Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
cathlynb6
0 Kudos

charger not working

I just noticed my charger is displaying red light instead of yellow indicating that it is charging. Anyone else have this problem???

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Re: charger not working

Possibly a bad cord. You could go to a B&N store and have them check it out for you. Or, call CS. Either way, be prepared to have one shipped to you, since even if the cord is bad, often stores don't have replacements.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
stolenmoment
0 Kudos

I'm seeing the green "n" on my cable stay green, but the NC isn't charging.  Is this a common failure mode?  It remedied itself the first time, but it seems pretty solid now.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

stolenmoment wrote:

I'm seeing the green "n" on my cable stay green, but the NC isn't charging.  Is this a common failure mode?  It remedied itself the first time, but it seems pretty solid now.

I have noticed that the n will be green when fully charged or if the cord connector is not making a good connection to the NC.  Example:  I have my NC plugged in and charging.  The n is yellow.  I move the NC, bump the cord, hear the tone that indicates it disconnected.  The n is green.  I check the charging status on the NC and it says "not charging".  I have the NC plugged into a power strip.  I turn the power strip off then on again and hear the tone, the n is yellow, look at the charging status and it says charging and the percentage charged it is currently.

I believe it is confusing to people.  They see the n is green and assume the NC is fully charged, then whoops all of a sudden it will not turn on, even when plugged in.  What most likely happens in this case is somehow it disconnected and was actually discharging and then discharged past a certain point.  At that point even plugging it in will not immediately help it to turn on.  It needs to reach a certain state of charge before it can be turned back on.  If the NC isn't turning back on and the plug isn't making good contact, it will not ever turn back on until a good cord is connected to the NC and charger.  It may look like the NC is just dead, when it's a bad cord or connection.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
stolenmoment
0 Kudos

False alarm on my part -- it appears to be a software glitch in recent CM7 nightlies that I haven't seen reports of before.

Rebooting the tablet got charging started again.  This happened the first time, too, but I didn't associate the events; my NC shut down due to low battery (while plugged in!) and I left it on the desk, only to find it booted and charging a few minutes later.  I assumed a physical cause of some sort.

This morning I went to a B&N storefront and discovered that neither a new cable nor one powering a display model worked, either, so I expected to have to return the unit.

Now at work, I plugged in (useless habits die hard), performed a full backup (preparing for a new unit), and powered off.  The "n" turned yellow and the light dawned over Marblehead...