Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Madison56
0 Kudos

Windows Media Player songs won't play

I am a newbie NC user and not very computer savvy. I have a full library of CDs that I burned to my Windows Media Player. They will not drag to my NC, but they will sync to it. However, they will not open and play. I get a message that the device does not support this type of audio file. I was told on the "Nook" (I posted there apparently in error instead of the "NC" board) that I need to convert the WMP songs to MP3.  How do I do that? Any one good at giving step-by-step instructions?

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Re: Windows Media Player songs won't play

They won't play because WMA is a Microsoft-proprietary format (the W is for Windows). There really isn't any standard easy way to convert them, but you can probably download an inexpensive program that will do it for you. Google "WMA to MP3 converter" or "WMP to MP3 converter" and check out the programs, choose the one that looks easiest to use.

Alternatively, some versions of Windows Media Player have an option rip CD's to MP3's. WMA is the default setting, you have to tell it you want MP3 instead. Unfortunately that means you'll have to rip all your CD's again if you choose that route.

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

Not so much that it's priopertary, it's just been around a while because MS didn't like the technical spcs of MP# (not invented here syndrome).

Having said that, every toy I have plays both mp3 & wma... including my 4 year old samsung phone, car boat, etc..

There are many converters that will work including a few from microsoft.

The problem is it takes a while to convert a large library.

It's be easier if NC just supported WMA; perhaps in v 2

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.
Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Sorry, I didn't realize that! Don't WMA's make smaller files than MP3? In that case it would be really nice if NC would support it to leave more room on the hard drive.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

MS has always claimed WMA is better than MP3. but that is arguable. You can always make smaller files in either format, but which is "better" at a given file size has been "controverial".

Both are proprietary formats, MP3 has been involved in patent wars for more than a decade now. Some patents have expired, but, as I understand it, they don't ALL expire, world-wide, until 2017.

MP3 is more of a global standard, since WMA has been Windows only, or MS licensees, while MP3 decoders (players) have been royalty free all along. It is/was the encoding where patent royalties are collected. On the other hand, if you run Windows, the natural mode is to create WMAs. For years, lots of players didn't support them. That is why they are colloquially called "MP3 players". Most do support WMA more recently.

There are several free formats, of which the best, for common use, is OGG. It is also arguably better than either MP3 or WMA. YMMV.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

First thing to do is change Windows Media Player to use MP3 instead of WMA

* Start Windows Media Player

* Tab the "ALT key on your keyboard so it brings up the top menu.

* Go to Tools > Options

* Go into the "Rip Music" tab.

* Change "Rip settings" from Windows Media Audio Format to MP3

* Optional, at the bottom it has a quality slider you can use to increase the quality (and thus the size)

To convert your WMA files to MP3, there are quite a few conversion tools out there, but I think using iTunes for that is pretty easy.

For iTunes, a similar change needs to be made:

* Start iTunes

* In the top menu click on Edit > preferences

* In the General tab, somewhere modway, look for a button named "Import Settings" and click on that

* Change.the "AAC Encoder" to "MP3 Encoder"

* Optional, change the second dropdown to something that fits your needs.

If you want small files, and do not use headphones, you can use "Custom" and change the settings to 64Kbps and 1 Channel.

Its a small little trick I use once in a while. By using 1 channel (mono) instead of 2(stereo), you can cut the filesize in half without noticable loss of quality.

Normally both left and right channels will use half of the bitrate (128Kbps = 64Kbps for left side and 64Kbps for right side). By selecting mono, both left and right side will be "mixed" into 1 channel, which is then played over both. You will lose stereo effects such as a guitar player playing off-center to one side, but the audio quality is pretty much the same, and with the Nook only having 1 speaker, you will not be able to tell the difference, because it also mixes both channels into 1.

Once you have iTunes set to MP3, just drag your WMA files onto iTunes, and it will ask if it should convert your WMA files.

If you never installed iTunes before, it will ask this during the first time you run it, but at this point you have not made the MP3 change yet, so don't do it then. First the change, then add the WMA files.

AFter the files have all been converted to MP3, you can find them in "My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music"

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

I just replied to the thread you posted in the other NookColor area

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/Windows-Media-Player-music-wont-p...

Double-posting is confusing for both you and the people who are trying to help you, so please just pick one thread to continue on, rather than getting double-answers.