Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
JimJoe
0 Kudos

books I cannot use showing in my Nook downloads area

Just got my Nook color on July 2, 2011. I am enjoying it so far.

I noticed books I cannot use showing in my nook downloads area.

No kids, but 4 kids books showed up there.

Are there settings I can update/change/edit that will block these free books, etc. from showing up in my nook library ?

I bought the nook color for use at work. I'll be buying computer book for myself to read. The nook and B&N account is mine.

So I need to block the extraneous content from showing up.

Thank you.

Let me set my own genre suggestions. Owner of 3 ereaders.
Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Re: books I cannot use showing in my Nook downloads area

if you want to get rid of them permanently(!) scroll to the top of this screen, roll over "My Account" select "My Nook Library" and scroll down the list and use the "delete" button.

if you want to just store them away and so you don't see them, but can later access them, simply "Archive" them.  Who knows...you may want to entertain a niece or newphew one day ......

Jeremy

Frequent Contributor
JimJoe
0 Kudos

I managed to get them off my account here.

Getting them off the Nook I'm taking to work is also something I need to do.

I can handle being laughed at by co-workers because I had kid books on my nook.

However, if it chooses to show material ready for download that violates company policy, i could get fired.

And that is the important reason the Nook settings should allow me to block anything unless i choose it myself. The nook library can suggest, it shouldn't place those suggestions in my nook as 'ready to download' nor show them on my nook at all.

Frequent Contributor
JimJoe
0 Kudos

I got some of them to archive on my NC. They still show on my shelf.

I don't need the suggestions downloading to my NC. I bought this is for work, not my personal reading.

Probably just take it back. I don't need to put my job in jeopardy.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JimJoe wrote:

Probably just take it back. I don't need to put my job in jeopardy.

Probably for the best, although I can't see how you your job could be in jeopardy by a book showing up as ready for download. I guess your job causes you to be rather paranoid.

For me, I skipped the Out of the Box Experience with my NC, so I can go online and all that and not be tied to my B&N account at all since I have no intention of buying apps or books from B&N.

Frequent Contributor
JimJoe
0 Kudos

Strict policies on workplace harrassment makes me be careful.

As for the delete option, it doesn't show on my NC.

I can shop for an undownloaded book, or archive it. But no delete.

Wordsmith
JinSC

JimJoe,

if you have deleted the book on your B&N account, do the following:

1) turn on your wifi on your NC

2) open library.  select "books"

3) press the sync button (circling arrows in the bottom left corner)

4) books deleted from your account will disappear.

Jeremy

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

JimJoe wrote:

However, if it chooses to show material ready for download that violates company policy, i could get fired.

JimJoe,

one way to control what is shown as ready to download is simply to leave the wifi off until you are home.  That way you could see what is downloaded and deal with it.  however this really shouldn't be an issue....after the initial startup, the only time new things just "show up" is when they do an update.  We all got the cookbook sample whether we wanted it or not.  otherwise, you will control all the material on the NC.  i got an e-mail telling me the new update would be downloaded over a few days and too the option to go to the site and download it on my PC and sideload it to my NC.  so, again, you have control.

Jeremy 

Frequent Contributor
JimJoe
0 Kudos

Thank you. I'll try that next time I get near wi-fi I trust.

I don't use it at home.

I realize B&N makes money by selling books; however, non-work related items could get me in trouble.

I would prefer a way to block suggestions from downloading to the NC without my permission.

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

JimJoe wrote:

I would prefer a way to block suggestions from downloading to the NC without my permission.

JimJoe,

nothing will be downloading to the NC without your permission except for standard updates.  there has only been one this year and the only visible item was the aforementioned cookbook sample and some children's books, which you have learned to delete.  the rest of the update dealt with changes to the OS and to the way memory was partitioned.

Jeremy

Frequent Contributor
Wisdana
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JimJoe,

The children's books on your nook color were most likely free samples. All new nooks

have them.

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

You have bought a branded product with a license agreement. You might want to read it and see that B&N has a right to certain actions. Their branded product comes with some sample books, like the children's books.

Since this device is synchronized to a main storage site, you may want to make sure all locations are synchronized to the same state. First move the unwanted books to the archive on your Nook Color and synchronize your library on the Nook Color. Then log into you B&N account and go to your library section. Then delete the unwanted books from you B&N Account Library.

The only book you can not delete is the Good Housekeeping Cook Book sample.

The EULA, End User License Agreement, is pretty standard and is an outgrowth of the "shrink wrap" agreements from the late 1970's and personal computer development.

Frequent Contributor
JimJoe
0 Kudos

The childrens' books aren't an issue. Neither is the cookbook. I did research on here before I posted. I know the cookbook excerpt is part of the ereader upgrade.

As for the shrink wrap EULAs, they were thumped by the US federal courts.

Jeremy was the closest to giving me the info I needed with his replys.

Putting a suggestion in 'my nook' library isn't the issue either.

By the way, I've worked with computers for over 20 years and I have a 4-year degree in programming. So I know that adding the ability to filter the suggestions should be exceedingly easy. Filtering has been available for more years than i have fixed and admined computers.

A NC owner should be able to filter out any subject hint they don't want to see.

Afterall, a happy purchaser buys books, an unhappy purchaser goes elsewhere.

And I do spend around a thousand dollars per year at my local B&N store on books.

I got all long winded there, so folks will realize I'm not new to computers, nor new to B&N. I'm not doing it to be sarcastic.

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This is user to user forum and not B&N customer service. Maybe you should contact them or the president of B&N with your issues.

I buy some of my technical books from O'Riely and can get them in printed, PDF, ePub etc and they have no DRM applied to them With Adobe Reader and Adobe Digital Editions, I have access the electronic formats on my Nook Color and PC. And since I can put the files on a USB they are very portable.

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

JimJoe,

i feel your pain with the loss of control with computers.  while i have come to appreciate the features available in windows, i still bemoan the loss of control i had over my computer back in the old ms-dos days.  i remember when you had to go and create a new "branch" on your root directory to install a new program.  i know it is easier to simply "install" these days, but i knew where all my programs were and i could "prune" them and reinstall if needed.  yeah, it was a pain having to go in and add lines to the auto.exec and config.sys files, but again, i knew what was happening with my computer.  these days programs write themselves into files all over your computer.

oh, well....as i said, i do like the features and i love my NC.  I hope that your issues can be resolved and that you will find your NC to be a valuable and enjoyable tool.

Jeremy

Correspondent
FARIEQUEENE
0 Kudos

A few childrens book samples as well as two or three classics comes along with your initial NC purchase, actually... to be more specific, with the account when you activate it.  You can go on your BN account on your PC and delete those and they wont show up, after that, you shouldn't have any samples show up for free again unless you download them.  It is a one time thing and shouldnt be an issue.

-Thanks

Shonda

"I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king."
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

I guess my question stems from plain curiousity. Did your employer buy this or did you? If you bought it, I don't see what right an employer has to tell you whhat you can have on it. Do they tell you what apps you can have on your phone, providing it is your property? I further would question whether any employer would have a problem understanding that you might have non-work items on your personal device, as long as you aren't reading them, or playing Angry Birds on work time. Just wondering.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

JimJoe,

Move your books into a separate new folder.

NookColor:\My Files\Books\Your Folder.

Create a blank .nomedia in notepad, and save it as type "all files" and not .txt. Side-load it into your folder. The books wil not appear in library/my shelves and library/books. They will still appear in the list in library/my files, but no covers will show anywhere in the NC. The covers are blocked.

JimJoe wrote:

Just got my Nook color on July 2, 2011. I am enjoying it so far.

I noticed books I cannot use showing in my nook downloads area.

No kids, but 4 kids books showed up there.

Are there settings I can update/change/edit that will block these free books, etc. from showing up in my nook library ?

I bought the nook color for use at work. I'll be buying computer book for myself to read. The nook and B&N account is mine.

So I need to block the extraneous content from showing up.

Thank you.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:
I guess my question stems from plain curiousity. Did your employer buy this or did you? If you bought it, I don't see what right an employer has to tell you whhat you can have on it. Do they tell you what apps you can have on your phone, providing it is your property? I further would question whether any employer would have a problem understanding that you might have non-work items on your personal device, as long as you aren't reading them, or playing Angry Birds on work time. Just wondering.

That was my question also, it sounds like the OP purchased the Nook and is using his/her personal account.  I guess I also don't understand how they can tell you what can and cannot be on a personal device.  I work in a very closed environment, to the point that I cannot connect a personal mouse to my work computer, but even then, I don't know that they'd ever be able to say something about what was on my Nook, if I purchased.

I guess the only thing I can see is if there is something on the Nook that some might consider sexual harassment or something, and you showed the Nook to someone and they saw it, but I've never know B&N to actually put something like that on the device.  Maybe shows up in a search.  But again, I'm curious like Deemure.