Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
NookieColor
0 Kudos

Where To Put Sideload Update??

Ok. I had to reboot my nook color and I downloaded the 1.1 update onto my laptop.  I open my device when the nook is plugged in to laptop and there are 6 different folders.  Now where do you drop the zip folder?  Sorry I have never sideloaded anything.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Re: Where To Put Sideload Update??

Contributor
NookieColor
0 Kudos

Unfortunately that is where I have put it in.  After the first time I opened the Nook on my laptop again and the update isn't even listed there now.  Should it still show up there if you look?  How long does it take for the update to start after you eject your Nook?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

It should start within a few minutes of it going to sleep.

See this thread:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/New-NookColor-won-t-update-to-1-1...

Some people were having issues with the B&N download and had to download the file from a mirror site.

Contributor
NookieColor
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for your help.  I was thinking about all the android talk but with the rate I'm going I probably shouldn't even try it! LOL!

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

NookieColor wrote:

Thank you so much for your help.  I was thinking about all the android talk but with the rate I'm going I probably shouldn't even try it! LOL!

Well, it would help if B&N would fix their own corrupt update file.

Let us hope the app store escapade comes off better.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Contributor
NookieColor
0 Kudos

Ok I downloaded it from the other link and it still hasn't updated yet.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong at this point.

Contributor
NookieColor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Still has not updated.  Do I have to delete the folder lost.dir in the nook directory?

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

If you downloaded it from alternate site. You have to rename the file

Renamed file Sideload_update_1-1.zip to Sideload_update.zip plugged in my nook and dragged file to root of device 'My nook." Make sure if you have a SD card don't put it on there but the actual nook.

Eject device and within 2-3 mins. Started to do the Update Thing!

Now at 1.1.0 from 1.0.0.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Contributor
NookieColor
0 Kudos

I am about ready to toss this thing out the window!  At this point I am so sorry I rebooted.  I changed the name and it still isn't downloading on my Nook.  I might go to B&N and see if they can help me.  Thank you everyone for all the info I really appreciate you helping =)

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

I posted earlier the way I did it: I attached my usb cable from my PC to my NC and downloaded the file on the B&N website directly to the main directory on the NC.  Worked immediately.

Contributor
NookieColor
0 Kudos

@ richardwrite25

GENIUS!!  Thank you so much =)