Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

You Think THIS Forum Gets Heated. . .

I made the mistake of wandering over to the official Kindle forum on Amazon.com.  Today I read threads where people are harassing a military man and saying that he's not worthy of respect "just because he's military"-- all because he asked why he could not get a Kindle delivered to him in Afghanistan. And then there's the ongoing thread where people are attacking Christians who write novels available for the Kindle without revealing upfront that it's a Christian novel.  Lots of attacks, not just against Christians, but sacrilegious comments made about Jesus. Fun place, that is.

Wordsmith
robert93

Re: You Think THIS Forum Gets Heated. . .

There is a lot of hate, and ugliness on the internet.  Some thrive on inflicting negative comments on foorums , and even moreso in chatrooms.  Sadly, this may be considered a forward glance into humanity and society in general.  I've noticed since the mid 90's many changes from "hey this is great, we can all be friends" to "hey, no accountability i CAN be the bad guy!" becoming more and more standard behavior.  Thankfully not every internet user has adopted that conduct.  Hopefully the advent of e-readers will help preserve a small corner of intelligence on the web.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

I don't mind disagreements in general, debate is healthy.  But personal attacks or any kind seem out of line.  I don't mind being told I am wrong (even when I know I'm right) but attacking someone personally is just wrong.  But lots of people are only happy when they spread hate.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

This forum is one of the nicest I've been on.  The forums at Android Central are pretty nice too.  If you want to see really crazy nasty, check out a bridal forum, LOL.  I've heard the kindle forums are up there in the nastiness department.  Even Amazon can't handle their nastiness - they gave in to Penguin last year in part because the forum members were so irate.

Doesn't it just make you want to rush out and buy a kindle?

Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan

This is calm compared to the smartphone user forums, trust me. You haven't lived until you read those boards after a manufacturer doesn't push an anticipated Android update or upgrade when expected. You would think an update for a phone was a life or death situation. Man, can those people get nasty, hateful, and even threatening ........even to the mods. They start "I Hate ______" FB pages, threaten lawsuits........you name it. At times, it was absolutely impossible to wade through the whining and complaining posts in order to actually help anyone who needed technical help.  A bunch of us actually referred to the public forum as the "Scary Board"!!!

Contributor
TaurusWriter
0 Kudos

It is wonderful to have "nice and helpful" forums.   I would be lost with the forums for NookColor, Blackberry, my Mac--even my old Palms.  I wish I could contribute more, and be more helpful in the NookColor...but I'm still a noob.

BUT, I am a reality TV junkie, and those forums are completely hateful.  I don't post in any, just like to read them--sometimes.  Need to add another layer of skin for those forums...

Frequent Contributor
ridgrnr

[ Edited ]
Looking at the two threads you referenced, 99% of the posts in those threads are simply offering helpful advice/suggestions. You may not like the result of those suggestions (filtering out stealth Christian books or the fact that some items can't be shipped overseas by Amazon) but what I saw were numerous posts thanking the serviceman for his service along with tips on how to have a Kindle shipped to him and tips/suggestions for discovering the true content of books (which many Christians also support). I assume you're all for knowing the true content/purpose of a book in advance of purchase and not one who is automatically offended by any criticism of religion, deserved or not, (in this case authors who don't reveal their intended religious indoctrination upfront). I also assume you're all for our service members getting advice on how to best get something shipped overseas, as opposed to just taking a cheap shot at those who support your preconceived notions of those who don't share your views by using the responses of 1% of people in an on-line forum. .

richardwrite25 wrote:

I made the mistake of wandering over to the official Kindle forum on Amazon.com.  Today I read threads where people are harassing a military man and saying that he's not worthy of respect "just because he's military"-- all because he asked why he could not get a Kindle delivered to him in Afghanistan. And then there's the ongoing thread where people are attacking Christians who write novels available for the Kindle without revealing upfront that it's a Christian novel.  Lots of attacks, not just against Christians, but sacrilegious comments made about Jesus. Fun place, that is.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Well I'm not going to bring that argument over here. Suffice to say, I think it's silly for people to think they could discern a military man's character by the fact that he posted asking why he could not receive a Kindle in Afghanistan.

Wordsmith
Droiddict
0 Kudos

Have to agree with ridgrnr.  There are always going to be a few people who don't think before they post on a forum or who deliberatly write posts that get people riled up.  Better to appreciate the helpful posts and be thankful that such people hang around to give answer questions.

roustabout

[ Edited ]

I googled around a bit on the amazon/penguin dispute, and didn't find those threads terribly searing.

I was not able to find the huge thread in which a ton of folks yelled at a deploying or deployed serviceman for wanting a kindle shipped, but perhaps I should have been looking in the Arabic-language Kindle forums for that? 

I also couldn't find the long threads in whch people explained in detail their issues with Christianity, from the doctrines of the Trinity and Infallibility to reservations about accepting divine inspiration, etc. 

I did see folks describing a particular style of Christian fiction uncharitably, and I think reasonably so.  These are folks who have paid for one thing, and have received another;  the authors who don't tag their books probably think of themselves as clever, but the customers feel that these authors are acting as swindlers rather than preachers.

Indeed, isn't there something in the bible about the inadvisability of hiding ones light unde a bushel?   Ah, yes, the phrase derives from the synoptic Gospels, all of them, apparently.

Any rate, the Kindle forums I skimmed looked fairly civil and not unlike thee forums.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

Jesus is a fairy tale made up by man.

The one true god is the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Atheists are nothing if not predictable.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263

richardwrite25 wrote:

How about you don't make snide comments about a whole group of people in response to a single statement of belief about a religion that disagrees with your own?

kthxbye

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

Nallia wrote:

richardwrite25 wrote:

How about you don't make snide comments about a whole group of people in response to a single statement of belief about a religion that disagrees with your own?

kthxbye

Last time I check ATHEISM isn't a religion.  Funny how you didn't say anything about Theriot making fun of Jesus.  A little anti-christian aren't you?

roustabout

[ Edited ]

I'm curious, since apparently atheists are are deeply predictable and since worshipers of His Noodly Majesty have become atheists while my head was turned: what does it imply that I know what the synoptic gospels are, what apocryphal gospels are, and that I am aware of the hypothetical source Q? 

I don't know if you're aware of the modern revelation of His Many Armedness, but it's not an attack on faith at all but a manifestation of it  You can think of it perhaps in the way Oprah viewers describe The Secret: as an immanentization of the very best creation science has to offer.  His existence provides (amongst other things) one key to the age-old knot of good and evil.

The Revelation occurred just at around the same time that strident demands from adherents of a particular faith that holds as a central tenet a level of sustained and very forceful divine intervention, that their doctrines be given equal weight with science in classrooms. 

To me, it seems possible that His Noodliness might be the author of Source Q, which was then intentionally suppressed by a different sect and presented with dramatic edits. 

It's surpring that folks who hold with the tradition of sustained and forceful intervention in the affairs of fungi, bacteria, plants, insects, fish and the like (a particularly high level of Divine interest being exhibited in beetles and bony fish in particular) - are not more drawn to His Noodliness.  A divinity so divergent goes a long way to explaining how it is that - after separately creating so many of the things which swim, and walk, and fly, and crawl upon the land six thousand years ago, and salting the Universe and the Earth with forged evidence of much longer timescales - His Noodliness had no interest in perhaps giving Hitler or Pol Pot or Stalin a weakened cerebral blood vessel. 

His Ways are mysterious and as we can read in Job, it is foolishness to try to apprehend them by reason. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263

[ Edited ]

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

Nallia wrote:

richardwrite25 wrote:

kthxbye

Last time I check ATHEISM isn't a religion.  Funny how you didn't say anything about Theriot making fun of Jesus.  A little anti-christian aren't you?

Nope.  Not anti-Christian.  And not an atheist.  I'm anti-putting-down-an-entire-group-for-the-actions-of-one-or-a-few.

I also never said Atheism is a religion.  I was pointing out that there is a difference between speaking negatively about a religion and negatively speaking about people.

The equivalent response to Theriot would have been something long the lines of saying that the lack of belief is delusional, or something similar.  Which I wouldn't have bothered to say anything about.

I'm sorry if you can't see the difference.

keriflur

Hot diggity dog we're talkin' about gods!

And in a thread titled "You Think THIS Forum Gets Heated. . ."  Seems kinda prophetic*, doesn't it?

@roustabout - "His Noodly Majesty" made my day.  Thanks for that.  :smileyhappy:

* disclaimer: The use of "prophetic" was not intended to refer to any specific prophet, historical or current.  No religious figures were harmed in the making of this post.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

[ Edited ]

>>>>>richardwrite25 wrote:

How about you don't make snide comments about a whole group of people in response to a single statement of belief about a religion that disagrees with your own?<<<<<

Um....ok. How's this:  "Some atheists are SOOO predictable....while many atheists are, in fact, quite UN-predictable." 

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

richardwrite25 wrote:

>>>>>richardwrite25 wrote:

How about you don't make snide comments about a whole group of people in response to a single statement of belief about a religion that disagrees with your own?<<<<<

Um....ok. How's this:  "Some atheists are SOOO predictable....while many atheists are, in fact, quite UN-predictable." 

I think that sentence is a HUGE improvement. :smileyhappy: 

Though Theriot and roustabout clearly worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster and Nallia stated she's not an atheist, so I'm not sure who you were insulting in the first place.  :smileywink:

Now how's about we go from pointing and laughing at each other to pointing and laughing WITH each other?  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
KindleMichelle
0 Kudos

For whatever reason, the Amazon board is a lot more active. They probably get the same amount of new topics in a half an hour that this board gets in a day. They also get a lot of repetitious topics -- like servicepeople saying Amazon hates America because of shipping restrictions. People tend to react differently on the 30th go around on a topic than they do on the first. And I don't know anyone who loves being tricked into buying a different kind of book than what they wanted. 

And, no, people shouldn't be rude -- here or there. 

“Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.”
~Oscar Wilde