Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
mrts511
0 Kudos

Wheres the flippin update already,,,I think its time to root

Had my nookcolor since Christmas,,,waiting and waiting for the update , have not rooted yet because i am not tech savy...but maybe its time to take the plunge and try the autonooter sd card thing everyone is talking about. I have been reading alot about it.. Do you think that is the easiest way to go for someone who is new to all this rooting stuff??
Correspondent
crenita
0 Kudos

Re: Wheres the flippin update already,,,I think its time to root

find a  hot shot high schooler..to help you if you nervous.... they are as smart as any of them.. the instructions are in a youtube video and even  a dum dum's like me was able to do it in less than 10 min.

. I did the autonooter version which is totally safe option. but you won't have flash video yet.. but it works just fine for me.. when and if the update arrives will assess if they have something I need... but have loads of apps on mine and works just FINE.. and only expense was the cost of the Micro Sd card and  adapter for the computer.. less than $15.... then I scrubbed the  card and now have a 16 gig SD card to load up my video's and pictures and music...

Nook Color best investment for me in a long time...

Frequent Contributor
mercury1965
0 Kudos

I'm new to rooting and I have learned alot from other forums; xda, android central and tons of links. It took me a week of research, off and on, to make the decision. I rooted my NC about a month ago. If I were you, I would do some research (simple start by googling) and pay attention of what has been posted. Don't assume that one thread from one forum will show you everything about rooting. You will need to understand why to root, how to root, how to use the NC with new tools, and lastly, how to unroot (you probably won't want to). Good luck.

Frequent Contributor
mrts511
0 Kudos

:smileyindifferent:thanks,,just like everyone else I am afraid of doing something wrong and bricking it,,but I did watch the video on utube, the one with the guy that everyone knows (cant remember his name) and it looked pretty easy....so maybe I will try it

Distinguished Correspondent
lvmync
0 Kudos

Here are a couple of links, like you I haven't rooted, I've only had my NC since March so I'm not at the "biting my nails, must have the update now" stage. But I've been grabbing information as it appears so I hope these help. :smileywink:

This is from the forum and has several links inside.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/Just-call-me-chicken-I-am-scared...

This one is from the Android forum.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-faq/9879-intro-so-you-bought-nookcolor-now-what-aka-c...

American by birth, Texan by the grace of my Parents.
Frequent Contributor
mrts511
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy:thank you

DeeV
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I wanna root using the autonooter, but what will happen when the update comes through and what are the draw backs of update happening on a rooted NC?

Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

DeeV wrote:

I wanna root using the autonooter, but what will happen when the update comes through and what are the draw backs of update happening on a rooted NC?

No one's quite sure. What I've done is disable Over the Air updates (OTA) and will wait until a pre-rooted version of the update appears on XDA and apply that. The other option will be to un-root and then apply the update to and wait for the XDA community to develop another root.

DeeV
0 Kudos

Serolf_Divad wrote:

DeeV wrote:

No one's quite sure. What I've done is disable Over the Air updates (OTA) and will wait until a pre-rooted version of the update appears on XDA and apply that. The other option will be to un-root and then apply the update to and wait for the XDA community to develop another root.

That is the one thing that has held me back with being a concern. i have searched and searched for a answer to this and finally just asked. Thanks for your feedback...might have to rethink this with that in mind. Sure enough my wifi will be popped on accidently and that will be when the update hits..just the way my luck goes:smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Contributor
Champagne_Girl

[ Edited ]

mrts511 wrote:
Had my nookcolor since Christmas,,,waiting and waiting for the update , have not rooted yet because i am not tech savy...but maybe its time to take the plunge and try the autonooter sd card thing everyone is talking about. I have been reading alot about it.. Do you think that is the easiest way to go for someone who is new to all this rooting stuff??

I'm one who would advise using an abundance of caution while making this decision. I am very tech savvy and while there are great instructions all over the web, my experience was that the instructions and videos make certain assumptions about your computer hardware/browser/sdhc that may or may not be true. For instance, I have a 64-bit Windows 7 OS--and I did not find any autonootering instructions that worked for me.

The problem is that you don't always know that something isn't going to work until you push the button. Yes, there are all sorts of instructions that will get you back to "stock" but there are times those instructions don't work right away or don't work at all. For instance, since I couldn't use Autonooter, I decided to root using Froyo 2.2.1. Because I'm computer savvy, I KNEW that I could change the OS of the NC without too much trouble. What I didn't know (but should have)--was that once you change the physical OS of the NC (like I did), the "reset back to factory" instructions all over the web do not work. It is not simply an 8 interrupted boots plus power+n reset.

Please visit  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=914690 and read through the thread. If you don't understand what they are talking about AND you have no desire to learn what they are talking about, I'd caution you to wait to see what the NC update brings before you take the plunge. Also ask yourself why you want to root--and what applications you want to add. If you don't know what you would really do with a rooted nook, there is no sense taking a chance and potentially voiding your warranty in the process.

I took more time researching how to get back to stock than I spent researching all the things that could go wrong if the rooting didn't work out like I wanted. In the end, there were too many things that could have gone wrong getting back to stock, that it wasn't worth it to me to do it. I went out and purchased a 2nd NC because I liked what I had, better than what I ended up with.

However, with that said, with the way I rooted my original NC--I am able to watch TV episodes that require Flashplayer (not supported with autonooter) and I can listen to my Audible books. Problem with those two things--I already have devices that do those things more efficiently.

If all goes well in the universe, rooting can be fun and exciting. If something goes wrong it can be a real nightmare. There are some (including me) who think that "tweaking" gadgets is fun and it's our hobby, MadScntst spent about 48 hours trying to fix his NC--I spent about 6 trying to fix mine before I decided I'd just buy a 2nd one. If trying to fix it--when you think you've broken it--sounds like fun to you--go for it.

Otherwise, step away from the temptation. It is nearly impossible to "brick" these things--but ask yourself if you want to (unintentionally) be the first. To me "bricking" occurs when the user decides that he/she doesn't understand what it will take to bring it back. Someone else may be able to fix it--but if you don't have the experience or perseverance, it's still going to be "bricked" for you.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"For instance, I have a 64-bit Windows 7 OS--and I did not find any autonootering instructions that worked for me."

Hmmm  I have 64-bit Windows 7 and used autonooter 3.0 and just used this video with clicking the show more below the video and had the intructions for my stock 1.1.0. And worked fine for me no problems with winimage,writing image to SD card and booting up with SD card in the nook.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Contributor
Champagne_Girl

orb9220 wrote:

"For instance, I have a 64-bit Windows 7 OS--and I did not find any autonootering instructions that worked for me."

Hmmm  I have 64-bit Windows 7 and used autonooter 3.0 and just used this video with clicking the show more below the video and had the intructions for my stock 1.1.0. And worked fine for me no problems with winimage,writing image to SD card and booting up with SD card in the nook.

Exact same video that I tried to use--but winimage would not recognize the sdhc.

There are a lot of variables involved and enough people who have had problems trying to root and trying to unroot. I think the "go for it" attitude needs to be tempered sometimes.  I think this is especially true when someone admits, upfront, to "not being tech savvy."

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor:_Nookie_Froyo_Tips

The above is recommended reading for anyone who is thinking about rooting using Nookie Froyo. It does not apply to autonooter because, as I've said, I wasn't able to root using that method. If I'd read the link above before I rooted to Froyo, I never would have done it. It worked out fine--absolutely no problems doing it. It was when I wanted to unroot that I ran into the research I wish I'd seen before I made the choice.

Again, I'm not saying, "don't root." I successfully rooted. I just like the original product better than the rooted version that I chose. There hasn't been anything that I've seen in the Android Marketplace that was worth giving up the fuctionality of the unrooted NC. Perhaps it's because I already own devices that take care of all my other needs.:smileysurprised:

I realize I may be in the minority...but if someone's not sure whether root, I think they should read more than I did before I did it. I got carried away by all the enthusiasm without really analyzing why I bought the NC.

Frequent Contributor
mercury1965
0 Kudos

I have Windows 7, 64-bit, used Win32diskimager and Winrar 64-bit, and so far, have never had a problem rooting. I did, however update my NC from the B&N site to 1.1, first. After there, I used Huskermania's installation methods (youtube) to root; Eclair then, Gingerbread (Thanks Alex). And I agree, it was more difficult to find the info to take my NC back to stock.

But I did find the information...

You can use Huskermania's method to unroot Eclair. It's simple and to the point.

To unroot Froyo (Gingerbread) back to stock, I used this video;

http://theunlockr.com/2011/02/14/how-to-restore-the-nook-color-to-stock/ (Thank you David Cogen for a great video). This process will take everything off of your NC, but it will be stock factory fresh.

Inspired Contributor
Champagne_Girl
0 Kudos

mercury1965 wrote:

I have Windows 7, 64-bit, used Win32diskimager and Winrar 64-bit, and so far, have never had a problem rooting. I did, however update my NC from the B&N site to 1.1, first. After there, I used Huskermania's installation methods (youtube) to root; Eclair then, Gingerbread (Thanks Alex). And I agree, it was more difficult to find the info to take my NC back to stock.

But I did find the information...

You can use Huskermania's method to unroot Eclair. It's simple and to the point.

To unroot Froyo (Gingerbread) back to stock, I used this video;

http://theunlockr.com/2011/02/14/how-to-restore-the-nook-color-to-stock/ (Thank you David Cogen for a great video). This process will take everything off of your NC, but it will be stock factory fresh.

Thanks for this. It's very helpful.