Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
bobchicago
0 Kudos

WiFi password

I would like to turn off the WiFi in order to save the battery while reading.

I have a home WiFi (Linksys) that requires a long password when activating for the first time on any WiFi device.  For example, I signed in with my iPod Touch once and then every time I turn on it's WiFi, I connect without any problem.  However, with the Nook Color, everytime I turn the WiFi back on in 'Settings', I must re-enter the long password... a pain.  Is there any way for the Nook Color to remember my password and not demand that I re-enter it each time I turn the WiFi back on?

Thanks for your time and help,

Bob

BN_Andy
0 Kudos

Re: WiFi password

Hi Bob.  The password for the Wi-Fi cannot be saved.  As long as you keep the Wi-Fi settings On you should not have a problem.  However, if you turn the Settings to Off or switch to a different Wi-Fi connection, you will have to reenter the pw. 

Inspired Wordsmith
TigerShawk
0 Kudos

What type of password are we talking about here?  I have WPA2 security enabled for my home network, and I flip the wireless on and off all the time.  The password is remembered, highlighted by the fact that my network has the words "remembered" under the description.

Also, there is a Nook Color technical support forum that might be more appropriate for this question.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

That's strange.  I never have to re-enter my password.  Even all my old hotel connections are still there, and as long as I don't click on "Forget," their passwords remain, too.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

Bob are you talking about the WIFI security key or do you have your wifi setup so you have to login to a network situation?

When you turn off your WIFI are you doing that from the front panel or are you removing the connection from your WIFI list?

Like a few other posters I have saved connections from practally anywhere I have logged on with mine.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Andy_T wrote:

Hi Bob.  The password for the Wi-Fi cannot be saved.  As long as you keep the Wi-Fi settings On you should not have a problem.  However, if you turn the Settings to Off or switch to a different Wi-Fi connection, you will have to reenter the pw. 

Yeah- I think Andy_T may be wrong on this one.  The passwords for all of my wi-fi connections are remembered just fine.  Turning wi-fi on/off doesn't effect my passwords being saved.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Andy_T wrote:

gee, I guess I have a magic NC then.   It remembers the WiFi password for the several places I use it.    And the dialog box also shows those sites as "remembered"

And I always turn on the WiFi for only a brief time period, then turn it off.    Perhaps keeping it off for a week or so, then turning back on, and magic....the password is remembered.

:smileysurprised:

---------
Don
Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

Yep...you should only be connecting and disconnecting from WiFi rather than "Forgetting" a wifi spot.  Our home network required that long passcode from heck the first time connected, but no more.  Something fishy is going on here ;0)

Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Reader 4
bobchicago
0 Kudos

Ok.  Thanks all.  It seems to be 'rembering' as I cycle through the on/off game today.  Maybe I messed up yesterday.... somehow....I'm new at this.

Thanks again,

Bob

Distinguished Correspondent
lvmync
0 Kudos

I turn my wireless on and off all the time and never have to re-enter my password. I've got my wireless locked down pretty tight but I don't have to re-enter anything.

American by birth, Texan by the grace of my Parents.
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

bobchicago wrote:

Ok.  Thanks all.  It seems to be 'rembering' as I cycle through the on/off game today.  Maybe I messed up yesterday.... somehow....I'm new at this.

Thanks again,

Bob

Cool. Glad ya got it sorted out   :smileyhappy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown