Reader 4
bobchicago
0 Kudos

WiFi password

I would like to turn off the WiFi in order to save the battery while reading.

I have a home WiFi (Linksys) that requires a long password when activating for the first time on any WiFi device.  For example, I signed in with my iPod Touch once and then every time I turn on it's WiFi, I connect without any problem.  However, with the Nook Color, everytime I turn the WiFi back on in 'Settings', I must re-enter the long password... a pain.  Is there any way for the Nook Color to remember my password and not demand that I re-enter it each time I turn the WiFi back on?

Thanks for your time and help,

Bob

BN_Andy
0 Kudos

Re: WiFi password

Hi Bob.  The password for the Wi-Fi cannot be saved.  As long as you keep the Wi-Fi settings On you should not have a problem.  However, if you turn the Settings to Off or switch to a different Wi-Fi connection, you will have to reenter the pw. 

Inspired Wordsmith
TigerShawk
0 Kudos

What type of password are we talking about here?  I have WPA2 security enabled for my home network, and I flip the wireless on and off all the time.  The password is remembered, highlighted by the fact that my network has the words "remembered" under the description.

Also, there is a Nook Color technical support forum that might be more appropriate for this question.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

That's strange.  I never have to re-enter my password.  Even all my old hotel connections are still there, and as long as I don't click on "Forget," their passwords remain, too.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

Bob are you talking about the WIFI security key or do you have your wifi setup so you have to login to a network situation?

When you turn off your WIFI are you doing that from the front panel or are you removing the connection from your WIFI list?

Like a few other posters I have saved connections from practally anywhere I have logged on with mine.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Andy_T wrote:

Hi Bob.  The password for the Wi-Fi cannot be saved.  As long as you keep the Wi-Fi settings On you should not have a problem.  However, if you turn the Settings to Off or switch to a different Wi-Fi connection, you will have to reenter the pw. 

Yeah- I think Andy_T may be wrong on this one.  The passwords for all of my wi-fi connections are remembered just fine.  Turning wi-fi on/off doesn't effect my passwords being saved.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Andy_T wrote:

gee, I guess I have a magic NC then.   It remembers the WiFi password for the several places I use it.    And the dialog box also shows those sites as "remembered"

And I always turn on the WiFi for only a brief time period, then turn it off.    Perhaps keeping it off for a week or so, then turning back on, and magic....the password is remembered.

:smileysurprised:

---------
Don
Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

Yep...you should only be connecting and disconnecting from WiFi rather than "Forgetting" a wifi spot.  Our home network required that long passcode from heck the first time connected, but no more.  Something fishy is going on here ;0)

Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Reader 4
bobchicago
0 Kudos

Ok.  Thanks all.  It seems to be 'rembering' as I cycle through the on/off game today.  Maybe I messed up yesterday.... somehow....I'm new at this.

Thanks again,

Bob

Distinguished Correspondent
lvmync
0 Kudos

I turn my wireless on and off all the time and never have to re-enter my password. I've got my wireless locked down pretty tight but I don't have to re-enter anything.

American by birth, Texan by the grace of my Parents.
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

bobchicago wrote:

Ok.  Thanks all.  It seems to be 'rembering' as I cycle through the on/off game today.  Maybe I messed up yesterday.... somehow....I'm new at this.

Thanks again,

Bob

Cool. Glad ya got it sorted out   :smileyhappy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown