Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Guyon
0 Kudos

ez PDF reader vs. Quickoffice Pro PDF Reader

Anyone have both?  Which is the better PDF reader for picture intensive books.  I tried the built in PDF reader and it just choked on some of the things I tried to load.

Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe

Re: ez PDF reader vs. Quickoffice Pro PDF Reader

I would also love to know that answer.

Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
Frequent Contributor
Guyon
0 Kudos

No one has a compassion? I am sure that I am not the only one interested in a working PDF reader that can handle a more meaty file.

Reader 4
CBR-Photo
0 Kudos

ez PDF is much better than either the native PDF or the QuickOffice Pro PDF readers. I have a PDF that has a background gradient to the pages, for example, which is displayed properly in ez PDF while the other two won't display the page background gradient.

I would like to know if there is a way to set it up so that ez PDF is the default program for opening up PDFs.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

CBR-Photo wrote:

ez PDF is much better than either the native PDF or the QuickOffice Pro PDF readers. I have a PDF that has a background gradient to the pages, for example, which is displayed properly in ez PDF while the other two won't display the page background gradient.

I would like to know if there is a way to set it up so that ez PDF is the default program for opening up PDFs.

So are you required to use an sd card at all times while running this program (ez PDF reader)? If so, I'll take a pass.

Reader 2
FortressLad
0 Kudos

Yep, the biggest problem is that you can only read off the SD card.  Plus, while you can read files from anywhere on the card, it works better when you put them under their own directory. The only other problem is the lack of documentation.  However if you view the "About" screen, it gives a bunch of info in the version history.

That being said, it still is a much better reader than what came with the Nook.  No more screen fit or zooming problems.  You can see the outline of the file. You can highlight passages, and it remembers where you left off. 

If you read PDFs and you don't mind using a SD card, I definitely recommend it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

But the actual ez PDF reader program is stored on the Nook itself, right? Not on the memory card, I hope. I suppose I could keep my pdfs on cards, as long as the reader is on the main device. I use multiple cards.

Frequent Contributor
Ostracus
0 Kudos

The ironic thing about the EzPDF program is it can't seem to open the PDF that came with it.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
0 Kudos

Guyon wrote:

Anyone have both?  Which is the better PDF reader for picture intensive books.  I tried the built in PDF reader and it just choked on some of the things I tried to load.

There are two built-in PDF viewers;  the one that's part of the reader, and one that's part of Quickoffice.  The latter one supports landscape  and pinch-zoom.

I've gone with Adobe Reader for Android (free in Android market) in order to display very big PDF files, but for other purposes, I find the Quickoffice one quite adequate.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Correspondent
cybersmoke53

I purchased the ezPDF reader before the Quickoffice Pro was available so I went ahead an got both due to extra featues in the Pro office version for docs and spreadsheets.

The ezPDF will open and  display "image" pdfs - for me most image pdfs  are pages of sheet music tablature I scanned into a pdf doc format .. whereas the Quickoffice Pro Pdf Viewer still shows our favorite big red X. This means with ezPDF I can take my Nook to music practice instead of big huge paper notebook full of paper music.  

Both ezPDF and Quick Office Pro Pdf viewer will now display a big pdf atv repair manual that has lots of photos and text whereas the stock quick office pdf viewer would only show text with big red X on many pages.  My husband finds pictures in the manuals more helpful than big red X.

As discussed above ezPDF needs  the miniSD card for use but so does the Quick Office Pro package.  I got Quick office pro mainly because you can not only view but create, edit, and save your documents and spreadsheets... but local on your Nook saving seems to be only on a miniSD card or else you can save to a remote Cloud space account like Google Docs or Dropbox.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

cybersmoke53 wrote:

As discussed above ezPDF needs  the miniSD card for use but so does the Quick Office Pro package.

It does? Great. Just great. If that's the case, I'll stick with the stock pdf viewer.

Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

cybersmoke53 wrote:

As discussed above ezPDF needs  the miniSD card for use but so does the Quick Office Pro package.

Quick Office Pro Help only works on-line. There is a section in help that implys this app opens documents stored on an SD card. I just got off the phone with B&N Techical support. The technician tried to open documents on the NC drive using Quick Office Pro, but could not do it. He said I need a mini SD card for Quick Office Pro to work. 

Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

Correction: I ment microSD card.

Contributor
ezray
0 Kudos

Not sure why some of you are so against a microSD card.  I just bought one yesterday for the sole purpose of using ezPDF and I've been very pleased...it is a far better experience then the original PDF reader. 

SImply load the microSD chip, download ezPDF and you're in business.  At first I used theUSB cable to sideload my PDF manuals, but then found it easier to just plug the microSD into my laptop, move files to it, then place it back in NC.

Easy access to ezPDF in "apps" folder.  Easy to organize multiple volumes.  Far better search function.  Displays contents with links to each chapter... Easy to highlight sections. Displays charts and graphs with no problem.  Can use upright or planform (though when in planform, you turn pages using up and down arrows rather then left to right) There is no user manual I could find, so it takes some time to fumble around the different icons, but in the end, I am exremely happy with how it works.

Reader
Cheezr

I have only used ezPDF but the program is fast and very capable, the bad news is that there appears to be no online help of any kind and you do have to figure out what some features are and how to use them.

On the topic of microSD cards, WTF people? I picked up a 4GB microSD for less than $7.00 give me a break!

Did any of the people wringing their hands over purchasing a very inexpensive microSD card spend this much emotional energy before buying their $250 nook?

Just wondering?

CZR

Contributor
GuySh
0 Kudos

Is the text highlighting option works well on the EzPdf ?

Also - did anyone tried to save the pdf after highlighting, making notes... and open them an their PC ?  

Reader 4
dmmay
0 Kudos

The question about highlighting is one I also had about ezPDFreader.  I can do sticky notes, but I cannot figure out how to do any other annotations. 

Contributor
dtkpmom
0 Kudos

If you press and hold on a chararacter (letter or number or typed symbol) and the program recognizes it as "text"  you will get more options than just making a note.  you can then highlight.  If you are trying on a scanned document, you may have trouble hightlighting unless the program can recognize it as "text".   Pdfs that are made by "printing" will have the best success in being able to highlight.    I was able to get it to regocnize some of the text as text on a scanned document but not all of it.  It does seem to retain the highlights, but you can't remove them.  When you first go to highlight, it asks if you want to make an copy for annotation say yes if you want to keep the original pdf clean, say no if you don't care.

Contributor
z3000zee
0 Kudos

Thanks.  I have been trying to figure out the highlighting feature for at least an hour.

New User
HawkMD
0 Kudos

I just picked up my Nook Color last week.  I checked out the many APPs and as luck would have it, I realized that some APPs are pretty much the same.  That said, I will begin to pull some of them off the Nook Color.

I have both the Quickoffice Pro and ezPDF Reader.  I find the Quickoffice application as a great way to read the PDFs as it also finds them on the Nook Color/SD card very easy.  I am not able to make notes and such with the Quickoffice application but was able to with ezPDF Reader.  The problem that I am having with the ezPDF Reader is that I was only able to find one of the PDFs to play with.  I have no clue how to locate the other PDFs on my Nook Color/SD card via ezPDF Reader menu.  This makes it more difficult as I am not sure where to place the PDFs on the SD card.  Yes, I can search for the files after exiting ezPDF Reader and find them just fine.  I think that I need to break all Man Rules and locate the directions.