Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
netscorer

Where are the improvements to the core eReader?

I did not have big expectations for the new update. I knew all along that we would get a limited selection of the apps and may have to overpay for some of them. There are many topics on this forum that concentrate on that area and it is better to leave that discussion there. What I was hoping for, though were the improvements to the core functionality of the Nook - the Reader and the Library. After all, everybody keeps saying - this is not a regular tablet it's an eReader first. And this is fine with me.

So far, besides the frankly useless turn page animation I have failed to see any improvements in either eReader or Library. Maybe I have not looked long enough - had just 1 hour playing with the functionality last nights after installing update. But some of the long-wanted stuff has never materialized. Let's see:

- Library still fails to manage big selections of books. I have 200+ books (not that many comparing to some on this board). All I have to organize them are shelves and they are as user unfriendly as before. I still can not quickly filter my books by category, author, series or any other meta-attributes that are embedded in the ePub format (and embedded specifically for a reason to simplify library management). I can sort, but this is quite different from filtering, as even after sorting there is quite a lot of scrolling to get to your books. And sorting parameters are few.

- Nook still refuses to display cover images for my own books. Given that some books have long titles and many books in a series only differ by number at the end of the title, it makes recognizing books on the shelves a chore. Why is that? Personal B&N vendetta against books not bought at B&N or just incompetence on their part?

- PDF support is as bad as it used to be. They have added dedicated PDF viewer now (which I have not had a chance to test yet) but people are already reporting of it's limitations.

- formatting options within Reader are still limited. Night mode (my favorite even during the day) is still not as good as with other readers and both font types and sizes are still quite limited.

- I like to have landscape option for some of my books. Everyone may have their own reason why. For me, it is the preference in holding the nook with one hand - it just seems esier in landscape. I guess we would need to wait another 6 months for this to finally come in.

- references within the books are still buggy. Many times I press a reference link to the end of the book but have no way of going back to the page I was just reading. This makes me hesitant pressing references anymore as finding my way back takes time and distracts from reading experience.

These are my personal experiences. Others on this board have additional complaints (like better working thesaurus), but I would not be frank if I would compile and list all other complaints here as I did not have a chance to see if these were improved in any significant way.

Frequent Contributor
rmsmi
0 Kudos

Re: Where are the improvements to the core eReader?

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

[ Edited ]

Yep totally agree and was dismayed and disappointed in the upgrade.

And for many of the reasons you stated.

I voiced my disappointment in other threads and was berated as a negative nanny. And lumped in with the everyone wanting an an android tablet. No..ooo I want a upgraded and fixed e-reader device. The other stuff is just the icing. And what good is icing if the cake isn't good?

It seems your Anathema if you mention anything negative and told your a whinner and low self-esteem and such. And have to duck for all the flying praises,kisses and hugs for the update.

Sorry as far as I'm concerned the so called major upgrade was more flash (pun intended)  & Trash. Then improving the e-reader part.

I will be off to autonooter land when they realease for the 1.2.0 firmware.

Might want to but some line-feed returns between paragraphs to make it more readable. But am in agreement with you.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Wordsmith
SCIONTX

[ Edited ]

I'm in complete agreement with you (netscorer). I wanted a significantly improved reader app and library management (metadata recognition). That is the reason I rooted in December. I would have loved to return to stock functionality. Thought I would have been able to do so with this update. Nope. It's disappointing what they're passing off as a reader app and library.

Frequent Contributor
netscorer

Orb and Scion,
thanks for your reply. Glad to hear that we are staying hungry and not satisfied and pushing B&N to greater heights. Orb, I like your analogy with an icing on the cake - it perfectly sums up what challenges B&N still has to polish the user experience on their tablet.
The most surprising aspect to me was that there was a very big delay from the previous update (provided sometime in February if I am not mistaken) and so it fed everyone's expectations of some truly great things to come. B&N had more then enough time to work on the Library and Reader apps and they chose not to. Either they are satisfied with what they have now or they decided to divert the limited resources in speeding up Android 2.2 update and App market launch. In both cases they failed to address the most devoted group of owners - book lovers.

Frequent Contributor
Catfanatic1979v1

If I could tap a button and sort my samples from my full purchases that way , it would be bliss.

Reader 2
Alfnook

netscorer wrote:

- references within the books are still buggy. Many times I press a reference link to the end of the book but have no way of going back to the page I was just reading. This makes me hesitant pressing references anymore as finding my way back takes time and distracts from reading experience.

I had the same problem until I discovered that it is too simple. Just touch the reference to return to your place.

Frequent Contributor
netscorer

Alfnook,

I just tried this on my Nook, using one of the books I had problem with. Nope. Still nothing. When I press referecnce link it takes me to the book end to the proper reference. I also see small icon, labeled 'Back' that float at the top of the page. If i don't press that icon within 5 seconds it disappears and then there is no way for me to go back. I try pressing the reference article but is is not clickable. Any touch presses just lead me to the prev or next page, depending on where I touch the screen. So maybe some books have references working properly and some don't. At least if the 'Back' icon would not disappear I would always have an easy way out.

But thanks for the advise anyway.

Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis

netscorer wrote:

Alfnook,

I just tried this on my Nook, using one of the books I had problem with. Nope. Still nothing. When I press referecnce link it takes me to the book end to the proper reference. I also see small icon, labeled 'Back' that float at the top of the page. If i don't press that icon within 5 seconds it disappears and then there is no way for me to go back. I try pressing the reference article but is is not clickable. Any touch presses just lead me to the prev or next page, depending on where I touch the screen. So maybe some books have references working properly and some don't. At least if the 'Back' icon would not disappear I would always have an easy way out.

But thanks for the advise anyway.

Jumping in here because I had a book with references that acted like that. Next book I bought it worked fine.

My signature line is better than your signature line.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220

Is there a specific autonooter progress thread over at xda?

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/