Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
ShastaGG
0 Kudos

Zipped Audio books problems

I was able to locate free audio books in MP3 format on several websites and could save them, in a zip format on my PC.  Now I want to get them over to my NookColor.  Here is the question. Do I need to unzip them first then side load directly to my Nook or can I side load them to my Nookcolor then have the nook unzip them?  I have tried unzipping themseveral times to unzip the files then use Overdrive and/or Adobe Digital Editions but neither application seem to recignize the unzipped files.  I have searched this website but forund no anser to my problem.  I need some help.

Inspired Correspondent
Lineola

Re: Zipped Audio books problems

[ Edited ]

I am not entirely sure this works for Overdrive, but I know it is the case for many Adobe Digital books--if you take the zip file on your PC and just change the extension to the Adobe Digital/Overdrive extension (don't unzip it), it will then be recognized by Overdrive.  The zip file contains multiple files in a package that the program reads all together to create the book on your device.

I stumbled on this advice in the instructions on one of the sites I downloaded a book from. Not sure why they can't just name it that way in the first place!

Once you have changed the extension, just click and open and the Overdrive program should properly recognize it.  You need to open it in Overdrive, then transfer it to your NookColor, the Nook probably won't recognize it otherwise and won't unzip it.  I may be wrong here, but I think it it were a plain mp3 file, your nook can recognize it directly, but the protected books need the other information and therefore need to be transferred through Overdrive.

Lineola

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

If these are just standard mp3s with no DRM encryption, why are you usibg overdrive or adobe digital editions with them? For mp3s and other supported audio files, unzip them on your pc, connect your NC, wake it up, drag and drop, eject, safely remove, and voila! If these are files specified to be used with overdrive that is another issue and one I know nothing about.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
ShastaGG
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info, I did what you said and it does work.