Distinguished Correspondent
morgman

Why users should not get upset that we don't have the full Android marketplace

I think one of the most recurring themes in post here that bother me is complaints  that BN hasn't opened the Nook up to the full android market place. 

BN has done an awesome job of walking a fine line between ereader and tablet.  Android was evolved as phone OS, not a tablet OS.  The android market place hasn't yet segmented to protect users from apps that wont run on their device.  Users would end up with some apps that require phone hardware such as cameras, GPS, or compass.  As we've seen from complaints in this forum and good portion of users would be furious at BN and calling tech support for every app that didn't work. 

Until this is addressed with Android 3.0 and a tablet-friendly market place, the best that BN can do is provide a well groomed market place with apps that have been vetted.  At the same time provide tacit support for rooting by not squashing those posts, or shutting down devices, but allow the more technical user an option to completely unlock the device's potential.  The rooted user has the understanding that BN is not to blame for every app that doesn't work from the market place.  

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana

Re: Why users should not get upset that we don't have the full Android marketplace

morgman wrote:

Until this is addressed with Android 3.0 and a tablet-friendly market place, the best that BN can do is provide a well groomed market place with apps that have been vetted.

I would submit the vetting process has left a lot to be desired. All I see is a bunch of amatuerish, poorly made apps. Aah, but we got our Angry Birds, so we should all be doing cartwheels. :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Correspondent
cfbush2000

Re: Why users should not get upset that we don't have the full Android marketplace

You are using sarcasm here, right?  "Vetted"?  You have been reading the threads about the many flaws in QuickOffice Pro?  A paid app that the developer, in response to a service ticket, says is not optimized for the NOOKcolor.  There are apps that still contain the phone portion of the original.  Yeah, I'm sure you're being sarcastic.  Nice sarcastic post. :smileyhappy:

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,312

[ Edited ]

morgman wrote:

BN has done an awesome job of walking a fine line between ereader and tablet.  ... the best that BN can do is provide a well groomed market place with apps that have been vetted.

And where is Adobe Reader for Android?  To me, this is the app that shows that B&N wasn't really looking for suitable Android apps for the e-Reader community.

Adobe is an established software company, and their PDF reader is an established product on most platforms, including Android.  Not only is it free, but Adobe encourages other sites to redistribute the Reader.  How many big software companies do that?

This is not a big issue with me, as I just installed it anyway.  The point is, I can't think of a better third-party free app for the Nook, and it's not in the B&N app store !!!

I know of ezPDF but have not used it.  However, I assure you, that Adobe's Reader for Android does not have the issues that ezPDF does, that have been lamented here.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@DeanGibson,

I could not agree more. Heck, I'd pay for the darn thing!

So the Adobe Reader from the Android Market works well on the Nook? I am flirting with CM7 and was hoping to find out more about Adobe Reader. I assume it's free.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,312

[ Edited ]

MaluhiaKana wrote:

@DeanGibson,

I could not agree more. Heck, I'd pay for the darn thing!

So the Adobe Reader from the Android Market works well on the Nook? I am flirting with CM7 and was hoping to find out more about Adobe Reader. I assume it's free.

Yep, free, and handles large (6MB) PDF pages.  PInch-zoom, rotate, etc.

http://blogs.adobe.com/adobereader/2010/05/introducing_adobe_reader_for_a.html

http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

There's even an Adboe forum supporting it:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_reader_forums/android

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

Thanks a bunch for that info!