New User
jab9068
0 Kudos

applications

I would like to know if you can download apps like weight watchers from ITunes to the nookcolor.  If you can please tell me how this is done.  thanks  jab9068

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Re: applications

no. the NOOKcolor is not an iPad, so it doesn't work with iTunes Appstore.

It runs Android, and while there is an Android Market that is similar to the iTunes Appstore, this is not enabled on the NOOKcolor.

It is possible to enable it, but its quite complicated.

New User
jab9068
0 Kudos

can you download the software from the web site such as weight watchers ?  jab9068

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

I'm sorry, but also no.

Even if they would have an Android app available, it still would not install on the NOOKcolor, because that portion of Android is something that is locked by B&N (probably to prevent people from using it with the Amazon Kindle app :smileyhappy:)

Like I mentioned in my previous post, it is possible to make the installing of (android-)apps work, but it is a pretty technical process. Its called rooting, and unless you know what the word means, I would not suggest it as a solution for you.

Frequent Contributor
nutz4books
0 Kudos

I'm definitely not the techie/hacker type by any stretch of the imagination, and I wasn't going to root my NC because I love it as is.  However, my BF really wanted a rooted NC, so he went and bought one and asked me to do it.  (I figured it was his loss and risk, not mine!) There are actually very easy instructions out there where you are downloading, unzipping stuff, flashing it to the SD card, and voila!  I got his rooted, then we even got Honeycomb up and running on it!  It took all weekend to get to that point, but not impossible.  I played with his rooted NC (before Honeycomb installation wiped out all traces of B&N), and I actually like it.  You can get a better browser, it seemed to run a bit faster, and you have full access to the Market, so I could see someone wanting to download a few things, like Kindle App, Laputa or Aldiko apps (get more free books!),

Google books app, etc.  So while rooting is not for everyone, it can be done with caution, lots of reading of instructions, and patience.

Distinguished Correspondent
Wild_images
0 Kudos

Re: application

There is a video on YouTube on how to root your NC, if you watch the video once, and then follow along and pause it as he walks you through each step, it will take less than 30 minutes.   Everythihng, every link you need, is in the written instructions in the comment section of the video.

It is not complicated, nor is it hard.  

Search youtube for the user name   huskermania

I'm 56 years old, not a techie by any means, and it took me longer to drive to walmart and pick up a micro SD card than it did to complete the entire operation.

Honestly, this is the best set of instructions you will find on rooting your NC.   Nothing, absolutely nothing is left out. 

Once rooted, you have access to the Android Market, and all of your original features on the NookColor still work just fine.   Not every app in the market will work on the NC however.   You do have the option of getting a refund within the first 15 minutes if something doesn't work, and you will know right away if it does or not as you get a notification that it installed.   Even if an app installs and you cannot get it to work, you can then get a refund within 15 minutes, so there is really nothing to lose by trying differnet things. 

There are several wieght watchers apps in the market to choose from too.........

New User
biblethumper
0 Kudos

Does this void the warranty on the NC?

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

The way I understand it is, the Rooting is done with th microSD card.  So once you pull the micro card out of the Nook and restart it will be orginal.  Not the Honeycomb version though.

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

03FLHT2 wrote:

The way I understand it is, the Rooting is done with th microSD card.  So once you pull the micro card out of the Nook and restart it will be orginal.  Not the Honeycomb version though.

Basic rooting does not work like that. I'm not a techie and it took me less than 30 minutes to root my nook. There are complicated ways to do it, and getting Android 2.2 or Honeycomb on the NC is more complicated than a simple root. For a simple root using autonooter 3.0 it does not run off the card.

Unrooting your NC and bringing it back to factory settings is also a fairly simple process but unless I'm selling it there is no way I would unroot.

Frequent Contributor
axios
0 Kudos

Let me ask the question this way - I read somewere were a person can root the NC in such a way, that when you pull the micro card out, and restart the NC, it will be back to original. Is this true?

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

axios wrote:

Let me ask the question this way - I read somewere were a person can root the NC in such a way, that when you pull the micro card out, and restart the NC, it will be back to original. Is this true?

Can someone here PM a link that explains this process and a trusted seller of the MicroSD card?

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

don't purchase one of those pre-created cards from ebay, seriously.

I know it is easy, but they keep updating the sd-card software pretty much every week, so its better to learn how to make them yourself.

All the information you need can be found right here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=864

keywords to look for: SDcard image (stay away from flash/emmc, this will modify your NC)

instructions are always in the first post of the thread, but in order to use the download links, you would likely have to register on those forums. Any questions you might have are likely to have been asked in the same thread as well, and answers for them are likely to be there as well.

Just pick up a $15-$20 8GB sdcard from your local RadioShack or Walmart, and follow the directions there.

The big thing is that you just have to read the directions, thats all.

phoneboy
0 Kudos

So much for being lazy. Damn it...:smileysad:

I guess I will wait for the update and see what we get.

I am really just looking for onboard file managment(PICS!!), notes, better doc support/managment, calender and more vid compatabilty.

I'm sure there are a few more. :smileyhappy:

phoneboy
0 Kudos

Sync my wishlists dang it... :smileymad:

Scribe
dvdcatalyst

:smileyhappy:

Don't get me wrong, you can still buy one of those cards from eBay, but besides the fact that someone other than the people who did all the work for it is raking in the cash, its a waste of money in my opinion because by the time you get the card, a newer, better version is probably already out.

And reading shouldn't be a problem for us NOOK people, It's an eREADER after all :smileyvery-happy: