Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
GeeMon2010
0 Kudos

comiXology Android Comic Book App

[ Edited ]

When the NOOKcolor was announced I thought it would make a great comic book reader.  I bought a NOOKcolor a couple of weeks ago with the hope that the comiXology comic book app would be available for it and that Barnes & Noble would start selling digital comics.

Well, my plans are coming closer to fruition because comiXology has announced the beta release of their comic book app for the Android market.  comiXology's Guided View technology makes reading comic books on my small PSP screen a very enjoyable and natural experience so it will only be much better on the NOOKcolor's bigger screen.

Well, anyways, here's what I hope happens next:

1) The Nook app store will carry the comiXology comic book app.

2) Barnes & Noble will also start selling digital comic books.

3) They set things up so that my digital comiic book collection exists "in the cloud" and I can use any of my reading devices (NOOKcolor, Nook app for Android, PC, iOS etc.) to read them.

Frequent Contributor
Mr_Gone
0 Kudos

Re: comiXology Android Comic Book App

or ComicZeal

But ive been using Calibre

Frequent Contributor
ssakuras
0 Kudos

I'm not sure about comic books yet, but I know that manga will become available on the Nook and Nook Color. DMP has already released volume 1 of Vampire Hunter D in 2 parts for both systems. They're working on getting more of their titles available so I'm very excited because I'm a huge manga fan!

I don't get my Nook Color until Christmas so I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I know it plays jpg and png files so I'm thinking it might be possible to download comic books that way and upload the image files onto the Nook Color and read them that way? I'm not sure how easy it is to browse images on the NC yet so I can't say for sure if it'd be a viable option but it's an idea.

I suppose you could also make the cbz/cbr files or image files into a PDF file but.. I'm absolutely horrible at doing that so I just gave up lol! I always end up somehow cutting off the bottom portion of the images hehe. :smileytongue:

Frequent Contributor
ssakuras
0 Kudos

Oh yea I forgot to put the link! Here's a link to DMP's blog if you're interested in seeing some actual photo's of how the Vampire Hunter D looks on the Nook Color.

http://www.digitalmanga.com/blog/852/dmi-titles-available-on-the-bn-nook-and-nook-color

Correspondent
draksig
0 Kudos

I am a manga fan and I hope that manga on the nook color takes off big time.  

Correspondent
draksig
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Note: DMP seems to sell a lot of Yaoi so watch out if that is not your cup of tea once it becomes available.

Frequent Contributor
robodojo
0 Kudos

The hope that one day soon I will be able to read comics, in addition to novels, was what inspired me to buy a NOOKcolor!

Barnes & Noble, please take note and get us a comic app and sell us comic books for our NOOKcolor!

Contributor
JorgTheElder
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
ssakuras
0 Kudos

Haha actually I own lots of yaoi manga already.. @_@ They take up a LOT of space on my poor bookshelf! I haven't bought anything new lately because I just simply didn't have the room for it, which is another reason I got the Nook Color even if only just for regular books.. no more room left! :smileytongue:

Yaoi is not the only thing I read though, and now that I'm married I actually don't really read any at all! I've read a couple of my old favorite shounen-ai titles like Boy Princess and Let Dai from Netcomics but I haven't read any actual yaoi in a good couple years. Though he wouldn't mind even if I did heh. 

I'm currently rewatching Hunter x Hunter and once I finish the TV show and OVA I'm going to finish the series up with the end of the manga because they stopped creating the anime after a point. O.O I never knew that before and I wondered why there seemed to be such an abrupt end. 

I'm also rewatching my old childhood favorites of Sailor Moon and Pokemon! 

So essentially any manga on the nook will make me happy, I'm not too picky lol. The more variety the better, because I don't like sticking to one genre of anime. 

As for comics, I don't read too many but I would certainly start if they got them on the Nook Color!!!! I've always wanted to get into reading comics but just couldn't justify buying them when I don't have room anymore now that I'm living on my own and out of my parents. 

XD Husband wants me to go sit on the couch with him for a bit while he watches a Resident Evil movie so got to go. <3

Frequent Contributor
ssakuras
0 Kudos

But as a side note, I hope that once one publisher starts making their manga available on the Nooks that others will follow their lead which will result in the wide variety of manga available that I hope for. :smileytongue: Sometimes all it takes is one group to start something to make things greater than they already are. 

Contributor
CPav
0 Kudos

If you're on a windows based machine, the comic book reading program ComicRack has an export option that allows you to export the cbr or cbz file as a pdf.  It works great.

Frequent Contributor
ssakuras
0 Kudos

Ah, thank you! I'll try downloading that program and see how it works hehe. :smileytongue: