Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
patent_girl
0 Kudos

Will brand-new nook colors for sale now have update already installed?

Just wondering - asked for Nook Color for my mother's day gift, hoping the update already is on it.  Also - is it better to purchase in storeor online?  In store - my husband works in a neighboring state that has no sales tax & can save on that by buying in store there.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

Re: Will brand-new nook colors for sale now have update already installed?

Cool. If you can buy it without the sales tax, then go for it. I paid about $256 on the B&N website. I know the sales tax here in Colorado would have resulted in a higher price if I would have bought it in person. I'm not sure why B&N online only charged me $6 for sales tax.

Contributor
iluvminc
0 Kudos

No, I was having problems with my nookcolor and I returned it and got a new one yesterday. And it did not have the new updates.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Why not save on the sales tax if possible?  It's an easy update and can be done instore if it is not on the NC already.  I was in a local store yesterday and they volunteered to update mine, but I had already done it.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

The units that have been shipped to stores have been flashed with the most recent update available at the time when the NOOK unit was produced. At the moment that means pretty much everything you can buy will still be running 1.1. As stock of these older units is sold down they will be replaced by newer ones running 1.2 stock.

If you buy in store we can very easily update the unit for you in a couple of minutes. If you order it online you'll have to do it manually.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

If you buy in store we can very easily update the unit for you in a couple of minutes. If you order it online you'll have to do it manually.

So you will refuse to update Nooks that weren't bought in-store? Good heavens, why?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

MaluhiaKana wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

So you will refuse to update Nooks that weren't bought in-store? Good heavens, why?

We won't refuse, but if you're going to drive down to the store to update the device why not support your local store so it can remain profitable and open by just buying your NOOK there?

Stop being pedantic.

Frequent Contributor
SuzW
0 Kudos

I bought my nook color yesterday in store, and the update process was painless. Though my wi-fi nook will still be my primary choice for regular reading, I love the web browser, magazines and color screen on the nook color. My PDFs of crochet patterns are displaying beautifully... no more need to print them out. I've yet to try adding video - I'd like to add a SD card for extra space so I can put the videos on the card instead of the internal memory.

And oh yes, Angry Birds is a hit at our house... so much fun on the larger screen.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

We won't refuse, but if you're going to drive down to the store to update the device why not support your local store so it can remain profitable and open by just buying your NOOK there?

Stop being pedantic.

You made the distiction concerning the update, not me.

Also, I paid less by purchasing the Nook from the B&N website. Why should I pay more to buy it from the same company at a brick and mortar location? That being said, I do support many locally owned and operated businesses in our area. B&N is a national chain. I couldn't care less is they stay 'open'.

By the way, you do realize that physical bookstores will be a thing of the past in the not-to-distant future, right? Ask Borders, B. Daltons, and Walden Books. If B&N continues to evolve, they'll be fine.

My apologies to the OP for going off-topic.