectations, supported by that ridiculous old saw, the customer is always right. The second is the belief in the business world that customers will not pay fot service. Companies have responded by cutting customer service to the bone, and outsourcing it when possible. They focus on courtesy and make any response beyond that difficult to obtain. BN is actually above average. After multiple negative experiences, with different companies, I think people tend to try and strike back. Espcially when dealing online, many companies don't even supply contact phone numbers, and the ones that do often only have automated responses. Its time companies return to including live service people, especially for US based, or for firms doing business here. Good service should just be a basic cost of doing business. Right now our time is used as a free resource. In the end I feel I often pay for products twice, upfront purchase price and a second payment in my time. When people are not given reasonable ways to resolve issues, then forum trashing, which they know hurts the company is a way to get even.
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

My only CS experience with BN was very positive.  My wife's refurb N1E developed a bad screen in a week.  The CS person understood the problem and sent a replacement that arrived inside a couple days.  The replacement works great, it actually got the 1.7 update before my N1E did and it updated fine.  No problems.

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

As this forum is Owned, and Operated by Barnes and Noble, they do reserve ultimate Editorial authority.  Any post can be done with as they please.  In practice, they could ban all discussion of rooting, alternate boot operating systems, competitive hardware, off topic posts in general, technical support issues of any device.  Such limitation and editorial restraint might turn off many readers.... or might not.  It is also noteworthy that guidelines have been posted to make reading these forums easier for B&N support staff.  These guidelines have pretty much summarily been disposed of except for the occasional post.  IT SHOULD ALSO BE NOTED THAT PERSONAL ATTACKS ARE AGAINST POSTING RULES.  This should be respected by ALL

Should the mods also move any "repeat topic" posts to the related tree of topics, for example, "NookFriends", anything wifi, anything lilbrary, anything apps, ect. ect?  The funny thing is, even when trolls do post, the best answer is not to answer, yet there are usually plenty of counter-attacks, which only fuel circular arguements.  

The Nook hardware does not suck, but there is room for improvement, thats been covered plenty, although many posters dont go to the trouble of searching the archived posts for their problems possible resolution, they simply start a new thread.   

While comparisons to other products might be useful for future shoppers, overenthusiasm for "other" products and rebuttals can be counterproductive.  Many of these can be subjective, as opinions on products can vary, depending on the conditions they are tried in.

The Nook software does not completely suck, and is designed as a closed system for a reason or two.  This is the most changeable part of the device as far as design goes, and as such, suggestions for  improvements should be listened to, or clarified why these improvements cannot be implemented.

Have you noticed the abundance of "new product announcement posts" that have started, rather than add to the ones already started?  Should these be pooled also?    We could make Alex and Sam really really busy handling things here, if we wanted to, or , we can moderate by not commenting, moderate by "ignore user" or moderate by report abuse when needed.  Hopefully the last option remains unneeded for the most part.  There are plenty of subthreads I've just overlooked because they do not interest me.  I find it pretty easy to just not click on them and move to the next post that does.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

>>While comparisons to other products might be useful for future shoppers, overenthusiasm for "other" products and rebuttals can be counterproductive. <<

I agree.  With the example of the HTC Flyer, contrary to what one person said, I never responded to his first post praising that tablet.  Only after he made multiple such posts did it appear to me that he was deliberately spamming for HTC. And only then did I comment. 

Wordsmith
doncr

Voice dissent about the shortcomings of the NC on these forums has proven productive.  Case in point is the cookbook sample that couldn't be removed.  There was plenty of whining about this blunder here in these forums and lo and behold it was no longer present after the latest OS update.

Furthermore, I don't see much difference between someone that talks about how happy they are with a rooted Nook compared to someone who has dumped the stock NC device and bought another tablet and installs the BN eReader to read their BN content.  In both cases, BN managment is going to get valuable feedback in these forums as to why the stock Nook Color didn't cut it and might address this with a future device or OS update.  What's wrong with that?

That being said, I don't think it's particularly effective for someone who has a Kindle (that is incapable of even accessing BN eContent) to come here and espouse the NC's shortcomings compared to their device.  That's simply fanboi trolling and we would be wise to just ignore them.  I personally don't mind when someone makes a post about how they tried to get their NC to do something, gave up and then bought a competing device such as a Kindle.  I think that's valuable feedback for BN, but to repeatedly make posts in these forums about how great their new Kindle is counterproductive.

Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

richardwrite25 wrote:

>>While comparisons to other products might be useful for future shoppers, overenthusiasm for "other" products and rebuttals can be counterproductive. <<

I agree.  With the example of the HTC Flyer, contrary to what one person said, I never responded to his first post praising that tablet.  Only after he made multiple such posts did it appear to me that he was deliberately spamming for HTC. And only then did I comment. 

Actually, I mentioned it tangentally in another post and you freaked out. BUT, as stated above, it is an alternative that runs the B&N software, therefore fair game.

As well, I am finding that certain apps run differently on the two devices (different menus come up, different functionality) which I think is of great interest to people who root/CM7, as there may be more updates in the future we can look at.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

>>Actually, I mentioned it tangentally in another post and you freaked out. BUT, as stated above, it is an alternative that runs the B&N software, therefore fair game.

As well, I am finding that certain apps run differently on the two devices (different menus come up, different functionality) which I think is of great interest to people who root/CM7, as there may be more updates in the future we can look at.<<

If so, then it's just as much "fair game" for me to trash the HTC Flyer.....yet you got quite upset when I did so. 

In fact, people get upset when I criticize the iPad here, too....even though both run the Nook app. 

Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

richardwrite25 wrote:

>>Actually, I mentioned it tangentally in another post and you freaked out. BUT, as stated above, it is an alternative that runs the B&N software, therefore fair game.

As well, I am finding that certain apps run differently on the two devices (different menus come up, different functionality) which I think is of great interest to people who root/CM7, as there may be more updates in the future we can look at.<<

If so, then it's just as much "fair game" for me to trash the HTC Flyer.....yet you got quite upset when I did so. 

In fact, people get upset when I criticize the iPad here, too....even though both run the Nook app. 

Of course that is fair game, and no, I don't get upset. Now, some people (possibly you?) have stated that the NC is "better" than the iPad. No, it is NOT. Nor does it cost anywhere near as much. That is NOT trashing the NC. It is a simple statement of fact. Each has it's place.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

[ Edited ]

If the two of you would consider focusing on critiques of apps, devices and vendors in preference to critiques of one another, that might help.  Throwing around munged variants of handles, claiming folks are spamming, etc. is pointless. 

FWIW, I may well have been the first to point out that the 7" flyer was available at a very interesting price point of 300, a few weeks after the Touchpad price cuts. 

As far as tone change, I think a series of things has happened in the last 6 months:

- the app store opened months ago, and there are still very few available apps

- BN has munged a number of very high-profile apps - Epicurious and apparently now Scrabble

- another software release came, and brought very little of value to customers in terms of new functionality (it brought something of value to BN, subscriptions to more-expensive magazines)

- there have been decisions getting made that make new customers feel that they've been ripped off, unless they see the explanation - the change from a 5G user / 1G data partition to a 1G user / 5 G data partition scheme has not been explained well, judging by the confusion posters here have around the change.

- Personally, I was bothered by the particular example of BN ignoring mail from a customer with a disability who was trying to get explanations of very simple stuff (how can a person with no right arm mobility turn pages easily from the left side?  It's simple, the gesture is there, but BN support was nonresponsive, to the point where the poster thought that new development was needed.) 

- The rollout of 1.2, the problems it created for some folks' wireless, BN not communicating that well internally and not making a supported fix available for months - that was handled incredibly poorly. 

- obviously, for me personally, the continuing failure to deliver a viable landscape mode for reading books is an annoyance.

- ebook pricing for non-agency press books.  BN is charging a very large markup on books from academic presses, for instance.  I've posted concrete examples before, but look at Norman Cohn's work from the Oxford University Press - BN wants twice as much money as Amazon does.  And this is a pattern I've seen on several occasions when looking for a book from a non-agency (esp. academic) press. A premium for being BN is one thing;  20 bucks for a book I can get for 10 elsewhere is another. 

- no Spanish language interface on the NC, after patting itself on the back for the Spanish language ebook selection. And the Spanish language ebook selection's pretty weak, weaker than Amazon's - I have a list around of many books from many authors, originally published in Spanish, and their availability on the two sites.  Amazon's doing a better job.  BN is doing a better job translating romance novels. 

All of that, together with the device itself  having become older and still relatively expensive technology is not going to add up to the level of enthusiasm the device had 6 months ago. Folks were hoping for a device from a fairly responsive company;  what we have is a device which is great if you're prepared to do a lot of self-service; stock, it's a pretty good e reader and a pretty lousy tablet.

At 135-150 for a refurb it's a good buy.  At 250 for a new device, it'd be an outlay I'd regret making today.  It's certainly not an outlay I regret having made up front, and I'm glad that people continue to find the information at http://nookworks.blogspot.com to be useful. 

I think the real attitude hammer dropped with the update to 1.3 and the price drop on the Touchpad to 100 bucks.  The update was 'meh' and the pricing on the NC became obviously off kilter. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

That, yes!

Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

agree. 

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

This is excellent. BN has my money for the nook, nook color and even though both of those devices now sit on the shelf, I continue to buy books with their app on my iPad. Roustabout clearly states all the reasons why I should have bought an iPad in the first place, but I thought I was being frugal.
Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

FWIW: I still love my nookcolor...it does all of things that I expected it to do when I bought it, now it does even more, and it hasn't given me technical problems that an infrequent restart won't fix. Oh, and my little kindergartener still loves hers, too! Peace!
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!