Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
mernan
0 Kudos

downloading dvd's on a nook color

just received a nookcolor, can you down load dvd's of music and or movies to the nook color?

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Re: downloading dvd's on a nook color

mernan wrote:

just received a nookcolor, can you down load dvd's of music and or movies to the nook color?

Hi mernan,

Yes you can. There are a couple of threads on this on these forums

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/Dvd-to-Nook-Dvd-Catalyst-4-Thumb...

or you can follow my guide:

http://www.tools4movies.com/2011/01/dvd-to-nookcolor/

For some sample videos on what the NOOKcolor is capable of, have a look here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/Movie-Trailers-for-your-NOOK-Str...

If you visit the Movie Trailer-weblink on your NOOK, you can just tap the MP4 video links to stream them.

Frequent Contributor
axios
0 Kudos

Dvd are awesome on the nook color. Dvdcatalyst is worth every penny. Excellent product
New User
eaglebald
0 Kudos

Yes, you can, but you must rip dvd to mp4 for nook color, the nook color can not direct play dvd on nook color.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238

[ Edited ]

eaglebald wrote:

Yes, you can, but you must rip dvd to mp4 for nook color, the nook color can not direct play dvd on nook color.

How about you stop spamming the boards now?

kthxbye.

Wordsmith
JinSC

Nallia,

he's no competition for DVD Catalyst....too pricey and DVD C is so helpful. 

Jeremy

New User
brorm2tsmac
0 Kudos

Although my post is a bit late, I hope it could be useful to you.

What you need to do is to convert DVD discs to H.264 MP4 at first, and then transfer the converted videos to Nook Color.

What I am using is this smart DVD to Nook Color converter program: Brorsoft DVD Ripper.

At first, add the DVD disc or DVD folders to the program, and then choose the titles/chapters you would like to convert and select the subtitles/audio tracks, then choose "Nook Color (*.mp4)" in the Android template as output format. At last, click the convert button to start converting.

The best important factor appropriates me to choose it is its large variety of video formats. I feel it is very dependable and does exactly what I need it to do. Overall I am very happy with it and feel it was a good investment of my money. So I thinks it's worth to try and you can have a free trial at first.

Correspondent
tuck229

eaglebald wrote:

Um, you do realize that the Nooks pictured on that site are 1st generation Nooks and not Nook Color devices?

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

(yawn) too much trouble, think I'll read a book instead....

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

For anyone new to the conversation, I think the consensus is that for the NC the best commercial product is DVD  Catalyst, in part because it's very reasonably priced and in part because the developer actively supports the product on these forums.

If you're more of a self-service person, Handbrake is a free tool with a lot of options that works great, and there are posts describing the right Handbrake settings out and about. 

Both of these tools involve using your computer to conver the DVD to a file playable on the NC, and then sideloading the file. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

Yep...for the absolutely reasonable price, ease of download and use, the broad range of options, and the truly magnificent level of personal and consistent support by the developer, I agree that DVD Catalyst 4 by tools4movie.com is the BEST "paid" option for this purpose! ( not an employee, just a vey happy customer )
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Reader
angel200
0 Kudos

I have a number of DVDs lining the back of the cabinet, below are three program i have used to rip DVD's:

1. Handbrake. (free)

2. DVDshrink + Online video converter. (free)

3. ImToo DVD Ripper ultimate (shareware)

Note: ImToo has nothing to do with me, i just think this product is decent for DVD ripping.

P.s. I heared that VLC Media Player also can be used for ripping DVD's, but i have not used this program. Anyone who have used it can introduce it here.

Frequent Contributor
Radecliffe
0 Kudos

I just spent this weekend ripping several DVD's to my NC uing DVD Catalyst.  I think it is a nice, easy to use tool.  Much better than Handbrake IMO.  Handbrake might be ok but way too many settings and not enough info on what the settings do.  

My only complaint is that I had no luck ripping the DVD copy of a Blu-Ray movie I have.  I don't have a Blu-Ray drive for my PC, DVD Catalyst did not recognize the DVD copy of the movie and I couldn't find a way to crack the DRM of the digital copy.  

Honestly I won't be buying any more movies on Blue-Ray until they get off theirr duffs and support digital copies on Android devices.  

Don't Panic
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Radecliffe wrote:

I just spent this weekend ripping several DVD's to my NC uing DVD Catalyst.  I think it is a nice, easy to use tool.  Much better than Handbrake IMO.  Handbrake might be ok but way too many settings and not enough info on what the settings do.  

My only complaint is that I had no luck ripping the DVD copy of a Blu-Ray movie I have.  I don't have a Blu-Ray drive for my PC, DVD Catalyst did not recognize the DVD copy of the movie and I couldn't find a way to crack the DRM of the digital copy.  

Honestly I won't be buying any more movies on Blue-Ray until they get off theirr duffs and support digital copies on Android devices.  

Which movie was it that you were experiencing complications with?

For the movies I know of that have complications, I have instructions on my website:

http://www.tools4movies.com/dvds/

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
0 Kudos