Contributor
Knittymama1
0 Kudos

cracked screen-can I fix it?

Any way to fixed a cracked Nook Color screen yourself? My husband is very capable with this stuff, just need to know how to do and and where to get the parts. Please tell me this is possible! :-(

Distinguished Correspondent
lvmync
0 Kudos

Re: cracked screen-can I fix it?

[ Edited ]

I think you are going to have to talk to the B&N Customer Service people. Doing a search on Google I came up empty for the NC screen. Also I would post this on the NOOKcolor Technical Support forum and see if anyone can help.  :smileysad:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

American by birth, Texan by the grace of my Parents.
Contributor
Knittymama1
0 Kudos

Thanks, I'll post there as well.

I came up with nothing on google either, thanks for looking.

Contributor
gryjl
0 Kudos

I hate to sound too stupid but did you check to see if it was covered under the warranty? Just a thought. And it might help others, including me, should I have the same problem with in the next year.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

If it's not under warranty, you should do a search for the folks who do Iphone repairs.  The screens for all of these devices are available, and some of these guys are quite good. 

My gf dunked her iphone at about day 2 of owning it.  We tried the rice trick (google's your friend) to no avail.  I called one fo the folks who does screen repair to inquire about repair possibilities, and he flat wouldn't sell me parts:  he said that if the screen was replaced but the motherboard had gotten wet, that I wouldn't be happy and he wouldn't want me to be dissatisfied with a substandard repair. 

I was pretty impressed. 

Later that week we found that the Apple repair - even if you don't buy the high dollar plan - does in fact cover replacing after water damage.  You need to know that's been  written about by Apple before you start, because many Apple employees don't know that it's true. 

I don't know what B and N policy is here. 

I know the screens for the iphones cost about 90 dollars, and about 135 to have the repair shop fit them for you. It's entirely possible that someone who can source an Apple screen can source a Nook screen - they're almost certainly either both coming from the same vendor or from vendors whose resellers know both product lines well. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe

If you want to attempt it here is some information:

The display is a: LG LD070WS1 (SL)(02)

You can search eBay for one. About 70.00 ish

Her is a video on how to take it apart:

http://www.youtube.com/user/xXAndroidGuruXx#p/a/u/​1/3SVO2JCgqPM

How to re-assemble it

http://www.youtube.com/user/xXAndroidGuruXx#p/a/u/​0/-NNo75HhVzM

Tear down:

http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/nookcolor-teard​own/487294?tag=thumbnail-view-selector;get-photo-...

Good luck!!!!

Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

If it's not under warranty, you should do a search for the folks who do Iphone repairs.  The screens for all of these devices are available, and some of these guys are quite good. 

My gf dunked her iphone at about day 2 of owning it.  We tried the rice trick (google's your friend) to no avail.  I called one fo the folks who does screen repair to inquire about repair possibilities, and he flat wouldn't sell me parts:  he said that if the screen was replaced but the motherboard had gotten wet, that I wouldn't be happy and he wouldn't want me to be dissatisfied with a substandard repair. 

I was pretty impressed. 

Later that week we found that the Apple repair - even if you don't buy the high dollar plan - does in fact cover replacing after water damage.  You need to know that's been  written about by Apple before you start, because many Apple employees don't know that it's true. 

I don't know what B and N policy is here. 

I know the screens for the iphones cost about 90 dollars, and about 135 to have the repair shop fit them for you. It's entirely possible that someone who can source an Apple screen can source a Nook screen - they're almost certainly either both coming from the same vendor or from vendors whose resellers know both product lines well. 

Keep in mind, that if you crack your iPhone screen....you can get a replacement kit off ebay for 10 or 15 dollars.  Even comes with tools for opening the phone which Apple doesn't want you to know that you can do.

And it works...my son has had to do his twice.

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Yes, it can be fixed.

It's an LG LD070WS1 display.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LG-7-inch-LCD-screen-LD070WS1-SL02-New-Spare-/160567104167

$69 plus $11 shipping or just google that part number

Take apart (and thus reverse to put together) here:

http://www.zdnet.com/photos/nookcolor-teardown/487636?seq=41&tag=photo-frame;get-photo-roto

That presumes the touchscreen is part of the display.   

---------
Don
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

I'm delighted to have the stock # on the screen.  This is the sort of thing I'd cheerfully do for myself.  But if it happens to the gf's nook, I might still take it to one of the guys San Jose for the repair, so's there's a different neck to choke if something goes sideways.  :smileyhappy:

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
DarbleyT
0 Kudos

Do you know if anybody has successfully purchased a replacement screen and installed it back into nook color?  and more importantly...does it work?  From the picture on eBay, it doesn't show the touch screen controller.  That makes me nervous to pull the trigger as my display works fine, minus a tiny crack on the right side.  I accidentally sat on the NC and the touch screen stopped working from about an 1inch off the bottom and up (right by the crack).  I will gladly buy a new screen if it fixes my problems, but don't want to drop $80 without finding out first.