Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
WildNole
0 Kudos

WiFi Question/Issue

Got my NC in January and have had NO problems with it.  Just put the CM7 OS on a MD card last night and again, no problems.  But do have an interesting issue.  Last night I had no problems getting my wifi at home to work (it has WPA/WPA2 PSK secuirty).  However, I brought the NC into work today and have noticed something interesting.  Running CM7 I am unable to connect to our campus netwrork which has 801.1x EAP security.  However, when I go back to the stock OS it connects without a problem.  I can, however, connect to our "open" network in CM7 but can't use it since I have an account.

Any thoughts on why I am unable to connect to our secure network in CM7 but am able to do so in the stock OS?  I've tried to play with some settings with no success.  Not really a problem other than it scaring me a bit as I am going to Italy for about 7 weeks this summer and was hoping to use the NC as my primary device.  Granted, I can always connect using the stock OS but I am so loving the CM7 that I was seriously considering going that way once the autonooter is avialable.  But if there are going to be potential wifi issues, maybe I'll just stay with what I have.

As always, thanks so much to those of you who understand this stuff and are so giving of your knowledge and time!!

Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

Re: WiFi Question/Issue

I had the same problem and asked about it a couple of times.  I was afraid it was the android platform so put off the update until it came through on its own.  My old router wouldn't run the cm7.  I got a new router a couple of days ago and can now run it.  It is an interesting problem.  Have you heard about any other android devices having the problem on that network or is it an issue of the NC setup?

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This isn't an answer, but more something to chew on.  The android networking stuff has some odd and longstanding bugs.  Princeton has documented their experience with the DHCP client not respecting lease times correctly. 

THe somethingawful thread on the Princeton report is a good read. 

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3406032&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It's entertaining and there seem to be people who know a fair amount about Android OS programming onboard (though I could be wrong, and if Mark sees this post and knows I'm wrong, I think he's currently in charge of Nallia's Giant Clue Bat of Correction.) 

My favorite snark re android was this:

'yet another 5000 page bug report as the children at the google laff office continue to pump out toy-grade software. they can throw it next to the completely broken vpn client and "get right on it" '

End of the day, Android doesn't have to be very good.  It has to be very cheap,  it has to help Google sell ads and it has to be good enough. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
WildNole
0 Kudos

Since I posted that I dug around a bit more and found instructions from my university on how to set it up, but still no luck. WAIT - it just connected!  Not sure what I was doing wrong, but it seems to have figured it out!

Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

Re: Wife Question/Issue

Wow! Loved the bug reports. It sure sounds like NC users aren't the only ones. At least Google is working on it. What I call going into a loop is exactly what they reported. Sounds like something gets hung up in memory and can't release. I find it interesting that most of the devices mention updates. Does seem to be an android issue. I don't have any droid devices other than the NC but since so many were phones got to wonder if people just write it off to dropped calls/service problems.
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Wait, has googe responded to that bug report now that it's finally getting high visiblity?

When I read the writeup in slashdot and looked at the bug report, the response from google was nil. 

don't mistake people's ability to open a bug report and document their issues with Google actually working on it :smileyhappy: 

Here's the bug report proper:  http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=11236 

And I see NC owners are saying that because their device can't connect it must be this particular bug.  I actually suggested that people try setting routers to run outrageously long lease times to see if the new NC networking *had* this bug, and in the event that solution did not help anyone who posted. 

I don't know that this particular bug is our issue.

Ah, but I see someone from the googleplex is saying the fix will start trickling down real soon now.  No actual date, natch.

I do know that google took pretty reliable wifi networking code and hosed it for no apparent reason.  (OK, by writing from scratch they don't have to release the code under GPL timelines, yes.  But so?  They release the network code fast?  Why not, if they're releasing the kernel code fast anyhow?)

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

In the original post-the Princeton report, they tell us that they have been in touch with Google and they are working on and have fixes, etc. They post the ticket number. I'm on my NC so can't put the link. As far as the issue being the one that everyone else is having, who knows. We are talking strictly about this happening in the CM7 sd card mode. Neither of us had the problem on the NC OS. We are just speculating.
roustabout
0 Kudos

I'm not seeing a ticket # in the September, 2010 post from Princeton's network guys to Google's bugtracking system.  It's possible that you're referring to the Princeton U network statement. 

http://www.net.princeton.edu/android/android-stops-renewing-lease-keeps-using-IP-address-11236.html

That statement mentions "fix" as "On April 20 2011, we received word from Google that they have identified a couple of the causes for the issue we reported. They indicated that they have fixes for the causes they have identified, and will be releasing those fixes soon. "

They reference the bug report #, which is autogenerated by the Google bugtracking platform and was generated September 2010.

I don't think Google came down from Olympus until this was slashdotted. 

8 months between a really thoroughly documented problem, confirmation from multiple other locations,  and the eventual "real soon now" response is kinda long. 

I don't know how closely the BN source is used to build the CM7 networking.  I do know that stock nooks are seeing some really ugly behavior after the 1.2 update.  The frequency that the devices are needing the OS completely reinstalled in order to get back on-network is high enough that the issue is in the BN FAQ about networking at this point. 

Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, most of the fixes in the sticky have come from you and Mark and a couple of others--can tell by the wording they use. But hey, they are paying attention. Did you ever get the feeling you are the beta group? :smileyvery-happy:
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

This isn't an answer, but more something to chew on.  The android networking stuff has some odd and longstanding bugs.  Princeton has documented their experience with the DHCP client not respecting lease times correctly. 

THe somethingawful thread on the Princeton report is a good read. 

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3406032&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It's entertaining and there seem to be people who know a fair amount about Android OS programming onboard (though I could be wrong, and if Mark sees this post and knows I'm wrong, I think he's currently in charge of Nallia's Giant Clue Bat of Correction.) 

My favorite snark re android was this:

'yet another 5000 page bug report as the children at the google laff office continue to pump out toy-grade software. they can throw it next to the completely broken vpn client and "get right on it" '

End of the day, Android doesn't have to be very good.  It has to be very cheap,  it has to help Google sell ads and it has to be good enough. 

Yes, he has the Clue Bat of Correction and I have the Hammer of Duh.  :smileywink:

roustabout
0 Kudos

Nallia writes:  Yes, he has the Clue Bat of Correction and I have the Hammer of Duh. 

May I borrow the Wire Brush of Enlightenment  now and again?

"there there, you look like you may need some of the accumulated illusion stripped away.  This may pinch just a little.   Ooooh, my, this bit under your thumbnail really is wedged in deep, innit?"