Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
tjacker31
0 Kudos

Re: Why should I purchase an E-magazine when I can get the print version for less?

donc13 wrote: 

Easy answer....don't buy the NC version.

However, understand....that $12/year is likely a first year ONLY price.   Better known as a loss leader.    And, can you cancel that subscription and get refunded for non-delivered copies?

Yes, the NG on the NC is $2/issue as a subscriber....but I pay only once a month, and can stop the subscription anytime I wish....and thus....pay no more fees.

On their own website....as of now, digital or print subscriptions are $15/year.

In any event...the top line here....is the bottom line for you....not happy with the price here, don't buy it here.

I just received an offer from Zinio for NG at $1.25 an issue, but you pay the $15 up front and I am not sure you can cancel at any time either. However, as I mentioned before, Zinio's format is much easier to navigate. Hopefully, we will see the quality of NC's app match Zinio's in the future - particarly when it comes to selection. Also, some interactive features would be nice.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Re: Why should I purchase an E-magazine when I can get the print version for less?

donc13 wrote:

Science_man wrote:

I just received a mailer from National Geographics offering me a one year subscription for $12   plus a "free" map (whoohoo!)

Barnes and Nobles sells the electronic version of National Geographics for $2/month

So much for enticing me to purchase e-magazines!

E-magazines should be cheaper than print versions since there's no paper,  printing, storage, or shipping cost.   I could understand if they removed all the adds, but that's not even the case.

Easy answer....don't buy the NC version.

However, understand....that $12/year is likely a first year ONLY price.   Better known as a loss leader.    And, can you cancel that subscription and get refunded for non-delivered copies?

Yes, the NG on the NC is $2/issue as a subscriber....but I pay only once a month, and can stop the subscription anytime I wish....and thus....pay no more fees.

On their own website....as of now, digital or print subscriptions are $15/year.

In any event...the top line here....is the bottom line for you....not happy with the price here, don't buy it here.

I just received my renewal notice from National Geographic today.  $19 per year for the dead tree version.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Contributor
earthqake_mcgoon
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I think that the price of e-magazines has somethitng to do with the copyright laws that protect the document. ( it is easier for someone to illegally distribbute a document that is online than not.)
Frequent Contributor
justsayyes
0 Kudos

Some are magazines are price competitive (ex. Cycleworld, Bicycling) and some DOUBLE the cost (Sound & Vision) - using 1 year published subscription rates.  So make sure you check out the subscription rates prior to hitting the subscribe button.

But to your point, the NY Times is a paid NC subscription but a FREE iPad app. The iPad app is also a 'richer' reading experience, as is the actual web site. On the other hand, having the latest plus back issues available anytime on the NC is pretty useful for some (me) since I rarely have the time to read through an entire daily issue.  Not having to carry the Times around or other newspaper is pretty convenient.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Beware, NYT is about to go behind a pay wall. All those free apps are whetting appetites for subscribers.

Calibre has an excellent ability to download an entire edition of many newspapers on the web and package them into an epub you can read when you don't have wifi. You might want to give it a try.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

withfeeling wrote:

Calibre has an excellent ability to download an entire edition of many newspapers on the web and package them into an epub you can read when you don't have wifi. You might want to give it a try.

Actually the fetch service under Calibre is only the RSS feeds provided by the news or media service and are converted to epub by Calibre. If the news service feeds the entire edition, then that's what you get.

But most just feed a few of the top stories and a sampling of other interest areas like business, entertainment, U.S. and world news, or politics.

If you go to the website of the publication, some will offer their entire edition as a downloadable pdf, which you can read on the nook. Most have a sampling of stories on their websites and you can pay a subscription fee to have full access. RSS feeds are just news briefs that anyone with an RSS reader can get.

The neat thing about the Calibre fetch is a lengthy list of available feeds (from all over the world) and the ability to schedule their retrieval. Do bear in mind that the fetch service is only those who have public RSS feeds. Fetch is not all-inclusive because some media outlets also have encrypted RSS feeds for subscribers who pay a fee for the convenience.

But the ability to schedule these fetches is a nice feature. I have my Denver Post and USA Today scheduled for retrieval at 7 a.m. every morning, and can then read it either in the Calibre viewer or sideload it to the nook and read on the go.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

There are a number of magazines I wouldn't mind getting regularly on my NC, but I'm not sure what I'll end up with primarily because of pricing.  I wouldn't even mind paying for a full years subscription up front as long as it's a reduced price.  I think that's the primary crux right now, there is not year long subscription, it's a reoccurring monthly thing.  

I think the price will go down as more devices are able to provide them (as long as formatting isn't drastically different for each device).  In my work experience there are a number of people who sign up for renewing subscriptions and then never bother to cancel when they're done with it.  It's a somewhat parasitic way to make money, but hey, it works, and will probably mean that everyone will be able to pay a bit less.

Personally I think reading the NC version of the magazine (like Newsweek) is FAR superior to reading it online or repackaged using Calibre.  My Newsweek subscription ran out about a month ago and I did not renew, I had been reading it online until last week when I decided to give the free trial on the NC a go.  Being able to see the graphics and formatting, at least to me, affects the reading experience.

As for newspapers, the Nook version leaves a bit to be desired for me.

The NYT pay wall will be a metered system, similar to the current Washington Post system.  You'll still be able to read the paper online, just at some point you will have visited enough pages and they will cut you off unless you pay for access, what the level is I haven't heard yet.

Contributor
brie987
0 Kudos

Hi, so i just want to say that i do have a subscription to National Geographic and love it. You renew your subscription for$ 12 through Amazon, i have twice. I did contact NG about receiving a digital copy but they said no that they only sell digital copies through Zinio, i told them about my Nookcolor and that Barnes and Noble sell digital copies of NG. They said they couldn't help me. I did try but like others here have stated it is new so i will be patient.
Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Amazon does have an excellent subscription management tool for dead tree versions, we use it for a couple of them at our house.  I was leery of auto-renewals but it's actually pretty manageable. Unfortunately, I love reading on my NC so much that I'm willing to spend a little more to get my magazines there whenever possible! I'm on pins and needles waiting for a few more of my favorites to go digital!

I used to be the world's biggest magazine shopper at the checkout aisle EVERY time I went shopping, and the NC has eliminated all temptation (you're welcome, rainforest)! I also can't wait to see how light my carry-on will be when I go on vacation next month...usually a week's vacation would mean at least 2 books and 4-6 magazines (and that's BEFORE I raid the airport newsstand). A very large order of free magazine trials is in my near future! And now there will be more room in my bag for candy. :smileywink: