Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
heather922
0 Kudos

Re: Wishlist for NOOKcolor Update 1.3

I would like for the nook color to have a text free app like the ipods do.

Reader 4
goldn
0 Kudos

I'd just like for my unit to connect to Wifi consistently and well. I swear I have to stand in front of my router to go online with this. I would take it into a B&N store, but I bought it at the beginning of January so I'm sure it wouldn't get replaced or even looked at. Blah!

I'd also like a stationary URL bar in the browser.

Correspondent
Dr_Mabooza

1. Proven and tested operating system stability.

2. Freedom from remote-initiated resets.

3. No more mass rollout updates.  Instead, an onscreen notification would appear, letting you know that an update is available. You have the choice whether to update or not.

4. A fully detailed prospectus on the contents of the update.

Distinguished Correspondent
feltbettor

Dr_Mabooza wrote:

1. Proven and tested operating system stability.

2. Freedom from remote-initiated resets.

3. No more mass rollout updates.  Instead, an onscreen notification would appear, letting you know that an update is available. You have the choice whether to update or not.

4. A fully detailed prospectus on the contents of the update.

Yes. I agree. Here's a list I came up with to add the ones I've read with some of my own. I'm sure there are a dozen I'm forgetting. Very sad how many issues we have yet to fix. Anyway......

Program tweaks:

- ereader package with landscape mode/new fonts/new viewing styles

- fix email program that won't log off

- ability to add to "Contacts" app by sideloading .csv or . vcf files

- ability to delete ANYTHING off Nookcolor with a long screen press.

- better flash support

- home screen icon sort/line-up options

- "Gallery" app display overhaul

- file management program

- beefed up browser with the ability to NOT load up in mobile view.

- temporary memory, like a download manager has, for Books and Apps so I don't have to repeatedly download them after they fail to install

- many more shelf creation and sorting options.

- better native pdf support

I didn't add anything having to do with app store prices or ideas on purpose. It's too early to tell if the app selection will be adequate. If more and cheaper versions of apps appear, as I believe they will, then that will take care of the other complaints.

"Now remember, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas... Except herpes, that s*** will come back with you." - Sid Garner
Frequent Contributor
Grammarsnob
0 Kudos

- Better PDF support (though converting to epub usually works fine)

--- Ability to read username/password protected PDF files

- Ability to play more video file types (such as .mkv)

- Ability to read more document types (such as .ODT, though I'm hoping a version of OpenOffice will be released as an app)

- Ability to arrange shelves by user's order preference

- Ability for shelves to be displayed as text, not cover images

- Ability for home screen to be neatened up in the user-selected order, not forced into title order

- More home screen menus

- Landscape mode for ebooks

- Direct integration with libraries for downloading books

- More background/stylistic options when reading ebooks

- Text to Speech (yeah right)

- Ability to absolutely delete files off the Nook (such as pictures, internet downloads, etc)

- Seconding the Gallery system revamp

- Re-enable the Home screen button to actually take the nook back to the home page, even if it requires holding it down for a few seconds. I miss that!

Contributor
Luv_My_Nooks
0 Kudos

I would like to have everything that everyone else has posted, but I would also like to be able to choose whether my apps install to my nook drive or whether they install to my micro sd card. I would also like to be able to choose where library books download to, either nook drive or micro sd card. I have that choice on my android phone.

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

I've been accumulating a list of improvements for nearly five months, but have held off posting until B&N had a chance to release a couple of updates.  To their credit, I think they've done a whale of a good job in improving the NC. But there are still some things I believe that can be done to improve the experience. I've tried to avoid listing brand new apps since those requests should be directed at the app store.

- Landscape reading mode for books

- Ability to use the Rich Text feature when posting from the NC

- Improved Gallery features (folders, selecting which items appear in the Gallery)

- Software fix to increase volume from NC speakers. (may have been done already - the sound seems a bit louder under 1.2, or is it just my imagination?)

- Improved keyboard with direction arrows and persistent numbers row

- Persistent zoom in magazines when moving from page to page

- Ad-hoc wifi support so I can connect via my hotspot Android phone

- Browser improvements: persistent address bar and menu icon; home button to go to top of page quickly; forward button; option to order bookmarks alphabetically; fix problem of all web windows suddenly closing

- Ability to alter order of items in shelves

OK, I fibbed - I will include a couple of apps since I believe they should have been included with any device with files:

- File manager for, at a minimum, basic file functions (delete, rename, copy/paste, etc.) (Quick Office Pro provides this, but only for files on the microSD card), and ideally expanded functionality to include access to shared folders on the network and (dreaming here now) network printers.

- A backup app to preserve settings, bookmarks, shelves, My Files, etc, just in case the Great Reset ever occurs again.

Looking forward to the continuing improvements.

New User
Red_Cherry_Fizz
0 Kudos

I really LOVE my NC

I just downloaded the 1.2 firmware today (manually! I couldn't wait for the auto-update) after viewing the video demo of what's new (It was a "targeted ad via e-mail...I can't seem to find a link to that video directly on the web site) - I was REALLY excited to see a feature where books were grouped on the NC video - only to discover the screen shot was of the STORE...

A)

I'd really like to see that BOXED grouping of items on the shelf/home screen like is displayed in the store "Authors You May Like", "Picked Just for You", and "NOOK Apps Spotlight" - only for books in a series (Please! Please! Please!).  In other words, I really like the store interface for those categories!  They just need to be sorted by the book ORDER, NOT TITLE  (e.g.. I could create a shelf for each series, but they are sorted by title - HellGate London series: #1 Exodus, #2 Goetha #3 Covenant -- unfortunately, the shelf idea puts #3 FIRST in the list)

Many have already asked for being able to sort/search/organize on TAGS -- personally, I don't care HOW it is done, only that I be able to put books in a series together so I can read them in order.  The store idea is just so "visual" that it should be easy to see a good UI for book ordering/sorting and it got me really excited about the 1.2 update.

B)

Also, now that we can put our own stuff (not just B and N books, but any/all books) on the Home screen - we need a few more of them! :smileyvery-happy:  (Yea! Thanks for adding that feature to 1.2!)

C)

Given that I based my update on the video, I'd agree with Dr_Mabooza - #4 we *need* a good release notes page to detail what the updates actually are, so we don't jump to invalid conclusions :smileytongue: like I did.

All in all, I'm happy with the stuff in 1.2 - it makes this reader even better - I hope B&N keeps updating and listening to the community!

D) I've had the same problems with PDFs as so many others have, so I've given up on even putting them on the NC - I'm "forced" to convert them to ePub so they are actually usable... I think it would be great if Adobe would do a PDF Reader app and have B&N ship it as a default reader for PDFs (I won't hold my breath for this one though) :smileysurprised:  At least the reader will actually display them, for which I am thankful (I do have a few comic books that can't really be converted to ePub)

Thank you B&N for a great product - keep up the good work!  I look forward to may more improvements.

Inspired Contributor
nookc
0 Kudos

I think we are starting to hit the processor limit. So i wish for a dual processor nookcolor2 with all the software changes mentioned in previous posts. Plus a home button for the native browser.

Keep the rubber side down!
Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

- select, copy, and paste from anywhere to any where.
- file management, move, delete, create folders, including selective backup etc.
  operate on multiple files at a time.
- search filters
- browser enhancements
  Navigation buttons touch spot to go to top of page.
  a browser switch to turn off 2nd pages opening behind the current page.
- smooth out the long pauses, and add a "working icon" so we know the dang thing hasn't locked up.
- In Reader, a way to go back to cover and last page in menu.
- Enable the built-in bluetooth so external accessories can be used.
- Options that allow various configurations for desktop

Frequent Contributor
Ostracus
0 Kudos

Turn on Bluetooth.

Correspondent
karen-atl
0 Kudos

schatzieWI wrote:
I want my punctuation back. I was just getting used to it automatically adding apostrophes to my contractions.

Me too!!
Inspired Correspondent
jlhatch
0 Kudos

Eventually we're gonna need a virus checker. To that i add my own wishes: multiple windows I can swap back and forth to, an x on each (window/app/widge) that will actually allow me to close a window and free up that memory, turning on bluetooth and a portable k/b that my NC fits into, a good word processor app or widget, cut and paste, file manager, NC backup, and Chrome. Those additions won't make me happy - they'll make happier than I already am with my NC!
Contributor
X-avierTechie
0 Kudos

To be able to delete files from the Nook. It seems like it should be a simple thing to do.  

Contributor
flbutterfly1
0 Kudos

I would like a security app for when I am browsing the internet. It would be nice to be able to check my accounts when I am not at home. I would also like Dolphin mini browser. When I was rooted I loved it and it worked much faster than the BN stock browser. So why don't I just root again? I like my NC the way it is now it does almost everything I want it to. I hope BN will read all these posts there are many ideas that I hadn't thought about, but now that they are pointed out I would actually  use them like a Delete button.

Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
0 Kudos

I would like to be able to adjust the sound quality when using ear phones (adjust treble, bass)

I would like to be able to delete books directly from the NC

I would like to be able to "lock" certain books, or shelves

bwg
Inspired Contributor
bwg
0 Kudos

Science_man wrote:

I would like to be able to "lock" certain books, or shelves

That's a great idea!  I would like that as well.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but one thing I would like is the ability to remove the microSD card and not have sideloaded books disappear from shelves (if you had already organized them on shelves with the microSD card in the NookColor).  The regular nook can handle this, so it shouldn't be too difficult (maybe? hopefully? LOL).

Inspired Correspondent
Knowledge70
0 Kudos

It would be nice to have the stock PDF viewer improved. But I'll be amazed if that happens when there is an app that already does it (and they profit from that!).

Anyhow, ignoring the numerous apps I'd like to see and sticking to NC specific changes:

• Fix random crashing/closing of web browser
  • Allow option of where to install apps (NC or SDcard)
  • Retain shelves of books that are on SD card when SD card is removed
  • A back-up utility (nook to PC or SDcard) to quickly restore settings, bookmarks, notes, highlights & shelves etc. in case they do another (ahem) 'maintenance' of their servers (or if you have to rest the device for genuine reasons)
  • Actually allow books to be twisted on the home page just like their advertising :-)
  • Remove the permenant notification when an SD card is in the device
  • File manager, that can allow deleting or moving of files, and creating folders
Reader 2
Bzybee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I would like to see:

1. contacts have full listing of address, phone, etc..not just email

2. more apps or ability to get more from other sites.

3. ability to update Adobe Flash as needed

4. a discount on ebooks or more free books.

5. would like to download books that I already own without having to pay for them again.!!!

6. ebook in landscape

Contributor
GuySh
0 Kudos

Better native pdf support AND most definitely google calendar synchronization ! I think these are pretty basic fetures.